KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image

Izizwe Township Projects

A wonderful, unforgettable and very formative experience

Last year I went to Port Elizabeth, South Africa to do volunteer work in Walmer Township for three weeks. Overall I can say that it was an unforgettable and formative experience.
I was involved in a holiday program for children living in the township. Together with other volunteers I came up with games which we played with the children. We did dances and sport activities and it was all about fun which we and the children definitely had.
The weekends were free and if one wanted to one could have done trips which was a great thing. I made a Safari tour and visited a holiday village where I did activities like hiking and whale watching.

I lived in a house nearby together with other volunteers. Due to the fact that we were all from different countries, this was also an intercultural experience, as we all spoke different languages and had different traditions. Everyone was really nice, we cooked and ate together every evening and always had a lot of fun. I made two very good friends also from Germany and we are still in contact. One of them is in Port Elizabeth again right now because she liked the last time so much and wants to do volunteer work for a longer time now.

Sometimes it was very hard to go from the township back to our house and later back to Germany, as the people in the township are poor and have a different standard of living than we have in Germany. That is what I mean by saying it was a formative experience. After doing volunteer work in a country like South Africa one appreciates everything one has much more. I was very sad when I had to leave Port Elizabeth, also because I felt like not having done enough to help in the long run. In my opinion three weeks are too short for volunteer work.
Still, it is great to give the children love and to have a nice time with them.

Painting in the township

At Khaya Volunteer Projects, everything is arranged! This is really convenient. In the morning we get picked up and in the afternoon we are dropped back at the volunteer house.

At the Walmer Township we got to paint a children’s day-care with all the volunteers. This was lots of fun to do while the children from the day-care were really happy with it!

Izizwe projects

I had a great experience! I learned a lot about life and most of all appreciate what you have.
There is so much you can do for other people. I think you need to help whenever you can!
My internship was the best I ever had.

Fleur's experience

Meeting all the friendly people was really the best experience that I've had. Besides this I also really enjoyed the special holiday program, however this was poorly planned. Literacy lessons were great, those women were amazing!
Things to improve would be a bit more clear information about the project before hand and longer working days as well.
I would definitely recommend this project to others because the people are really amazing.