Kent State University - Office of Global Education Header Image Kent State University - Office of Global Education Header Image

Kent State University-Geneva

Amazing for Internships and Traveling!

If you're looking at Kent State's program, then you either know or should know about Boston University's program in Geneva, which has dual foci in international health and international relations. BU is $10,000 more expensive, has much harder courses (very hard), and fewer opportunities to travel.

The KSU program is cheaper and the courses are more laid back. You also have more opportunities to travel. To give perspective, I spent Monday - Wednesday at internship, then Thursday - Sunday traveling throughout Europe on a Eurail pass (I visited 10 countries in all). The students I knew on the BU program had class Monday - Friday, and less time at their internship (first half of semester spent in classes M-F, then last half you spend at internship. I spent all semester working at my internship (more valuable experience, in my opinion) and also taking courses). The courses on KSU's program are geared more towards political science and international relations. I had absolutely nothing to do with those to be honest, but the internship with the United Nations was too good to pass up.

KSU has amazing internships. There's no disputing that. That is the heart of the program and should honestly be the main reason any student comes all the way to the world's 3rd most expensive city to study abroad. Dr. Peters is amazing in this part and has great connections all over the city. The fact that you can intern with the United Nations as an undergrad is undervalued sometimes--it opens up so many, SO MANY, opportunities in the future. Even if the program is expensive for the average student, such an internship opportunity pays off in the longer run.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, but that was mainly because of my internship. You will be more independent in this program--there's no formal office for KSU in Geneva, though you have an RM.

Getting the internship is another thing. You don't know if everyone will be going for the UN internships, but you should apply anyways because an internship in Geneva is great as international experience. Put simply, I wouldn't have been on KSU's program if it weren't for its fantastic internship opportunities. The classes were actually nice, really nice, as chief economist of WTO and well respected professionals taught us. Traveling you kind of make your own schedule. If you're comparing to BU's program, KSU is the best choice for the money and time at the internship.

If you're considering study abroad in general, think: you can travel to a country at any time in your life. Do something abroad that you could only do as a student, such as intern with the UN or other agencies (e.g. ICTSD) while traveling to other countries in Europe. That is what makes this study abroad unique and one of the best (and lesser well known, unfortunately) in the business.

Opportunity of a lifetime

Dr. Peters, the director of the program, worked closely with me to get me the best internship I could get! She is on a first name basis with recruiters from an endless list of international organizations. She can strike up a conversation with almost any of them about their kids' latest hobbies. She got me a competitive internship at ICTSD, where most of my fellow interns hailed from serious schools like Stanford and I was the only undergraduate there! Needless to say, I could never have scored an internship like that on my own.

The housing was bad, but thats just the nature of the beast. Geneva is EXTREMELY expensive and housing is very hard to come by. As expensive as it was to rent homestay, 700/mo, I don't think you could find anything cheaper. But it was a bed, and I spent most of my time travelling and in hostels anyway :)

The economics professors were incredible. Two of them had worked at the World Trade Organization and Dr. Low is currently the chief economist there. Had plenty of time to pick his brain as many of our classes were held at the local tavern ;)

A very SMALL program. The course options are limited but they were perfect for Political Science/International Studies/Economics majors. Very limited staff in Geneva, you have to be pretty independent.

Balancing 20+ hours at my internship, 18 hrs of class, 3-4 hrs a day in commuting, and a eurotrip every weekend was hard... so I didn't...I worked hard and played hard and it was worth every minute and every dime... I spent the next semester drinking on the beach in Panama to recuperate

It's a great program for internships and...

It's a great program for internships and exposure to the international organizations headquartered in Geneva. The lax academic schedule and content really allowed me to get the work experience I wanted from my internship placement. Also, a Eurorail pass was part of the tuition so every Thursday - Sunday I travelled to a new country / city. The housing situation is awful but whatever, working and traveling for 4 months is a great bargain.

Also, be aware that BU has a similar program that costs $10,000 more -- a MUCH harder curriculum, limited travel opportunities and less time at the actual internship.