KCP International Japanese Language School KCP International Japanese Language School

Lincoln University Summer in Japan Business and Anime

I couldn't have asked for a better study abroad experience.

I went to KCP for one semester (about 3 months) for a fall/winter semester from October to December, and I loved every second of it. It's very intense in its academics, and you learn a LOT just in first year. You complete 22 chapters in the text book and learn about 150 kanji just in the 3 months. (I personally can't speak for the other levels, but my friends seemed to have just as positive experiences as I did). It's taught all in Japanese, which I know sounds scary if you don't know a lot of Japanese, but it almost makes more sense that way. The teachers are excellent, and the two english support staff are amazing and can help with ANY problem or question you may have relating to school or not. The dorms they provide are excellent even though they can be a long commute, that is very normal in Japan. You use the grammar points you learn in class once you leave the school at restaurants and interacting with Japanese people. I suggest exploring outside the school because all the students are from other countries. Just be sure to explore to get the full experience of Japan, and KCP is there to be the foundation for that. Enjoy!

Great Study Abroad Choice!

My most memorable experience is my time spent in class learning Japanese. The teachers make class very informative and enjoyable. Everyone in class is very friendly and tries to help each other out.

I chose the program because the summer long-term program teaches you almost enough Japanese to complete a year program in America.

The accommodations were very good. I lived in the Ikebukuro dorms thus the commute to school was very short. There are also many foods places so there is never a worry about not having food. It's also not too far from the station so it's very easy to get around. However, in the summer it tends to get hot inside the dorm rooms and there are also a couple bugs. Everything else however makes up for it.

Amazing Experience

Making friends with other international students because when I first arrived, I did not know any Japanese. Most of the other students did not know English so communicating was almost impossible. When I was finally able to hold a conversation with them, it was one of the best accomplishment I ever felt.

I chose it based of reviews from past students and pricing compared to other programs. You really cannot find a program cheaper than this.

I stayed in the dorms and it was small but it had all the basic necessities. It also gave me a general idea of how a Japanese room would be like with their limited amount of space.

The best summer of my life.

There is a large speech contest where the whole school participates. It's a great chance to bond with friends and watch your classmates thrive.

The affordability and the summer short option for US students is why I chose this program.

I lived in Azeria Kasai 2, a dorm in Kasai, Edogawa-ku. Even with the commute it was worth it. The dorm manager Shiraishi-San was very welcoming, had events for us, and became like family.

Great Study Abroad Choice!

For those that want to learn Japanese KCP is one of the best programs to choose. The direct teaching method may seem hard at first but you soon realize that you wouldn't want to learn any other way. The teachers always try to make sure you understand the material very well. On top of all that they also offer English Support classes that review everything you are taught during regular class in English.

Also, if you have any problems during your stay or any questions about life in Japan the English administrative staff are always happy to help you.

Amazing Experience

KCP is one of the most affordable and best programs around for studying abroad. The direct teaching method is by far one of the best techniques I have seen in trying to teach students a new language. At first it may be hard, but it all pays off at the end when you are able to maintain a good conversation at the end of the first term. Could not ask for a better program, staff, and students.

Great Senseis and Teaching styles

The best summer of my life.

KCP is an affordable, reputable and wonderful option for studying abroad. They are varied in their course options, so you can truly find the best option for you. The direct method, Japanese only teaching forces you to grow and learn, and the friendly atmosphere makes you feel included and welcomed.

I chose the Dorm option, and was placed in Azeria Kasai 2, which is a dorm in Kasai.

The best choice I could have made

Coming to KCP was the best choice I could have made for studying in Japan. The administrators are all very helpful, the teachers all care about the students and are always eager to help us succeed, and the intensity of the classes got us ready to interact with Japanese people every day. Of course, you have to work hard. But, if you're willing to put in the time and effort, you will have an incredible, life-changing experience.

Japan is by far the safest and cleanest place I've ever traveled to or stayed at. For example, garbage in the street is a rare occurrence.

Japanese food is the best food I've ever tasted in my entire life. My favorite place to eat is Okonomiyaki. Make sure you go there!

When attending a rigorous program like KCP, you have to be careful of the sort of social life you choose. If you like to party and drink and enjoy being distracted, you might have a hard semester. KCP can be very intense for some people. So, you will need to balance having fun with friends with keeping studying as your main priority. If you can do this, you will do just fine.

There are way too many fabulous spots in Tokyo and my comments on here wouldn't do any of them justice. For great insight into Japan, follow my blog. www.goabroad.net/hsantiago2. It has a ton of helpful info on what to do in Japan, my time at KCP, and how to be thrifty and still have a great time.

Best Study Abroad Program Choice!

I did extensive research into Japanese study abroad programs, and after creating a spreadsheet comparing all the different ones, KCP came out superior, and it truly did. KCP far exceeded my expectations- this truly is a school for the serious language learner. If you want to one day enter a Japanese university or become fluent, this is the school to go to. The workload is tough (especially in level 3), but it is all completely worth it. The teachers only speak Japanese, but they are very good at explaining vocabulary and grammar so that you can understand. The teachers often utilize pictures, drawings, gestures, and examples to help illustrate what a grammar point means. Overall, for how much you get out of the price, this is the best Japanese study abroad program.

The classes are tough and require much effort, but you learn so much! I feel like I learned much more in my 2 months at KCP than I have in 2 semesters back home. The teachers only speak Japanese- they don't even know English, so this truly is the perfect opportunity to improve your speaking skills.

I was in a host family, and I absolutely loved the experience. KCP was able to pair me with an amazing family that could accommodate my food allergies very well. I have a second family now thanks to this experience! Splurge on the extra tuition so that you may have a host family- I have gained so much more than my classmates that are in the dormitories.

There are "student coordinators" that speak all different languages, so that no matter which language you speak, someone from school will be able to help you. There are multiple English speaking coordinators, and they are all incredibly helpful, intelligent, and kind.

Couldn't Have Asked for a Better Study Abroad Experience

KCP is an amazing school and made my study abroad experience unforgettable. I was placed into level 4 (I had been studying Japanese in college for a few years) and found the placement test was spot on, the program is definitely very challenging but also very rewarding. I was learning so much more than I was in my Japanese classes in the states. My classmates were mostly Korean or Chinese and I got to learn about Japanese culture, but Korean and Chinese culture as well!

The teachers and staff at the school are all wonderful and extremely helpful. If you ever run into any problem or have a question, they will gladly help you out. They also do a fantastic job arranging the weekend classes and trips - they might be early in the morning but be sure to take full advantage of them!

Tokyo is a very safe city and I never felt in danger or uncomfortable. Just practice common sense and avoid walking around alone at night and you will be fine.

When I was researching study abroad opportunities in Japan, I couldn't find a single bad comment about KCP; it really is that good.

KCP really is the best study abroad program in Japan. When I was researching different study abroad programs, I couldn't find a single bad comment about KCP. And now I realize why!

1. It's located in the center of Shinjuku, Tokyo: plenty of shopping, bars, arcades, shrines, etc.
2. They use the direct approach. For anyone who is serious about wanting to learn Japanese, COME TO KCP. Even if you HAVE NO JAPANESE KNOWLEDGE, trust me, you can do it! Don't be discouraged; one of my friends here knew absolutely nothing and now we can hold a conversation together.
3. Best adminstrators. Michiko-san and Tanaka-san are here for you all the way. It's clear they really care about the students.

All I can say is this program is exactly what it says it is. And it's awesome. And I definitely recommend it. I've met quite a few people here who are here for the second or third time. No doubt in my mind that I'd love to return!

It says it all over their website: it's an INTENSIVE program, but it is soooo worth it. If you really want to get better at Japanese, KCP is for you. Don't be afraid of the "direct approach" (having class completely taught in Japanese), the teachers are really great about making sure you understand what's going on and helping you out when you need it. Plus there's extra help sessions where they will go over the lesson in English for you.

I was in the Ikebukuro dorm which is only about a 10 minute walk from the train station and then it takes only like half an hour to get to school. Really not bad at all! Plus, it's a beautiful walk between the dorm and the station. There's no meal plan but there's a 7/11 literally right around the corner which has everything.

Even though I only did the short summer term at KCP (8 weeks), they still offered plenty of great experiences such as a bus trip to a castle, natural hot springs, and shrine; kabuki; a traditional tea ceremony; a useful tour of Shinjuku; plus Michiko-san, Ryuhe-san, and Tanaka-san are more than willing to help you out with any situation (they helped me and my friends buy bus tickets and lodging for Fuji-san)!

Simply amazing. I could tell by the first day when we were in orientation that they had thought of it all. KCP is very well organized and keeps you well informed. Like I said before, all the administrators are super helpful with anything you need!

I wish I could give admin an A++

KCP was wonderful. The Ikebukuro dorm room was larger than some I've seen in the US, and the location of the dorms is unbeatable -- it's within 2 minutes' walk of two great restaurants (the Indian restaurant around the corner and the fish restaurant up the road are both amazing and cheap), and about 8 minutes' walk from the train and from the happening area of Ikebukuro (which is quite large and offers lots to do).

The program itself is a blast. Most classrooms were about 1/3 US students and the rest a mix of Korean, Chinese and some Vietnamese students. Learning to speak Japanese in that environment -- where nobody shares any other common language, and you need to learn it in order to communicate with your classmates -- is really rewarding, and having the opportunity to practice with people at your same level of grammar and vocab comprehension is very helpful (people on the street often talk so fast or with such varied vocabulary that they're hard to converse with). The class-time activities are a good mix of student-to-student, student-to-teacher/class, and individual practice. Mostly class is very interactive and engaging. You learn a lot from having to speak and listen in Japanese 100% of the time.

The curriculum is straightforward and effective (do make sure that, if you're going into level one, though, that you've learned katakana and hirigana, and have learned just a little basic vocab and a few common sentences or so. The initial learning curve is *very* steep if you come in knowing absolutely nothing at all), and I can't speak highly enough of the faculty and administration. You really get the impression that everyone working at the school has a genuine interest in your success in and enjoyment of the program and enjoyment of your time in Japan in general. They go to great lengths to make sure that everything runs smoothly and comfortably for students at the school. You really come away feeling like everyone working there is your friend.

I really can't recommend this program enough for anyone considering a term studying Japanese. The only caveat is that the schedule leaves only a few truly free weekends for exploring outside of Tokyo. Class time is only a few hours a day, but if you want to see, say, Osaka, you'll have only one or two three-day weekends in a term to do that, especially if you enroll in the culture class, which takes place mostly on Saturdays. (If you stay for two terms, though, like most people do, then the interim break is about two weeks, and you can fit in all kinds of exploring). Make sure you make good use of your time.

Fantastic Experience

KCP vastly exceeded my expectations on all levels. After taking the placement test, the teachers and staff spend a considerable amount of time talking with me to ensure that I would be placed in the appropriate level. The teachers were always very kind and patient both inside and outside the classroom. After class they would stay a few extra hours to help anyone with questions. Each teacher I had went out of his or her way to make sure that I understood what was being taught in class.

KCP also offers extra support for English speakers, so, even if one might find instruction taught in class difficult, extra help is always available.

The English support staff is awesome as well. They always hung around after class to chat with the students and make sure everything was going okay both at school and at homestay or the dorm.

Overall, I found KCP to be a fantastic experience!!

Your key to Japan

Coming to KCP was the best choice I could have made for schools in Japan. The administration is very helpful, the teachers all care about the students and are always available to help, and the intensity of the classes helps you prepare to interact with Japanese people daily. Of course, you have to work hard. But, if you're willing to put in the effort, you will be rewarded with a life-changing experience.

Japan is by far the safest and cleanest place I've ever been. If you see trash in the street, it would be a rare sighting.

Social Life:
When attending a school like KCP, you have to be careful of the kind of social life you have. If you like to drink and party and are easily distracted, you might have a hard time. This school can be intense for some. So, if you can manage to have fun with friends, but keep studying as your main priority, you will do just fine.

Komae-sensei is sweeter than sugar!

Takatsu-sensei was by far the best kanji teacher: he draws all sorts of little pictures to help students remember the meanings of the kanji. His kanji practice method is highly effective for me. Takatsu- sensei's pictures illustrated many important grammar points.

Many people say that Suzuki-sensei is kowaii (tough), but I like her very much: she does not allow us to get away with being lazy, and she is very kind and patient when help is needed. She exudes strength and I respect her very much. I like her sense of humor.

Komae-sensei is sweeter than sugar! When I had great difficulty and became frustrated, she was always very patient and reassuring. I felt very comfortable approaching her with questions. She has a very maternal feel.

Class was absolutely fantastic; I learned a lot at a fast rate, and I learned with people from completely different cultures.

We understood their purpose and why they were important.

The Kamakura trip with the culture class was the most satisfying. I think it was very satisfying because in the culture class we were able to learn a lot about the different places we were going to visit, and then when we went to those places they seemed a lot more interesting because we understood their purpose and why they were important.

KCP Review

Komae-sensei is sweeter than sugar! When I had
great difficulty and became frustrated, she was
always very patient and reassuring. I felt very
comfortable approaching her with questions. She
has a very maternal feel.

I absolutely adored living in the Minami-Kasai dorm

Everything I encountered at KCP has been very, very valuable to me. Being in a classroom where only Japanese is spoken has greatly improved my understanding and listening skills. It wasn’t so hard to get used to once I accepted it, and then my comprehension really took off.

I absolutely adored living in the Minami-Kasai dorm. There are parks nearby, as well as a little shrine. I had my own little kitchen *and* my own balcony! It’s a great area. The two women who manage the dormitory are the sweetest, most amazing women I have ever met. They were extremely kind to us: teaching us whatever we needed to know about the place slowly and gently. They went out of their way to make us feel at home in the dorm and even made plenty of time to hold conversations with us so we could improve our Japanese in an informal setting.

KCP - Great experience

KCP's greatest strength is its teachers. They truly care about each student's development of Japanese skills. Classes themselves were productive, but I was really surprised by how available the teachers made themselves outside of class. I was able to do regular amounts of conversation practice with teachers, and that kind of dedication to teaching was critical in my improvement in Japanese. Of course, equal amounts of effort need to be put in by the student to reap the full benefits of such a dedicated faculty. Also, the administration was quite helpful and very prompt in answering any questions. The only thing I would do differently is look for my own housing, rather than stay at the dorm. All in all, however, I enthusiastically recommend KCP to a student hoping to improve their Japanese.

I can learn to at least understand new grammar points on my own

Writing example sentences and seeing the corrections on them and on tests was the most helpful to me. I can learn to at least understand new grammar points on my own, but I can't spot my own mistakes.

KCP is a wonderful program

KCP is a wonderful program for those looking to 1) see their Japanese abilities exponentially grow and 2) to experience the culture hands-on. It's also a program for those who don't simply seek to party either. The program's rigorous and demands attention to your school work, health, and managing time in between. Basically, you live, eat, and breathe a Japanese lifestyle. It's great.

The most productive and interesting aspects would have to be the fact that the classes are taught in all Japanese. I mean, every now and again, you have to switch to your mother tongue -- it's inevitable. However, if it wasn't for studying in that kind of intensive setting that forces you to think in the language, I probably wouldn't have advanced as far as I did in Japanese.

I think it's extremely important to be aware of the elements of Japanese culture before immersing yourself in it, and that's exactly what the culture course does. Not only do you learn important historical facts, but you get the chance to peek into Japanese psychology. It's essential for living in Japan, I think.

It's definitely an intensive program.

It's definitely an intensive program, and you have to be willing to work hard to keep up with the class. It is a program for students who seriously want to put a lot of effort into learning Japanese, but also remember to have fun while you are here as time flies by really fast.

KCP Review on Teachers

Kono-sensei is amazing! She is very animated and makes learning Japanese fun. She is very detailed in her explanations.

Kagisawa sensei is especially helpful if I don't understand something. She is very fair and she truly cares about her students.

Best Intensive Study in Tokyo

Out of all the experiences had with KCP, the most memorable for me was going to to Nikko Edomura, a reenactment village where we spent the whole day as a class being immersed in ancient Japan. I was able to get close with my class as well as enjoy mazes, plays, and archery throughout the day.

Students in my program prior to me attended KCP for their study abroad. Based on their great improvement after coming back from Japan, I decided to also try KCP for myself.

The Kasai dormitory is well accommodated with a personal kitchen, bathroom, and heating/air conditioning. The room is spacious and the building also contains a cafeteria with Japanese style meals. A perfect setup for someone who would like personal space as well as the convenience of quick meals and interaction with the cooking staff in Japanese.

Best Intensive Study in Tokyo

When I first started studying at KCP I was worried. My face was thrown right into the dirt with all of the intensity and speed of the classes. After I adjusted, however, it became a valuable experience where I've learned a great wealth that I can take back to school and use in the future when I hope to come back to Japan.

Classes are 3 hours a day every weekday. Expect to learn a lot of grammar, kanji, and do plenty of listening practice in that time. Don't get discouraged, though, it is manageable and KCP's teachers are willing to work with you if you ask for help. If you don't understand or need help, be sure to ask! It works wonders.