Kaya Responsible Travel participant with the locals Kaya Responsible Travel participant with the locals

Marine Conservation in Belize with PADI Certification

Guaranteed to love it!

I spent 6 weeks on this course and I can honestly say this program completely changed my life. Yes, I know how cheesy that sounds but it's true. I arrived as a 17 year old from New Zealand with no real clue or idea what I was doing in life. I had dropped out of school and decided to go volunteer diving on the other side of the world. I didn't even know how to dive. I learnt to dive the weekend before I left and then off I was too Belize.

I left with no plan on what I was doing in life and I came back with no plan yet so much had changed. I came back with a new confidence and excitement towards life. I realised that I didn't have to worry what I was doing today, tomorrow or next year because as I learnt on this program as long as you are enjoying life you are doing something right. At the time of writing this I am a week away from a 6 month trip overseas that I never thought I would be capable of before this program.

This program is exactly what you dream it is, you wake up on a beautiful tropical island every morning and you go diving in one of the most incredible reefs in the world and help preserve its beauty. The staff there are mainly Belizeans and are hilarious and great people. You meet people from all over the world and are immersed in a mix of unique cultures. It is truly incredible.

I honestly can not recommend this program enough, it far exceeded all my expectations. Do yourself a favour and book a flight to Belize.

Unbelizable!

This trip was unbelievable! It was a fantastic way to see A fantastic culture. We just blended in with the locals and our guide was just amazing. The only downside was the week we were on the island there was no running water and we did not shower. We were in the water 3-4 times a day diving so it wasn't that bad. And the reason we couldn't shower was that if we used water we would have to waste fuel getting more water. If we didn't waste fuel then we would have the opportunity to see Whale Sharks. Which we did. That was an unbelievable experience. Every day of the trip felt like a completely different trip and every day was better than the previous (except for when we were leaving).

Volunteer Experience:
We learned a whole lot about the local culture and more than I ever expected about Marine conservation of the Reef.

I enjoyed it completely but a most of the members of my group did not like that our hotels/hostels did not have air conditioning. Coming from Montana where we just had nine months of cold winter and going to the tropics where it was hot and humid was a big difference. I greatly enjoyed the accommodations because it felt more like how the locals would be living.

Community Impact:
We hardly saw any tourists and just blended in with the culture. We still stuck out being a bunch of light skinned people from Montana but it still felt like we blended a bit.

Kaya did an unbelievable job at making sure everyone was happy and that everything went smoothly if a problem arose.