Kaya Responsible Travel participant with the locals Kaya Responsible Travel participant with the locals

Home Building Project in the Philippines

It’s been excellent!

It has motivated me to do more. I wouldn’t necessarily do the same kind of thing again, but it has helped me motivate and focus on where I want to make a difference.

It was satisfying getting to learn how children are selected for sponsorship and families chosen for the build a home project – getting to understand the mechanics of the system, meet the families and see that they need the help.

t’s good that there’s age diversity in the participants. The communities seem very supportive. I really like the fact that families in the community get an income through the homestays. It’s been excellent!

Volunteer Experience:
Fantastic, really happy about that. It was satisfying hard labour – really good. Very hard work but just what I was looking for.

I was appalled at the overpopulation and how it persists with such fixable circumstances.

So would you say that is one of the primary challenges facing the Philippines at this point?

Yes - population growth and the role of the church in that, how they may be hurting the population. There are not enough jobs and that’s because there are too many people and not enough birth control.

Community Impact:
I think that the experience of living with a family is very valid and helps with an understanding of the context of the society – the families and the children and the challenges they face. So I would say that was one of the best parts, 50% of it being the building and 50% being the homestay experience.