Kaya Responsible Travel Header Image Kaya Responsible Travel Header Image

Antelope Park Lion Breeding & Rehabilitation Project in Zimbabwe

Had a fantastic time and I'm already planning to save up to go back next year for even longer.

Make sure to get involved in as many things as the project offers! The last thing you want is to go home and think "I wish I'd done that whenI was there." Don't let fear hold you back. I almost let my fear stop me from riding an elephant, but as soon I was on him, I didn't want to get back down! (Though I had to because my legs were aching!)

I have just booked a project to go to Cape Town with penguins and I'm in the middle of working hard to save up so I can go back to Antelope Park! This all means that I have to be extremely careful and I've sacrificed many nights of partying, but I know the end result will be totally worth it!

Volunteer Experience:
In Antelope Park, I found everyone to be extremely friendly. I have never smiled at people so much in my life! Everyone I saw in the park all said hello and asked me how I was and they all seemed to be genuinely interested in my answer. I wanted to work with wildlife as I have always had an interest in animals, whether it was my own pets or animals in the zoo and when I saw the Antelope Park project I knew I had to go and have a hands on experience with one of the world's most beautiful animals.

Whilst I was in Zimbabwe, I got to experience things that only a handful of people get to experience. The lifestyle there was so refreshing that I was glad to get up early in the morning and clean out lion enclosures, a task that some found less than pleasant! After living this and getting home and repeatedly telling family and friends about my time there, I realised I wanted to go back to Zimbabwe, but I also realised that there is so much more of Africa to see, encouraging me to do some more research into other projects and spotting the project in South Africa with penguins, I had to snap up the opportunity!

Well structured, they take the volunteer opinions into account.