Karstaway Header Image Karstaway Header Image

Cerebral Palsy and Autism Centre for Children - Internship

Great experience to strengthen your professional and personal abilities

Had a great experience at the Bright Connection for the 2 months that we were here. Worked with both the staff and the children to focus on developmental milestones and incorporate age appropriate activities into their week day therapy sessions. We made great bonds with all of the wonderful and life-loving children here. Karstaway was able to allow us the movement and flexibility to use our skills from home as well as the skills we learnt while being here, to create a program that was suitable for the staff and children here at the centre. We were able to speak with the staff through the Chinese that we had learnt in Yangshou, as well as through a translator that was available throughout our stay. Highly recommended for people who are looking to bring their professional expertise to the program and teachable skills for the staff. They are very open and welcoming to ideas and suggestions to expand their work here.

A grounding and liberating experience I'll never forget

The liberation and learning I gained from the program was incredible!
As a university paramedic student I got more understanding of people’s innate nature to care and help each other then ever gained in the lecture theatres. By removing myself from all the bureaucracy that surrounds us I was able to work and help a team in caring for disabled youths and really see a benefit in not only the children, but the full time carers who work tirelessly and live with the children they support. It was a truly humbling experience that grounded me as a person and coming back I was better able to understand peoples' needs and provide better care for them. Along with being able to speak a bit of Chinese, that I practice back in Aus, it was an extremely valuable, fun and liberating experience that I’d recommend to everyone.

Meaningfull

The centre is grass roots, the local expat community is involved and the bond that you develop through culture barrier and improvisation will last with me for a long time. With so many projects to continue on with, the longer I stayed the harder it was to leave each day.

My highlight was taking the children to the beach and paddling around the water, this is something they only get to do a few times a year.