Kalu Yala Header Image Kalu Yala Header Image

Outdoor Recreation Internship in Panama

Goals

My major in college was Recreation and Sports Management and my minor was sustainability. I came to Kalu Yala to be in the outdoor recreation program- so tell me this wasn't the perfect internship for me?! I came down unassuming about anything except that I would be living in the jungle during rainy season. I was greeted by many hugs and people genuinely happy for me to be there. From the very moment I got to Kalu Yala I could feel the authentic community around me. A community of people who wanted to learn, to incite change, to be a part of something bigger than themselves, and to be themselves. I spent the semester hiking, swimming, surfing, climbing, getting to know humans from all different backgrounds and schools of thought, and learned things that I will spend the rest of my life unpacking. At the end of the semester I did a short video interview with one of the other students as part of their project and they asked me what the hardest thing about being here was and I was at a loss for words. Sure some parts were difficult but I expected that so in hindsight they weren't "the hardest thing"- they were a learning moments.
Before Kalu Yala friends and family would ask me what I wanted to do when I graduated and I would shrug and reply with, "I'm not sure, I just want to play outside!" Kalu Yala (or something like it) became my goal and what I wanted to do. And I found that here.
10/10 would recommend.

Authentic, Life Changing Experience

The Kalu Yala community embraced me as one of their own as soon as I began this internship. I spent three months in the Panamanian rainforest with the most passionate, giving individuals I have ever met. You will have the opportunity to brainstorm, develop and construct an entrepreneurial project of your choice alongside many other like-minded interns. You will also be pushed out of your comfort zone where you will quickly learn that being too comfortable just isn't as much fun! Your experience at Kalu Yala will propel your confidence and enthusiasm to astronomical heights. Hands down, the best decision I have ever made.