12-6860 Kalapana-Kapoho Road Pahoa, HI 96778 United States
Hawaii (USA): Pahoa; United States: Pahoa
2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (includes high school academic semester abroad), 7-12 months (includes high school academic year abroad), 1-2 years
Typical Duration of Program
Kalani offers scholarships to skilled tradespeople who seek to live and volunteer in Hawai`i.
Skilled tradespeople contribute four shifts per week (30 hours) in one of Kalani's departments. In return they receive a significant discount on Kalani's volunteer program tuition fees, along with many program benefits (below).
Tradespeople who discover Kalani have incredible experiences here. Our volunteer and sabbatical programs are award-winning. We live surrounded by fiery lava, invigorating ocean, tropical foliage, and the exuberance of people living the spirit of aloha.
Kalani is Hawai`i's largest retreat center, with 120 acres of organic agriculture, preserved heritage, and retreat accommodations. We are a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Volunteers and sabbatical guests contribute their skilled trades to help with upkeep of our buildings and retreat facilities.
For over 35 years, Kalani has been a volunteer-run non-profit educational village and retreat center that celebrates Hawaiian culture, wellness and spiritual growth.
Life here is spectacular. Only five miles away you'll find the incredible Volcanoes National Park, where the lava flows into the sea. We are blessed to be upwind, so we have no vog (volcanic smog) here, just the sweet, clean air of the Northeast Trades coming across thousands of miles of Pacific Ocean, considered to be the cleanest air on earth.
As a contributing community member, here are the abundant benefits you can look forward to:
- A four-day work week leaving three days per week to explore the beautiful island (two-day work week for sabbatical program participants);
- Incredible food provided three times a day - healthy and delicious cuisine served on our open-air dining lanai;
- Access to any of our 50 classes and activities each week, including 12 styles of yoga, Hawaiian culture, hula, performing arts, as well as concerts, performances, and events;
- Use of our beautiful clothing-optional pool, hot tubs, and sauna;
- Comfortable and simple accommodations;
- Unwind with discounted massages and bodywork;
- Work out in the gym;
- Shuttle to visit town or the local farmers' market;
- Explore the beauty of the Big Island on one of our adventures (e.g. Volcanoes National Park, Akaka Waterfalls);
- Spend your evenings among friends, celebrating at a variety of special gatherings, listening to talks, dancing at DJ'd events, open mic, etc.;
- Weekly `ohana night activities, such as movies, costume parties, bonfires;
- Enjoy discounted or free participation in some guest workshops;
- A week of additional vacation time for 3 month program or half a week for 2 month program;
- Living less than a mile from beautiful, black sand Kehena beach;
- Opportunity to live in a diverse community of people from all over the world;
- An affordable way to spend an extensive period of time in Hawai`i;
And of course, you'll make friends for a lifetime!
If you are accepted as a Kalani volunteer for your skills in trade, you will only pay 50% of the first month tuition fee (i.e. USD 300).
If you wish to continue living and volunteering at Kalani beyond the first month, and have successfully demonstrated competency at your trade, we will fully waive any further tuition fees.
Kalani seeks skilled tradespeople with experience and education in the following areas:
- IT Help Desk/Networking
- Writing and Social Media
Kalani welcomes volunteers from all countries, age groups, and sexualities. The Kalani Volunteer `ohana (Family) is a group of diverse, loving people!
18 - 65
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
in Groups of 2-10
Kalani's mission is to provide a fun, safe and educational retreat which encourages ALOHA, love for life in each person's own deepest way through participation in abundant nature, culture and wellness experiences.