Juliana's Animal Sanctuary - Food Yoga Academy Header Image Juliana's Animal Sanctuary - Food Yoga Academy Header Image

Animal caretaker at Colombia's ONLY animal sanctuary

A slice of peace in the middle of Colombia!

I've been volunteering in Juliana's Sanctuary for about one day a week for the past two months and will continue doing so! The owners Juliana and Paul are two beautiful souls that make you feel comfortable on the farm from day one. They have so many stories and life lessons to share that just talking to them is a personal growth experience itself. Both manage the farm very well: everything is clean and kept in its place, the animals are in very good state of health and are provided with everything they may want and need, and the overall atmosphere on the farm is one of peace and harmony.
There are lots of things to do on the farm and you may help out with whatever you feel most comfortable with doing. I've helped cleaning the sheds, preparing food and feeding the animals, and of course, playing with and cuddling them!
I can only recommend Juliana's Sanctuary if you want to make a unique experience, get close to (farmed) animals and learn about their needs, and spent some wonderful days in a beautiful natural setting.

• Juliana's Animal Sanctuary - Food Yoga Academy responded to this review April 08, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Thank you so much, Nadja. It was a pleasure to host you and look forward to working with you in the future.

Memorable & enlightening

Upon arrival, Juliana and her husband picked us up at the airport. It was a tiny car, but we managed fine. Just don't pack like a diva, because there is little room for full size suitcases. We made it to the animal sanctuary pretty late, and went straight to bed. The beds were two twin beds that were a bit too firm for my husband and I, but some people love that. I think that's just how the beds are there. We stayed at a hotel the last night, and the bed was just as firm. When we visited Thailand, it was the same throughout the country. In any case, it wasn't a big deal. Right outside of the bedroom window were the 20-some dogs they've rescued. The dogs were off and on loud, and occasionally it felt like we were sleeping in the same room with them. But if you're like me, I enjoyed it. I love that they saved so many dogs, and they all seemed really happy and thankful to be saved. Also, it reminded me of living in the city a little with the noise. After a little time, you don't even notice the dogs barking.

Juliana and her husband Paul were so accommodating to us, cooking for us every meal, and driving us into town for gifts to bring back. They are some of the sweetest people with the biggest hearts. Then energy at the sanctuary was pretty magical and the animals were beyond happy. Getting up early to feed them all was so fun. We also played with cow poop, and surprisingly... it was so fun!

I would highly recommend going to this sanctuary. They passion they have for the animals is clear. I really think Juliana was probably a mama animal in a past life. Her soul is filled with love for these guys, and it shows.

Rejuvenating experience!

I was lucky enough to spend a week over the Christmas period here at Juliana's Animal Sanctuary and I had a magnificent time there.

From the get go I was made to feel completely at home in the beautiful house on the sanctuary, given my own room with private bathroom and access to the kitchen (ahhh what a blessing to have access to a blender and food processor... So much nicecream was made :D ).

It is obvious how much Juliana, Ekala and Paul truly care for each and everyone of the animals in their care- these animals are finally getting the love an repect they so very much deserve and that is such a lovely night to see.

My duties were very enjoyable; preparing food for and feeding various animals, cleaning out some of the animal shelters, raking the gorgeous pig Paola's back for fun (she really loves that :D) helping revilatise grazing areas for the cow and bull and in my free time giving some love to those adorable stray dogs!

There was plenty of free time in-between duties which I frequently spent cycling around this amazingly beautiful barrio- a very very bike friendly place :)

All in all I'd very much recommend volunteering here, not only do you make a real difference to the running of the sanctuary and the well being of the animals, it's also a place to regain your hope in the human race as you see the amazing work and attitude of Juliana :)

A Pleasure to Experience

I was very blessed to have the opportunity to volunteer at Juliana's Animal Sanctuary. As a veterinarian, I was able to perform dozens of physical exams for wellness checkups, and offer treatment plans for several sick members of the family. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to work with the variety of species that they care for.

Juliana and Paul are two of my favorite people in Colombia! From the moment we met, they treated me with the utmost care and respect, and we had an absolutely wonderful time together. Their main caretaker is also a true pleasure to work with. Our days went by smoothly, and our work was accomplished without any stress.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to lend a helping hand and get more exposure to animal healthcare. The good company alone is worth the trip. I am happy to still be in communication with the sanctuary, and I suspect that we will see each other again and again.

With love,
Dr. Sophie Danielle Hubard

I will be back!

I spent wonderful 3 weeks at the sanctuary and wish we had not had flights booked to go home. I would have otherwise stayed much longer! From the moment we came to visit to see if this would be a suitable volunteer program for us we felt so welcome and this continued throughout our time there. Juliana, Ekala and Paul care so much for the sanctuary’s many residents and their dedication, passion and commitment is very clear. We got hand on experience with many of the animals but were also able to pick and choose tasks that we felt comfortable with (for example: I have never been around cows or bulls before so felt a little apprehensive at first).

The workload is very manageable and we had a good deal of spare time but we found other projects we wanted to work on independently too. It is a very relaxed atmosphere and we always felt able to ask as many questions as we wanted. We really felt like our efforts were very much appreciated and were making a real difference. I feel like I have gained a lot of knowledge and a stronger connection to animals and nature in general. I loved getting to know all the personalities around the place and became very attached to all of the residents! I know that I will definitely be back and will start saving asap. We left feeling very inspired by the efforts of everyone and happy in the knowledge that the animals at Juliana’s sanctuary will always be safe and loved from now on.

Wonderful volunteer experience

I spent one week as a volunteer at Juliana's Farm Sanctuary, and it was such a rewarding week. I paid for the program including the meals, but not the Spanish course that is offered. Juliana, her husband Paul and the manager Ekala are all incredibly warm people who really make you feel welcome and useful in the work to improve conditions for farm animals.

The farm is small but on it lives a great range of different animals who all have their unique stories. When working as a volunteer you get to meet all of them and to spend unlimited time getting to know them. There is really nothing more effectful than that to connect with the animals.

The work- mainly consisting of feeding and cleaning the animals' areas + various smaller tasks- is always done in a relaxed environment, and you get to enjoy the work and the animals as you do it. Also if you're ever in doubt about something or have any questions they are all happy to answer them or assist you. At times I actually felt I could have done more than I did, as there was quite a bit of spare time when I expected there to be more to do in the volunteer program. However, I only had a week there and I understand there is a limit to the responsiblity you can gain in such a short amount of time.

In general there is such a lovely atmosphere on the farm, it is really a projection of this group of people's hard work and genuine wish to better the lives of animals, to share knowledge about the conditions of farm animals and to make people connect with them. It is a beautiful home- both for the humans and the animals living there- surrounded by green hills and fresh mountain air. And the food Juliana and Paul cooks is simply delicious, so tasty and rich you really appreciate and enjoy every time to eat!

I had such a great and important time at Juliana's Farm Sanctuary, and would without doubt recommend volunteering there to anyone with love for animals or to anyone with an interested in learning more about farm animals. Thank you for the experience and my memorable week at your farm!

-Nicola

Connecting with lovely animals in a beautiful location

It is hard to describe how rewarding the 3 weeks we spent at Julianna's sanctuary were, as we learnt so much, experienced a whole range of interations with the animals and enjoyed working with Ekala (The Sanctuary Manager).

The sanctuary fantastic, easy to travel to from Bogota and such a loving place to be. The animals all benefited from the work we were able to do. The care and dedication that Julianna, Paul & Ekala put in is evident everywhere.

These are an inspirational group of people, who are so easy to work with and learn from. Ekala is such a kind, patient and caring person it made every task enjoyable and we had fantastic conversations over mealtimes.

I cannot recommend volunteering at this sanctuary enough!