Jamaica Volunteer Programs Header Image Jamaica Volunteer Programs Header Image

Study Abroad in Jamaica

Teaching abroad

I had a life changing experience with the Jamaica Volunteer Project. I was able to see Jamaica's education system and compare it to the United States education. I am leaving Jamaica with a whole new outlook on teaching, and the use of teaching supplies. Staying at Smokey Manor could not have been better or more accommodating.

Teaching abroad

This was an amazing experience that I will never forget. I have learned so much from Jamaica and the people in this country. The staff at Smokey Manor made this study abroad experience wonderful. The staff were extremely helpful and made their home a home away from home for us. They were always around and ready to answer and help in anyway they could. I have learned so much and look forward to sharing my experience with others when I get home.

Teaching opportunity abroad

This trip abroad was an amazing experience that I will never forget. Everyone was incredibly accommodating and welcoming. The volunteer opportunities were truly memorable and life-changing. I have learned so much about international education and how to be more effective for my students back in America. The excursions were also well-planned and a full cultural immersion. I am so thankful for this opportunity and have gained a true appreciation for Jamaican culture. I can only hope to return to visit the friendly staff and now, new friends again.

Jamaica Study Abroad

This experience is one of my best being abroad. We were immersed into the culture through various activities, food, and experiencing the culture first hand. It was a great experience to see the true side of Jamaica, not the tourist attractions. I was challenged, encouraged, and supported throughout the entire week. I can't wait to come back and experience it again!

Primary education volunteer trip

Had a wonderful experience. I loved being able to try different foods and experience the culture. Going to the schools and working was a great experience. I love how staff always stayed with us and made sure we were comfortable and having fun.

Primary education volunteer trip

I came to Jamaica with a group of educators from my university! The staff of Jamaica Volunteer Programs was beyond helpful and did all in their power to make sure I had a good trip! They made me feel safe the entire time because a staff member stayed with me. They even gave me suggestions of foods to try, which was very helpful! They really took time to get to know each one of us and made us feel comfortable in Jamaica.

My Amazing Trip

I volunteered at the orphanages and schools and I enjoyed it very much. The most memorable part of my experience was meeting new people both from San Diego State University and from Jamaica and spending time with them as well as going out and making memories with them :)

The accommodation and food was wonderful! It felt like a home away from home. Out of all the excursion the trip to Bobo Hill to visit the Rastafarian community stood the most. The support staff was amazingly outstanding; I would rate them a 10/10 :). Also, even when enjoying the night life in Jamaica I felt safe at all times . I think I made an impact on the children at the schools and orphanages because the smiles on their faces were priceless! I would definitely recommend this program! As a matter of fact, I already have! Thank you all so much for such an amazing life changing experience. I will never forget you guys or the great memories I made in Jamaica !

My Study Abroad Experience in Jamaica

I participated in the Study Abroad program from the San Diego Sate University and our main focus was on studying gender & sexuality. The most memorable part of my experience was visiting the Rastafarian community at Bobo Hill and talking to the higglers at the market. The accommodations and food was great. The bedding was comfortable and the daily home-cooked food was delicious. Volunteering at the schools and orphanages was definitely one of the events that stood out the most in my mind. I learnt a lot about the Jamaican culture just by spending the day at the school. The support staff was amazing. They did their best to make everyone feel safe and comfortable. They all worked hard to make sure that everything went according to plan. I would rate the level of our safety 10 out of 10! I felt safe the entire time even when we were out in the public. I hope I made an impact with the children at the schools and orphanage, I wish we would've volunteered more days there. I would strongly recommend this program to fellow classmates that would like to volunteer abroad and still get to spend time in a beautiful country.