Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions Header Image Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions Header Image

Working With Children In Jamaica

Phenomenal!

As a first time volunteering abroad..and having worked with children as my profession, I was very excited to volunteer at Pringles Orphanage in Jamaica. Initially I was a bit nervous, being that I was the only volunteer amongst 23 teens and preteens. But the staff at the orphanage were very helpful..and the youth were great!...and welcomed me with open arms and hearts. I would create fun activities to do with the youth..which was a great and positive learning experience for me.. we learned from each other. My Host family was also great and made my stay very comfortable. It was like home away from home....and they prepared delicious Jamaican dishes. I was also able to enjoy and experience the True Jamaica by hanging out in town at the local spots with the natives during my down time. I would say that my volunteering was a positive and memorable experience that i will hold close to my heart and will never forget...and would definitely recommend!

Fun in the sun

During my trip we worked at Mt. Olivet Primary School. I really enjoyed working with the kids, they made a huge impact on my life. I also learned a lot about farming and all the different foods. I loved trying new foods especially the fruits. On the excursion day we went to Montego Bay. I loved this, it was really fun and the beach was beautiful.

Working with children in Ocho Rios

I'm a girl from Belgium from 17 years old and I did volunteerwork for 2 weeks in Ocho Rios with the organisation Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions.
My parents and friends were really concerned about the fact that I'm a girl of 17 years and I'm travelling so far away all on my own and staying with people I didn't know that well, but once I arrived in the airport there was already someone waiting on me and since that moment, I never felt "unsafe" or something, because the people I stayed with were like family. They cared so much about me and my roommate; they always asked if everything was okay, they always made delicious food, and they always made sure that we were enjoying our stay in Jamaica! I would definitely recommend the project of "working with children" to someone because the kids and the teachers give you soooo much love and everybody from there was thankful that I did volunteerwork for Jamaica. I loved the feeling that I really meant something for them!
I also did the Orphanage project, but that was only one day and that was really sad because the girls from the orphanage were so nice!
So if someone would like to do the Orphanage project, then you have to be sure that you are good advised about how many days you are going to that place because I was very disappointed when I knew that I only went one day to the orphanage.
But if I had to chance to go back now, I WOULD !!!
So that's very clear that I loved the 2 weeks in Jamaica!
I really lived in a different culture for 2 weeks and I will never forget that experience, everybody should do this one time in their life! ;)
x x x

Amazing experience helping orphans in Jamaica

I recently returned from a Girl Scout service trip to Jamaica volunteering at an orphanage for 2 days. The experience was life changing, and the services provided by Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions were excellent. The JVE staff were friendly, informative and made this trip fun for adults and girl scouts alike. The trip was safe and well organized and we accomplished what we set out to do for the orphanage. We are looking forward to doing a return trip next summer and working with Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions again. Now that we know what to expect -- we will be even better prepared in knowing what to bring and what activities to plan for the orphans (we needed more that we had!) We will also know better what to ask JVE to provide (we could have used more paint brushes and gardening tools ) so we can have maximum impact on the orphanage and make the world a better place for the amazing children who live there.

Girl Scouts Volunteer Abroad

Traveling abroad with 8 Girl Scouts and 7 other adults to volunteer can be very challenging, however with the assistance of Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions we had the most positive and rewarding experience! They took the stress away of planning the unknown. Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions assisted our group from the moment I contacted them and during the months of planning. They were with us the whole time we volunteered and made us feel very safe and at ease.

Volunteering at an orphanage was such a wonderful experience. It had such an impact on the girls and the adults. I think it was great for the girls to see how other people live and learn about the Jamaican culture. It was so rewarding for all of us to know that we were able to make an impact in the lives of others.

Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions made volunteering abroad very easy. The knowledge and experience of the staff is very obvious. These people are there to help you help others! I highly recommend volunteering abroad for a life changing experience and I highly recommend Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions to help with your planning needs to do so.

Our group had such a positive experience we hope to return next year!

Working with children

I always knew that I wanted to volunteer, but nothing really captivated me until I found an opportunity to volunteer in Kingston. I wasn't sure what to expect so I was very nervous, especially as a young woman travelling alone. I worked with children ages 4-17 at an orphanage. The other volunteers and I created a summer program for the kids where we held computer, math, english, and art classes. We also played games and had loads of fun! In addition to volunteering, I experienced Jamaican cuisine, the beautiful sights and the night life. I have since been back 5 times to visit the kids, one of which times my mum and step dad came to meet the kids and see the orphanage!
I could ramble on, so if you have any questions or would like to know more about my experience, feel free to contact Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions and ask to speak with me :)
I highly recommend the program!
- Sasha

Garland Hall Children's Home

Natalie and Rhoja at Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions (JVE) provided a lot of information about the volunteer experience, including the hours, the age, the number of children, and the needs but I wasn't sure what to expect, especially since I was volunteering on my own. I wasn't sure if there would be other volunteers from other organizations. Natalie's email prompted me to prepare a few fun but educational activities and I also brought some workbooks as well.

When I arrived at the children's home, there was another long-term volunteer there but she ended up not coming while I was there. Although the staff at the home were friendly, it seemed like the volunteers were expected to work independently with the children. I found the home to be comfortable and clean and expected that the children had some structure during the day. However, I learned that there was very little structure so I created some structure for myself and the children but was also flexible in going with the flow as well. I'm glad that I had already planned some activities and brought all the materials needed with me.

I was only at the home for 3 full days and 2 half days but felt a strong connection with the children as each day passed. At times, I felt challenged in working alone with the children, either because the children were frustrated with themselves or each other but I tried my best to stay motivated and positive and work with the children to make things both fun and educational. On the last day, it was quite emotional, the staff and children gathered around and expressed their appreciation and I'm now thinking of ways to continue my support from overseas.

JVE did an excellent job at preparing me and were eager to receive feedback. My host family was excellent and by the end of the trip, I feel like I now have a second home and family in Jamaica.

The only complaint that I have is that I had to figure out lunch on my own, since the home did not provide any. With limited transportation and not being familiar with the area, that was a bit of a challenge.

Jamaica: Never forget

When I decided to go on this trip I wanted to experience something different and exciting. But when I actually came to Jamaica, went to the school, I not only experienced new things but was also taught and learned. The Mount Olivet Primary School was probably my most favorite part of the trip because I grew so many relations with kids, and they taught me how to open my heart to those around me.