Isan Survivor Header Image Isan Survivor Header Image

Experience Authentic Thailand and True Isan

A Summer I'll Always Remember

I NEVER write reviews. EVER. But Isan Survivor is so incredible I thought I'd write one! I volunteered with them last summer by myself at 17 years old, and they took perfect care of me. They gave me advice, helped me with my lessons, and taught me so much. I always felt safe and comfortable. I felt more at home there than I do in my real hometown! I became a part of the community--it was absolutely incredible. I'm still in contact with friends I met there almost a year ago. It was nice to focus on others' needs and to learn to love and care for others. My students were wonderful and I'll never forget them! I definitely plan on going back someday!

Teaching in Thailand

Loved my stay with Jack and his family. It was truely a remarkable experience that I wouldn't trade for anything else. I originally was volunteering with a different organization but so happy I ended up with Isan Survivors

Volunteering in Isan, Phon Phisai

In 2006, I stayed for approximately five weeks in Phon Phisai, a small village close to Nong Khai , were I worked as an English teacher at an High School with children aged about 12-17. During this period I stayed at Jack's place together wit four other volunteers. I thaught two classes a day. I really enjoyed the experience, teaching the kids, they are very polite and interested in what you have to tell them. Even if you have no teaching experience, you will find the job very inspiring! During the weekend, we often went to Nong Khai to experience the Thai night life, Jack would take us to karaoke places or to a local bar (try their famous whiskey-soda). We also got to witness Thai everyday life living in his house and visiting temples in the village. It has been one of my most interesting experiences and I carry many warm memories of that time.

Great experience in teaching children and rural life in Isan.

I've been volunteering through Isan Survivor for 3 weeks. In these weeks I have had one of the greatest experiences of my life. Teaching grateful children in different age categories and living in a peaceful rural environment with very kind people gave me a great feeling. Jack and Patricia of the organization were very helpful and willing to fulfill your wishes regarding the volunteer work. If you want to experience something different in your life and want to experience the joy of volunteer work, I definitely recommend Isan Survivor.

Varied and colourful

I had the opportunity to spend some time volunteering with Isan Survivor in 2012 and had an amazing time.
Staying with Jack and Patricia's family is a treat ; the food is amazing, communication is easy and the surroundings beautiful. There is always something to do, be it going to the village with other volunteers, cycling around in the "jungle", by the Mekong and past all the different temples, or just relaxing in the garden. They are always available to guide and help you.
I got to teach in a high school and to monks in a Buddhist temple. The students and colleagues were always smiling and very helpful. It was amazing to be able to share so much and discover Isan's amazing culture even with the language barrier.

Wonderful time!!

Like it says in my title.. I had a wonderful time with Isan Survivor!

A few years ago I stayed with Jack and his family for 2 weeks, with a friend of mine. We felt very welcome. We experienced the Thai life, ate Thai food, visited beautiful places and met a lot of friendly people. It was great to go to a Thai school and to teach the children. You really feel you're doing something great, something helpful and having a wonderful time at the same time.

When we went back to the more southern part of Thailand, we felt different from the other tourists, cause we did something useful and we experienced the real Thai life.

Thanks again Jack!

A Walk on the Thailand side!

I was volunteer in Phonphisai in the beginning of 2012 and stayed with Jack and his family.

If you want to do volunteer work ,and you want to be with a big group ,don't go there,but if you want to do good work and live someone like the real Thai people, then your at the right address!

You live near the border of Laos(big river),and when you wake up ,you look over the rice fields, there are just a few foreigners around there, so for the Thai you're also something to look at to!

The family is friendly and want to help you with everything,the food is amazing, so its a real pleasure to stay there!

If you want you can go by yourself to the school for the volunteers work, so that also give you more a feeling of freedom , on the school you can give Englisch,how you want , but the best way is to follow the book!

The children are fun to be around ,and are friendly and happy!

It is an experience witch stay with you for a long time (how long ,i don't know, for me it was beginning of 2012 ,and i still thinking about it) ;-)

Marc de Kleer ,Holland