ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants

ISA Study Abroad in Wellington, New Zealand

New Zealand has my heart

My time in New Zealand was unforgettable. From the people to the beautiful scenery to the funny words they use, New Zealand is the perfect place to study abroad and ISA is the best program to take you there. One of the scariest things about studying abroad is what to do right when you get there, but the ISA staff was there waiting to help us begin our journey with the most ease that I could've asked for. The three day orientation was immensely helpful because it taught me about the culture of New Zealand as well as giving me a great group of friends. ISA simply took all of the travel stress away and just left us all to experience everything that New Zealand has to offer.

I fell in love with this country because it became a place I could call my second home. I made some of my closest friends and created stories that I will be telling for the rest of my life. And let's not forget Lord of the Rings! It is impossible to explain everything that New Zealand and ISA did for me, but just know that I learned more about myself and the world than I could've imagined. If it wasn't for ISA, my experience would have undoubtedly been more stressful, and that would have taken up quite a bit of the precious time I had in the most beautiful country on Earth. New Zealand has my heart and I know that it will steal the heart of anyone who goes there. So choose ISA, they won't let you down.

A New Home

I knew almost immediately after landing in New Zealand that I had found a new place to call home. Not only is the entire (yes, ENTIRE) country absolutely gorgeous, but the culture is rich beyond measure and the natives are full of passion. New Zealand has so much to offer simply because of its beautiful landscapes, but the added benefit of being such a wholesome place to be means that it attracts like-minded people who care about the things I care about: art, the environment, kindness, and food.

I truly appreciate the independence that I gained in New Zealand, but I also am grateful for the stability and structure that ISA provided to me. I made many, life-long friends through my program, and I was able to go on multiple excursions that would have otherwise cost me additional fees, or not been available at all. Whenever I speak of the program, I always mention the Bridging Cultures Program; this three-day orientation was the perfect way to introduce me to the country, culture, and lifestyle that quickly became a huge part of who I am.

ISA staff made sure we were always taken care of, right from the beginning. We were picked up and driven to our accommodations upon landing in Auckland, and then once we reached Wellington. Throughout the first few days, the staff was always available. Because of ISA's dedication to having site staff members be native to the country of study, I always felt like I was getting honest, culturally-based answers to me questions. When I traveled outside of New Zealand for spring break, my site specialist called to ensure I made it to Australia safely. This was something unexpected, but it proved how dedicated ISA is to the safety of those enrolled in its programs.

Additionally, I was so pleased to not have to worry about accommodation upon entering a new country. ISA arranged my housing in "The Cube" for me. The excursions we went on were also a huge perk to going through ISA. One of my favorite days in Wellington was going on the Seal Coast Safari ride.

My five-month stay in New Zealand was, without doubt, the best five months of my life. I have traveled to multiple other countries since, and I can confidently say that, while perfect in their own right, none have warmed my heart and fueled my soul as much as my favorite little country in the middle of nowhere.

Victoria University of Wellington 2012 Academic year

My ability to grow as an individual throughout my study abroad experience in New Zealand was in large part added by ISA study abroad. One of the best aspects of studying through is the Bridging Cultures orientation, where within the first five days of arriving to the country I was able to acclimate and form relationships with other Americans through white water rafting, caving and hot spring adventures. ISA has amazing on-site staff as well, and in Wellington, they made an effort to round up all of the program participants for a dinner at least once a trimester to see if everyone has adjusted to New Zealand life and university. I strongly recommend studying abroad with ISA because of the helpfulness of on-site staff, included excursions and lifelong friends you will make!