ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants

ISA Study Abroad in San Jose, Costa Rica

San Jose Summer Spanish

I absolutely loved Costa Rica! I would definitely recommend this program! I would go to the ISA office almost daily because the ladies in the office were so welcoming and accommodating that I made friends with them. I was in intermediate Spanish which was not difficult but somewhat challenging. I wasn't honestly overly fond of the classroom but when you are there, the classroom is not the best place to learn Spanish anyway: the people are. If you really want to learn Spanish, then I would highly recommend that you make friends with the Ticos and not with Americans. Then use the classroom to facilitate what you learn from speaking with constantly with locals. With that being said, I didn't follow that advice very well. I made very good friends with other American students there with me and we spoke too much English (which was not my plan), but I forged friendships that were so tight that I still speak with most of them regularly almost two years later. I
I had a host family that I loved and we became so close that they even too me to a family reunion and later included me in their Father's Day family photo.
I also liked that ISA provided two excursions and left the rest of the weekends open. This way I was able to be lead in the first two weekends to get my bearings in the country and then my friends and I could plan our own trips after that (which were not very expensive at all).
Overall I can easily say that I had a 5-star experience!

San Jose, Costa Rica

I studied in San Jose, Costa Rica Fall 2013. I took intensive Spanish classes in the morning and electives in English in the afternoon. The university I attended was very small, which I liked, because it was easy to get around campus and I was able to meet people. On the weekends I was able to travel to the beach and other places like Monteverde. The ISA onsite staff is a great resource for ISA students. I had to go to the hospital while I was there and a staff member accompanied me to the hospital and made sure I was okay. There were also excursions that are included in the price of the programs that are really fun because you get to see the beautiful sites of the country as well as get to know the other students in your program.
As well as taking classes, I did an internship at a local children's hospital. It was an amazing opportunity because I was able to learn about the healthcare system and interact with the community. I am a Health Promotion and Education major so it was hard for me to find classes that transferred back to my major abroad. ALL of my classes went to my major requirements or general education credits. Overall, it was all that I wanted in a study abroad. I got to meet so many great people, learn about the culture and the Spanish language, and get credit for the experience!

A great place to live and learn

If you're a an adventure seeker, Costa Rica is a great place to Study Abroad. ISA offers many excursions to Costa Rica's beaches, cities and neighboring countries. Play with monkeys, see incredible sunsets and learn what Pura Vida is all about.

The Experience of a Lifetime

In the three short months I was in this program, I had the time of my life and benefitted in different ways. I advanced in my Spanish-speaking skills so much more than I could have ever done in the U.S. because of the immersion and necessity to use the language in daily life. I also gained new perspectives on life being in a completely different culture than I was used to, which made me more open-minded and has helped shaped who I am as a person today. Overall, I seized every opportunity I could while abroad and had some of the best experiences of my life that I will never forget.

Costa Rica

I loved Costa Rica and the program I went through. They were very accommodating and helpful with everything and culture immersion.

Fantastic Experience

My host family was fantastic and the ISA program was very helpful. I learned so much from my classes and home stay. They also set up some weekend travel for us that was both fun and safe.