ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants

ISA Study Abroad in Malaga, Spain

A Perfect Semester in Malaga

My semester abroad in Malaga, Spain, could not have been more perfect, and this was largely due to the awesome team at ISA. Throughout the application process and preparation, everyone who I communicated with was very helpful, from filling out paperwork to answering questions about classes. They were fantastic about helping others and I acclimate to Spain, and I cannot rave enough about the onsite staff enough. They were incredibly friendly and were willing to help with the varied problems students brought to them, which included questions about travel, homework, and host families.

Even outside of the staff, the experience itself was unforgettable. I can truly say that Malaga is my favorite place in the world. I love the warm climate, the cobblestone streets, the exotic nightlife, and of course the food. Living on the Mediterranean was ideal, and I thoroughly enjoyed every single second of it. I was lucky enough to live with an exceptionally wonderful host family; I still talk to them pretty regularly.

One of the great things about Malaga is its size and location. As one of the biggest cities in Andalucia, it is large enough to be interesting and have a lot to offer, but small enough to maintain a lot of authentic Spanish culture. Being immersed in the local culture really helped me to improve my language skills exponentially, but it never felt like work! In addition, I loved all of the classes that I took at the Universidad de Malaga. They were interesting and all the professors were helpful, and the classwork relevant.

I cannot recommend this program highly enough. I would go back in a heartbeat if possible and would enthusiastically encourage any of my friends to study abroad in Malaga with ISA.

Amazing Malaga Experience

I had the time of my life while studying abroad in Malaga. I lived with a host family and they were some of the most incredible people I have ever met. They instantly made me feel comfortable and at home. They were more than willing to help me with my Spanish and were always filling me in about the cultural norms of Spain.

The Universidad and professors were also fantastic and so willing to help. I didn't meet a single professor I didn't like. They were all great and taught me about so much more than just the Spanish language. I did the Spanish Intensive Language program and LOVED it! My Spanish improved significantly because of these courses.

I absolutely loved the ISA staff in Malaga as well! They were always there to help and answer any questions I had about every aspect of studying abroad and traveling. My experience wouldn't have been the same without them! I am still in touch with them today because they had such a large impact on my life.

The city of Malaga is wonderful. There is the beach, the city and the most incredible people I have ever met. I would tell everyone to consider Malaga because it was great and I have no complaints! I felt so at home in Malaga and can't wait to go back again soon!

Unforgettable Summer in Malaga!

Malaga is the perfect city to study abroad! The size is just about right; it's big enough for you to explore the different neighborhoods and keep discovering new things, yet it's not too big to be overwhelming. Malaga has an authentic Andalusian feel and the BEST weather. Although it has a well-connected airport and miles of Mediterranean beaches, it is not touristy so you will barely hear English - if at all!

The school is 3-minute walk from El Palo beach. The campus is exclusively for international students, but you are likely to have classes with fellow ISA students. The workload is doable. I barely had homework and found that my language class was not that challenging. The other class that I had was interesting, but I did not expect to write a long paper at the end so it made the end of my program a bit stressful.

The ISA staff in Malaga is so welcoming and helpful. They respect your decisions and understand that the students are adults, but they are always there if we would ever need help. If there are questions that they could not answer right away (very few existed), they will not stop until they find the answers! I owe much of my "independent" post-study abroad travel planning to the staff!

As for the housing, I am glad I chose to do a home stay. My host mom picked me up from the Malaga Maria Zombrano train station and made me feel at home since day 1. She and my host dad are very understanding, especially when it comes to my countless changes of plans. They also listen to my food preferences and I am very satisfied with the meals. Another plus is that my laundry was done more frequently than it was expected!

Compared to the other students, I lived the furthest from the city center, even though it was only three blocks from the main shopping street. Inevitably, I had to walk home alone after a night out, but I generally feel very safe. I've heard people say that the Spaniards stay late out at night, but I found that this was not always the case. Oftentimes, I would be the only one in the street at night. It is also said that cat-calling is an issue, especially in Andalusia, but I think it has been blown out of proportion. It does not happen as much as people seem to say. Yes, some men will utter "guapa" or "morena" as you walk by, but as long as you ignore them, they would not advance.

If I could change one thing, it would be that I wish I had stay longer! I became very attached to the city and my group of new friends I wish I had more time with them.

Another thing that would make the program perfect is the new location for the school. I wish the school was on the main University of Malaga campus. But it is right on the beach, so I can't complain!

Overall, I would recommend ISA Malaga to a friend. Amazing city right on the beach, lovely weather, doable school work, vibrant nightlife, and great staff!

A Month in Malaga

I can't rave enough about my experience in Malaga. The city itself is the perfect intersection between a relaxing coastal town and a rich cultural hub. It has all of the history, art, food, and shopping you can find in a bustling big city, but the people are warm and welcoming like you'd expect in a smaller town. The best part is you can easily walk to almost anywhere you want if you are located centrally, but if not, public transportation is super reliable and easy to use. Another perk of being in Malaga is how easy it is to travel around to close towns in that area of Spain, and there are some gems you'll want to skip over to on the weekend (Ronda, Marbella, anywhere along the Costa del Sol).

My experience with ISA was equally as great. Before I left for my trip, I was incredibly nervous to live with a host family for a whole month, but it was probably the best decision I could have made. It allowed me to immerse myself in the culture and language way more than I would have if I lived on my own or with other English-speaking students. Soon after arriving in Malaga, we met our local ISA representatives who were very helpful and easy to talk to. At no point during my trip did I feel unsafe, and that was partly because the ISA reps were always so available and eager to assist us with any issues we had. Overall, an incredible experience; I highly recommend it!