OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

ISA Study Abroad in London, England

View detailed rating

You can't go wrong with ISA London.

The trips organized by ISA were definitely a highlight of my time abroad. We went to Scotland, Stonehenge, Bath, Canterbury, Dover, and so many more places. Every trip was memorable and so easy because I had to do ZERO planning. ISA planned everything and everything they planned is exactly what you'd want to see.

I specifically loved the double decker bus tour we took around London and the Ghost Bus Tour we took on Halloween. Both organized by ISA and both wonderful.

A friend of mine at Boise State was going to study abroad in London through ISA. She always knew she wanted to go to London, though I'm not sure how she specifically found ISA. I sat by her in one of my classes and she'd always talk about everything she was doing to prepare to study in London soon. She got me interested in going so I ended up going the semester after her and used the same program she used because she seemed to like it and that was I had someone to ask all my questions to!

When I went, you were either placed in dorms or apartments (I believe you could choose which you preferred). I lived in a dorm. I had my own room, five suite mates, two bathrooms, one GIANT kitchen. There are two (at least) dorm locations and both are in the heart of the city! You can't go wrong with either.

I knew people who lived in apartments (placed there by the program, not apartments you have to find and rent). Apartments were more modern than the dorms (but the dorms are by no means bad), most have a TV in them, however, you had to share a room-- usually with only one other person but I think I remember one case of three people to a room. Rooms were decently sized, though, so you weren't just crammed in there.

Also, anywhere you live will be close to a tube station which is completely necessary and completely awesome!

Pure Awesome.

You can't go wrong with ISA London. The staff in London is completely awesome. They plan the most amazing outings-- ranging from museum visits to weekend trips around the UK. The staff is friendly, helpful, and full of knowledge. They are always available-- even (especially) on a drop in basis-- to chat about anything. Whether you want tips on things to do in London or just someone to talk to because you're feeling a little homesick, they are always there for you.

Studying abroad is an absolutely incredible experience but studying abroad through ISA London will make the difference between a good experience and a great experience.

I attended the University of Westminster. Classes are a bit different than in the USA. Grades generally consists of two assignments: Two papers. Occasionally you may have one paper and one test but generally it's just that: two papers. It can be scary because one paper (the last one) may be 75% of your total grade so you can't screw up! But also, there's nothing to be afraid of. Put forth some effort and you'll be fine. The nice thing about this type of academic culture is that you know at the beginning of the semester EXACTLY what your assignments will be and when you're not working on an assignment you have a lot of free time. That sounds a little obvious so let me reword that: When you decide to actually do the research and write your essay, you are busy. But you can go from start to finish in as little as a few days so all the other days you have free time-- no assignments due!

Good academics, by the way. The right amount of challenging to learn a few things but the right amount of easy so you can enjoy your time abroad and explore your city.

London has every culture imaginable! You see a million different types of people every single day, hear a million languages, see a million different styles. You can eat any type of food. London has everything.

The folks at ISA London are the most incredible people you could ever meet. They put on such an amazing program and organize tons of wonderful trips. They are kind, caring, and always available to help you with any problems you may have, answer questions, or provide tips on fun things to see and do around the city.

You can't go wrong with ISA London. Trust me. It's the best decision you'll ever make.

It's a big city; be careful. Don't go places alone at night. Don't make eye contact with scary people at night. Or in the daytime. There were times I felt uncomfortable but never once was I attacked, pick pocketed, nothing. Like everyone always says, use common sense. Also, I have been out alone at night (I'm a female) because of classes getting out when it was dark and there are always so many people everywhere so you're really never alone.

Social Life:
I'm not the most social person so I'm not really equipped to give a rating on this. However, from talking with the people I studied abroad with, it's an A+.

Experience of a lifetime

Going to London this summer was the greatest month of my life, and using this program only made it even better. From the minute I signed up, ISA was very helpful and reliable, and made everything from applying to arrival and getting adjusted very easy. The living situation/location, school, and program reps were wonderful and allowed us to have the greatest experience possible and make the most of our time. Also, the excursions they provided were so much fun- everything was so organized and enjoyable we truly had such an amazing time. If I ever do another study abroad program I will definitely use ISA.

I was in the University dorms and was SO pleased with the location and room. Two minute walk from the tube, I always felt super safe, and I had my own bedroom but could still spend as much time with my friends as I wanted. Perfect living situation!

Maria and Tom who personally greeted us at the airport and came on the excursions with us were not only welcoming, but extremely helpful, friendly, and made us feel comfortable right from the first moment we arrived. All of us in this summer's program will miss them a lot!

View detailed rating

I spent the Fall 2008 semester studying at...

I spent the Fall 2008 semester studying at the University of Westminster in London. I also participated in a part-time internship arranged through the university. I experienced a great part of London and the UK, and ISA's excursions and our group made it a memorable experience.