ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants

ISA Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

Granada Life

I loved studying abroad in Granada with ISA! I wouldn't have chosen a different program; they are the best. If I ever needed help, the ISA staff was there 24/7 to help me out. Their office was located just around the corner from the school I attended, the CLM, where I could use the computer lab during their office hours. The other students that I knew had to travel further to go to their program's offices. I also loved the excursions that ISA planned for my fellow students and I. We went to Sevilla, Las Alpujarras, Nerja, Madrid, Toledo, Córdoba and Morocco, and they did all the planning for us. ISA is definitely the program to study abroad with!

Granada! My favorite city in Spain

I'm under the impression that Granada is an underrated city in Spain. It has a magical vibe, so full of history. The mountains surrounding the city are absolutely stunning. There was no other city in Spain that i felt had such a wonderful environmental surrounding. It is the perfect city to study abroad in if you choose to study in Spain. ISA is helpful in informing us about activities which we can do in a near Granada. They also assist you in making the most of your semester by being there for you every step of the way. When i say this, i do not mean that ISA staff is breathing down your neck. They give you freedom to do your own thing, but its comforting to know that they are always there if needed. Also, the housing provided was not at all fancy, but the warm staff of my residencia more than made up for this fact. ISA sets up a couple of excursions during the semester. These excursions were definitely some of the funnest, most memorable and most educational parts of the semester. The Morocco excursion costs extra, but don't miss it! It was by far the best one in my opinion. (I studied in the Spring, idk if this is available in the Fall). One piece of advice to those of you who choose Granada. Having chosen such a wonderful city you will unfortunately have to deal with a few hordes of tourists now and then, especially in the warmer months. Don't be a tourist! Be a local! Explore the places where the locals flock, there are plenty of them, you just need to do a little bit of exploring. Overall, this program is awesome. ISA really does the job right.

The Adventure Awaits YOU

If you want adventure, culture, and history Granada is the city for you. You are 45 minutes aways from the Sierra Nevadas and from the beaches of the Mediterranean Sea. My time in Granada was a special I meet so many wonderful people and grew much more as a person. Plus the ISA Staff are amazing they are your family away from home.

There is nothing worse in life than being blind in Granada

To describe my experience in Granada, Spain through ISA, I would need a year. Or two. In reality, January 22nd – May 23rd were the best months of my life and I would not trade it for the world. Before coming to Spain, I tried to not have any expectations because I wanted to have an open mind about everything. And that is exactly what I did. Stepping off the bus in Granada was the best feeling ever. I was not aware of all the friends I was going to make, the trips I was going to take, and the experiences I was going to have. When I reflect on everything that has happened, I smile.

The things about Granada that were most valuable to me were my host family, the trips I took, the memories I made, and the ISA staff. I cannot describe the love I had for my family. They truly are a second family. Even though my host mom hates flying, she told me she will fly to the United States for my wedding. My host dad asked me to help him download Skype for his phone so we could communicate after I left Spain (and we talk every week, if not more) How thankful I am to have lived with these wonderful people. Besides my family, I am so blessed to have traveled to Italy, Ireland, France, and Portugal. I had never traveled outside of the United States and now I can proudly say that I have been to five other countries. These trips have been some of the best memories of my life.

Each day in Granada was unique. Whether I was walking to school, eating gelato at Los Italianos with friends, shopping in the Albayzin, or tanning at Garcia Lorca park, I made the most out of my time in Spain. Even though I am thinking about returning to Spain to teach, I don’t know the next time I will be around that many Spanish people. One Spanish woman who was very special to me is my "intercambio" Virginia who I have already blogged about. I met with Virginia every Monday for three hours and spoke Spanish to her while she spoke English to me. These three hours a week significantly improved my Spanish. Virginia is one of the sweetest and smartest women I know and I am so glad I met her.

Of course, there were hard days here too where I missed my family and friends, but that's where the ISA support and staff felt like home. I would choose to study abroad with ISA countless times because of the extremely friendly and helpful staff that is available 24/7.

I will never feel like I am home again because part of my heart will always be in Granada. That is the price I pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place.

Semester in Spain

There is not enough I can say about this program. The administrators are amazing, classes and professors are fun, social life was great, the city has so much to offer! Granada is an incredible place!!

Completing my dream to study abroad in Spain

My time here abroad has been an adventure of a lifetime. I've been able to get immersed in the culture, lifestyle, food and much more. There is so much to see and take in. Beautiful scenery!

Love Study Abroad

This experience has taken me so far out of my comfort zone, but I've loved every minute of it!

Amazing experience

I have been opened up to so many amazing experiences.

Great Experience Granada

one sentence isn't enough to explain how much I love Granada

Great Experience

ISA Granada

Alumna of ISA Granada Fall 2005. Loved everything about the program. Directors are fantastic - they even went out of their way to get me into a class that wasn't part of the program. My host family was wonderful and made me feel welcome. Excursions are great. Only wish I had stayed a whole year rather than just for a semester!

Un Semestre Especial

Oh Granada.... I miss it so much! This experience changed my life without a doubt and it is very hard to decide where to begin. My overall experience was fantastic - I improved my Spanish, made amazing friends and explored Europe. I'm going to focus on three things that I wish had been different: My living situation, prior knowledge about my school's attendance, and cultural immersion. My host family was very caring and we lived in a large apartment complex like most people in Granada, however I was not expecting the lack of communication/involvement from my host family. I think that in Spain many host families are older ladies who need money and so they are not hosting for the cultural experience so much as they are for cash. I found this disappointing - although I could have pushed to do more with them. Secondly, one of the major reasons I went to Spain was to travel through Europe - I even bought a EU rail pass prior to leaving... Don't do that.... After arriving in Granada I learned that my school had a rule forcing you to attend at least 80% of your classes or else you can't take the Final test (a couple of my classes were graded with only 2 tests - each 50% of your final grade). The rail pass was a huge waste of money, was time consuming, and very restricting. USE RYAN AIR! Flying is much faster and more flexible so it should be able to fit into your limited amount of time to travel. Lastly, I was disappointed that the centro de lenguas modernas was its own little island of international students and I had virtually no interaction with Spanish students. If you plan to make Spanish friends, seek how to get involved on the main campus at the beginning of your trip! Overall, I had a great time. The people are wonderful, the city is beautiful, and you will experience a type of freedom you didn't know existed... Now i'm feeling really nostalgic. You will love it!

Good

The program in Granada is good.

My Experience

My experience has been amazing but there are too many Americans around me and it is difficult to meet natives/locals.

I Love Granada!

One sentence isn't enough to explain how much I love Granada.

An exciting semester in a beautiful city

Granada is a beautiful city with a unique culture and rich history. ISA set me up with a great homestay only a short walk from school. My host mom cooked delicious meals and shared her views on current events in Spain. My classes helped me learn more about Spanish culture, and they were all taught in Spanish, although I was mostly surrounded by Americans. I had to try a little harder if I wanted to spend more time with Spaniards, which I did. I joined a theater club, and I really enjoyed that. One of the best parts of the experience was all of the excursions ISA took us on. We traveled to many cities throughout Spain, and we also had enough time to travel on our own.

Going to Morrocco was really memorable

The program provided a comprehensive solution to studying abroad. They were very helpful and also organized excursions to different locations.

Good so far

NICE

I wish the academic situation were more organized however I've really enjoyed other aspects of my trip.

Ok.

Program is nice and okay.

I wish the academic situation were more organized

I wish the academic situation were more organized, however, I've really enjoyed other aspects of my trip.