ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants

ISA Service-Learning in Lima, Peru

La Vida Limeña: How I learned to be a light in the darkness

Volunteering in Lima, Peru with Aprendo Contigo, taught me how to be a positive light in tough times. I was a full time student at a local university and volunteered twice a week with Aprendo Contigo. At the hospital, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Neoplasicas, I provided therapy to children with cancer. Every morning, volunteers and I would work and play with children of all ages, as they sat in their hospital beds receiving chemotherapy. From the fun of finger painting to playing an intense game of Jenga, we as volunteers brought a bright, smiling face and a positive attitude to their bedside.

I will admit, this opportunity is not for the faint of heart. Working with sick children, was something I had never experienced before. I was used to teaching happy healthy kids. There were down moments that brought tears to your eyes, but there were moments that brought tears of laughter and joy. Volunteering with Aprendo Contigo taught me how to be a positive light in a time of sadness. I was a light to the kids and their families. It was the most rewarding experience I had in Peru. I wouldn't trade my time for anything. I encourage people to take time to see how you can be a positive light for someone in need.

Lima La Vida Loca!

Studying abroad in Lima, Peru with ISA was my first study abroad experience and it was amazing! In fact, I loved it so much that I chose to study abroad again in South America two semesters later! I lived in Lima, Peru for 10 weeks with a host family. The first four weeks of my experience was spent taking classes and the last six weeks was dedicated to volunteer service at Casa McDonald del Peru and with Aprendo Contigo at Hospital del Nino.
During the first month, I spent much of my time exploring the dynamic city of Lima. The city is so beautiful and vibrant. I loved the food, the rocky beautiful beaches, the museums, the night life, the cute little Inca Markets, and, most of all, the very patient and helpful program administrators.When I wasn't touring downtown Lima or Paragliding in Miraflores, I was studying for my classes. The professors were very friendly and both of my business classes were taught in English.
Before delving into my volunteering experience, I must comment on the trip to Machu Picchu! This trip is already including in the cost of the program. Machu Picchu is one of the seven wonders of the world and rightfully so as it is the most beautiful and majestic monument that I have ever seen. Our trip to Cusco, without a doubt, is one the most memorable moments of my study abroad experience.
The last 6 weeks of my trip were spent volunteering at two locations: Aprendo Contigo and Casa McDonald del Peru. The administrators and leaders at both locations were extremely patient in terms of the language barrier. They really welcomed all of the American volunteers and helped us improve our Spanish. While working with Aprendo Contigo, I worked very closely with ill children. The experience was very valuable because it taught me how to interact with patients and it gave me a little bit of insight on healthcare in Peru. For example, while I was there, I learned that many of the doctors in the public hospitals were on strike because they wanted higher wages. Conversely, while working at Casa McDonald del Peru, I had very little contact with ill children. Although they were living with their guardians in the house, most of the children spend most of the day in the hospital. My duties were to help out around the house in any way that was needed. My favorite aspect of volunteering here was the relationship I was able to build with the residents as well as the other volunteers. Overall my volunteer experiences at both locations were very fulfilling emotionally and mentally. I highly recommend this program.

Volunteering in Lima

Overall the experience was excellent. The locations where I conducted volunteer work were very flexible in terms of the hours that I needed to complete. In addition, the people I worked with were very friendly and patient in terms of the language barrier. Moreover there are a variety of volunteer opportunities abroad. I recommend this program to anyone looking for a volunteer experience abroad.

El Mejor Momento de mi Vida

I had an incredible experience in Lima and it all started with the perfect placement with my host family. I stayed in a beautiful home (the spa-like bathroom was the best!) and very caring host parents. They treated me like their own child which made the transition so smooth. They took my roommates and I to the park, restaurants, and to local shows that gave us a real taste of Peru. I miss them so much!
Michelle and Danny from ISA were also amazing! I really loved how Michelle went out of her way to find me an internship at a fashion school! It showed that she really pays attention every individual in the program and wants to make sure everyone finds the right fit. She introduced us to her family and her knowledge of Peru was incredible. She, Danny, and Kelly were always available and easy to talk to which made the experience that much more fun.
My internship at Chio Lecca Fashion School was probably my favorite part of studying abroad. There, I got to practice my Spanish and partake in activities that forced me to come out of my shell. I met amazing women and even got to go to my first fashion show! I'm not even exaggerating when I say it was the absolute best! I still talk to many of my coworkers now two years later.
I remember being too nervous to live abroad for five months, but I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to live in a country rich with culture and beautiful people both inside and out.