IPSL Header Image IPSL Header Image

Study Abroad + Service: Thessaloniki, Greece

An incredible experience

I had previously studied abroad on an IPSL program in Cusco, Peru and it was such an incredible experience that I had to do another one! After discovering that I was passionate about animals while living and serving in Peru, I decided to go to veterinary medical school. I knew that the American Farm School in Thessaloniki would get me all the hands-on experience I needed for my application to vet school and then some. I was not disappointed. The summer I spent working with the dairy cattle made me critically look at my future career, the politics of food, agriculture, and animal welfare and helped me gain a new appreciation for Greeks working in the agricultural system as well as farmers all over the world. More than that however, with IPSL, I was able to do on-the-ground research that eventually informed my graduate school thesis on agriculture and farm policy. Now with two IPSL experiences under my belt I realize now that I never want to stop traveling, serving, or immersing myself in other cultures.