IPSL Header Image IPSL Header Image

Study Abroad + Service Learning Galapagos Islands & Quito

Completely Unforgettable

My experience studying abroad in San Cristobal in the Galapagos Islands was incredible. My studies were okay, but the quality of teaching varied quite a bit from professor to professor. One of my professors was the best of my life, while another was pretty mediocre. The thing that made this experience so incredible was the setting and the people. Because we were in such a small town that was completely foreign to us, the students in my program grew into something of a family very rapidly. This family got to go to the beach every day for snorkeling, kayaking, surfing, etc. Because the school was shared with many of the local students, we had the great opportunity to befriend many of the young locals in town. I was very surprised by how interesting and talented so many of them were. I guess on a small island, many of them have become very independent and have tons of interesting hobbies, including music, visual art, surfing, scuba diving, juggling, etc. The semester I spent in the Galapagos was so incredible, I stayed twice the amount of time that I had originally planned on staying. I still keep in contact with the students from my program and some of the locals with whom I became quite close.

I always felt comfortable walking around the island, day or night.