IOI Galapagos Header Image IOI Galapagos Header Image

Social Media - Communication Volunteer in the Galapagos

Volunteering in the Galapagos

I spent 5 weeks volunteering at IOI in the Galapagos Islands working on the social media team. IOI’s strong local involvement allowed me to really become a part of the tight-knit community here, where I got to hear amazing stories and become friends with many of the locals. Through volunteering with the social media team I got to photograph and participate in many local events including parties, beach clean-ups, and health seminars. I was able to spend time with other volunteers to learn about what they were doing to help the community, from teaching English in schools to volunteering at the tortoise breeding center. IOI allowed me to showcase my marketing, web design, and social media skills on a variety of online platforms. The best part is that the volunteer schedule is flexible and not overly-demanding allowing me to get out and explore the natural beauty of the Galapagos!

• The Adventure

Social Media in the Galapagos

I worked with IOI Galapagos as Social Media Communication volunteer. I took photos of events and other volunteers.  I produced a video for IOI's youtube and Vimeo channels.  I also wrote descriptions and quizzes for pictures that were used for weekly updates on IOI's Facebook page. I also partook in the flamingo count, mangrove planting, and beach clean up which were projects conducted along side with the Galapagos National Park. I enjoyed taking pictures and film. I believe my specific service project was important because I helped promote IOI Galapagos to the general public through their social media outlets.