IOI Galapagos Header Image IOI Galapagos Header Image

Medical Intern in the Galapagos Islands

Life on Island Time

I spent 3 weeks on Isabela Island in the Galapagos through this volunteer program, and it was the most rewarding experience I could have asked for. As a tiny community within a community, IOI makes the transition to island life easy, and the staff is very approachable. The locals and the staff at the hospital are also all welcoming, and the volunteer experience I received was invaluable. Because of the location and small scale size, I was given more responsibility than I would have been given in the states or other similar type of program. This allowed me to experience aspects of healthcare and learn skills that I would not have been able to anywhere else! The other volunteers you meet and local friends you make are long-lasting and the island lets you see/do things you couldn't imagine. I recommend this program to anyone looking for something totally different and I definitely hope to go back again one day!

Adventures on the Horizon

The Galapagos was an amazing adventure that anyone who has the opportunity should jump on the chance provided by IOI. Not only was the IOI staff helpful and fun to hang out with, but the staff in the hospital and all of the people I met on the island were making sure I had the time of my life. You meet friends for a lifetime and have experiences that you cannot have anywhere else. I loved my experience in the Galapagos. It is an adventure that will not only let you improve your language skills and teach you about the island's culture, but also give you a chance at healthcare opportunities that you cannot get anywhere else in the United States/Europe.