Tanzania: Dar Es Salaam
Volunteer abroad in Tanzania with a women's empowerment group. The Chiseco Widow Cooperative Savings and Credit Society, a group founded in 2001 to provide economic opportunities to widows in Dar es Salaam, pursues income generation activities through sales of products such as honey, chili sauce, peanut butter, eggs, chickens and vegetables. The largest challenge the group faces is finding a market for their products and creating consistent income flows for the members of the group. Volunteers with this project will assist with training the women in keeping accounts, basic marketing, project appraisal and assisting with grant writing.
Dar es Salaam is the bustling economic and political center of Tanzania. The mix of African, Arab and Indian cultures typifies the distinctive Swahili culture found along the coast of Tanzania. Dar es Salaam began as a small fishing village until Sultan Seyyid Majid of Zanzibar started developing the harbor to attract more trade. German colonists later found the harbor perfect for their large steam ships. Through the centuries, the white Giraffe, Serengeti National Parkbeaches of the Swahili coast have seen countless merchants, conquerors, slaves, explorers and refugees pass by. Each group leaving its mark on life in the colorful city.
2-4 Week, 5-8 Week, 9-12 Week, 3-6 Month
Throughout the year
Participants in the Tanzania programs must be ready for the challenges of living in Africa and have the flexibility to adapt to simple living conditions. Orphanage volunteers must be prepared to work with a lot of children at once. Tasks will vary from day-to-day depending on the specific needs of the orphanage. Participants should also be flexible, adaptable and open to experiencing a new culture.
Knowledge of Swahili is not required but it will be very helpful.
Cost in US$:
Varies by duration. Contact us for details.
- In-country staff support
- Registration fees
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
* Pre-departure Support: Our staff is very knowledgeable and happy to help volunteers and interns to prepare for their travels.
* Airport Pickup: Volunteers are met at the airport in Dar es Salaam and provided with transportation to their host family.
* In-country Orientation: Each volunteer program starts with a two to three day orientation which covers important topics on the logistics of living and working in Dar es Salaam, city tours, help with transportation, and assistance with volunteering permits
* In-country Staff Support: Our coordinator in Dar es Salaam has years of experience working with economic development projects. She is very resourceful and on call 24/7 in case of emergency.
* Accommodations: Volunteers will stay with a local host family where they will be provided with a room and breakfast and dinner each day. By living with a family, volunteers will learn about the day to day rhythms of Tanzanian life first hand as well as sample traditional meals not usually available in restaurants. Host families are eager to welcome volunteers and are a fantastic resource for learning about the local culture and sights.
- Appropriate Technology
- Community Centers
- Economic Development
- Human Rights
There is no typical international volunteer. We work with people from all over the world and a variety of backgrounds. We have placed volunteers ranging in age from 18-81. Successful volunteers are flexible, upbeat, energetic and inquisitive.
18 and up
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Typically Participants Work
Application Process Involves
- Online Application