Volunteer in Turtle Conservation in Bali

Give it a go!!

I want to begin, before I even chose to volunteer abroad. I feel so fortunate to have met Hayley, who had spent 2 months volunteering in Nepal, through IVHQ, who absolutely loved her international volunteering experience. I felt empowered by her story, so I began exploring the volunteering platform.

I call volunteering a platform, because it does not create a perfect experience for you, simply the foundation to create your own perfect experience. Perhaps, like me, you see Bali as an island spoiled by tourists, clogged up with party goers and nothing else. Volunteering with IVHQ, presented a way to experience Bali that involved all scenes. An orientation week in Ubud helps you create ‘best friends forever,’ and simply learn about Bali. This week involved things like cooking classes, temple visits, Batik painting and exploring the city/town.

If you are looking for a program that is heavily involved with volunteering, IVHQ in Bali, is probably not the program you. The volunteering is still impactful, so don’t be too discouraged. IVHQ presents a program which allows you to explore Bali. Volunteers will often ‘go out’ at night, and travel around during the weekends. Weekend trips can last longer than the 2 days you’d expect. In one weekend, a group of volunteers, including myself, hiked Mt Batur (1717m) at 3am, to watch an amazing sunrise. We then went to Uluwatu, in the south, for the rest of the weekend. Another weekend, a group of us went to the Gili Islands. We would always come back to Ubud, our ‘home’. The volunteer house in Ubud was wonderful.

The turtle conservation project in Nusa Penida is more involved than the other programs in Bali itself, due mostly to a lack of other activities to do on the island. You are involved heavily with the development of the project and you have close contact with turtles. The accommodation is slightly more basic than that in Ubud, however this is not a strong factor to discount Nusa Penida. The only way to see Nusa Penida is to hire a scooter, which I highly recommend. I went on a ride, 2 hours each way, to a place called Broken Beach. The island is serene and beautiful. Alongside the turtle conservation project, teaching English at a local school is another activity volunteers participate in. I personally loved the experience. I was nervous, and didn’t know what I was doing. Just try your best, and have fun with the kids. I personally recommend staying 1-2 weeks in Nusa Penida.

The people I met in Ubud and Nusa Penida changed me. I have never had so much fun, with my only regret being, I didn’t stay longer. With the awesome people you meet, memories of a lifetime will be created, if you simply allow them to be. I recommend staying in Ubud for 4-6 weeks.

I recommend IVHQ if you are passionate about volunteering, but also want to meet great people, and explore Bali and be a ‘tourist’. I have been on holidays before, but never had I immersed myself in a place, as I have done in Bali. Volunteering provided a platform to explore Bali, in my opinion, in a strong cultural context, that could be dictated by you, that was not a veneer of Bali, but of what it truly has to offer. I feel blessed, to have had the experience of a lifetime in Bali.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 13, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Hi Calvin. Thanks so much for sharing honest and detailed thoughts of your volunteer experience in Bali with IVHQ. We are glad to have been part of providing you an experience of a lifetime. We hope to have you volunteer again with us soon.

The Heart of a Volunteer

And just like that, three weeks in Bali flew by and within them remain wonderful memories and teachings of love, compassion, and the beauty of the human spirit.

The Turtle Conservation Project in Nusa Penida is led by coordinators, Putu, Agus, and Dicka, who are passionate, diligent, and committed in their work to conserve sea turtles as well as to the volunteers themselves. All your basic needs are covered, and as long as you have an open mind and grateful heart, the experience and time spent in Nusa Penida should prove to be invaluable.

After becoming jaded and worn down by working life in big cities, personally, this volunteer trip acted as a recharge, reminding me and ingraining within me the desire and value of acting for the sake of others rather than the self.

After just three weeks, I had made what may prove to be lifelong friends whom I will see in the future for our next volunteer trips and have been instilled with a dedication to bringing the heart of a volunteer wherever life may lead me.

Having come this far, take the next step. Volunteer!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Hi Edward, Thanks for the recommendation! It sounds like you had a really positive experience volunteering in Bali and we are glad to have facilitated this for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to see you on another of our programs at some point in the future.