International Volunteer HQ Header Image International Volunteer HQ Header Image

Volunteer in Healthcare Education in Bali

Can I do it all over again?

Words cannot describe my experience in Bali. If you're reading this because you are considering Bali, I say stop researching and GO! Here are some points as to why I loved my experience:

1. The people are so warm and welcoming
2. The scenery is unreal!
3. Green Lion is INCREDIBLE!
4. Orientation week was amazing!
5. The kids are eager to learn and play!

Green Lion is the organization you will be working with. For the very short time I was there, they became my family. They went out of their way to help us in anything, and I mean anything! You can just tell how much they care for their volunteers. The accommodations were comfortable, washrooms were western. Orientation week is amazing! At first, I thought a week is kind of long, but at the end of the week I wanted to do it all over again. This is the time to learn and make new friends. During this time we walked through rice paddies, visited the monkey forest, learned the language, learned their cultural traditions, watched a cultural dance, visited a water temple, and learned how to cook. For the placement itself, you were partnered up and given a class. On a normal day my partner and I would make a lesson plan in the morning and go to placement in the afternoon. Being in the health care program was difficult at first because of the language barrier, but we quickly got over it through the help our coordinators. We played many games, did lots of colouring activities and shared lots of smiles. Instead of us teaching, I think we learned more from them. They taught us Bahasa (Indonesian) and how to appreciate the things we have. At the end of this trip I only had one regret, and that was not staying longer. The feeling of being there is so incredible that life back at home seems kind of boring. Therefore I did not say goodbye to Bali but more of a see you later type of thing.

Terima Kasih (Thank-You) Bali for such an incredible adventure! - love Sarah (CAN)

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Hi Sarah, It’s great to hear from you. Thanks for sharing your recommendation for our Bali volunteer program. It really sounds like you had an incredible experience and we are glad that we could facilitate this for you. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program soon.