Volunteer in Construction and Renovation in Ghana

Beautiful Ghana

I would say Ghana is the country of happiness. You become part of a huge family who looks after you and helps you whenever it's needed. Volunteer Corps Organization made me feel safe, the staff at the placement helped me so much and taught me everything about the culture (I'm happy to say that I almost felt like an Obibini (local) :D ) and the volunteers made my trip unforgettable. My favorite part of the day was the 30 minute walk through the small villages to the school we were working at, because the children would run up to us and ask us how we were and what our names were. That always put a smile on my face and gave me energy for the rest of the day. 3 weeks have passed since I had to say those hard goodbyes and there hasn't been a day that I haven't thought about Ghana. It will always have a special place in my heart. Thank you so much for giving me the chance to experience Ghana in the most beautiful way possible.

Amazing volunteer abroad experience in Ghana

I can't put words to how incredible it was to volunteer in Ghana. I never realized how big of an impact volunteering abroad would have on my life, but now that I've done it, I can't imagine my life without this experience. I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to immerse myself into the Ghanaian culture and learn all about the different components of life firsthand. There is something truly beautiful and unique about this country and its people. The local team in Ghana (Evans, Benedict, etc.) is incredibly helpful and was always available to answer any questions you might have. There was never a time when I didn't feel safe or well taken care of. Every single aspect of my time spent in Ghana was incredible. I never realized how difficult it would be to leave at the end of my 5 weeks- it was really hard to say goodbye to the people who had become my second family. My biggest piece of advice for anyone thinking about volunteering here is to just do it and to stay as long as you can.

I was amazing!!!!

After volunteering in Ghana for 10 weeks I can easily say that it was the greatest time of my life. I didn't know what to expect going out there, but during my time I learnt so many things about the culture and myself (so yes I did 'find myself'). During my voluntary work I realised that the people you are with either make or break your experience, and I am so grateful for everyone I volunteered with because they truly made my experience a phenomenal one. I am so thankful for everything they did for me, and I cannot wait to see them soon.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 09, 2017 at 5:41 PM

Hi Giles, Thanks so much for sharing. We are thrilled to hear that you had the time of your life in Ghana. It sounds like you were surrounded by other amazing volunteers and it is nice to hear that you are planning to catch up with them again. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us in the future!
    Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Amazing

I volunteered in Ghana for 6 weeks and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The construction work is hard so I would only recommend it to people who are reasonably fit. When I was there we mainly worked on digging a hole at the local school for a pit toilet which will last 10+ years, so you really get a feel of helping the community. The program is very well organised and any issues you have when you are there are well listened to. Being able to mix with other volunteers from all over the world is a great experience and keeps the social life lively. You are also able to travel on the weekends so you can see more of Ghana! I would 100% recommend to anyone thinking of going, my advice would be to throw yourself into as much as possible because you won't regret it!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Hi Jacob, We are thrilled to hear that your 6 weeks in Ghana was one of the best experiences of your life! It’s amazing to think that the work you were involved in will last the local school for more than 10 years. We are glad that we could facilitate your trip and you certainly made the most of it by exploring Ghana in your free time, getting to know your IVHQ family, and getting stuck into the volunteer work. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to have you join IVHQ again in the future!

Construction in Ghana

The projects we worked on included digging a huge hole for a school's pit toilet with shovels and pickaxes, and plastering the walls of our compound which doubled as a childcare centre. Anyone wanting an adventure with lots of exercise should go! I had the time of my life.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 06, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Hi Liam, We are so glad that you have the time of your life in Ghana. Adventure and exercise – we could probably all do with a bit more of this . Thanks for being a great IVHQ volunteer and we hope you will join us again in the future.

Experience of a lifetime

For years I'd wanted to volunteer in construction work abroad. Having read about Ghana, I soon realised it was a very beautiful, safe country with a rich history...I was certainly not wrong!

I'd never travelled alone and although the prospect of doing this was daunting, the programme staff made me feel at ease immediately.

During the weekdays we’d do plastering and make bricks. The beauty of this site was that we lived there and were able to interact with the local children, playing with them and helping them with homework. We were free to travel around at the weekends and often found ourselves heading to the beautiful beaches and dancing the nights away.

The members of the local community were so friendly and welcoming. The children loved collecting water with us and helping us do our laundry – there’s nothing quite like the smile on a child’s face and the sound of their laughter!

I made some amazing friends during my trip and learnt a lot about both myself and Ghana. I’d highly recommend the whole package.

I genuinely had the experience of a lifetime and intend on doing it all over again!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for writing such a positive review from your time volunteering in Ghana with IVHQ. We’re happy to read that you enjoyed the experience, and would love to have you volunteer abroad with us again soon!

Extraordinary.

When I signed up to this programme i had no idea what to expect, who i'd be working with, what we'd be doing- really there was just so much research you could do before just taking a chance. It turned out to be a fantastic experience and i would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

We got to spend the day making bricks from scratch or laying them. Building a wall around the women's empowerment center. In the afternoon we had time off where we spent it playing with the village children or go into town do some exploring. During the weekends we usually made plans to go on weekend trips.

During my time there I learned a lot, mostly about myself, and got some wonderful memories out of it. I learned how to value the most simple things in life, however cliché it might sound and not take anything for granted. I became close to many people during this experience and made great friends in the progress.

The locals, children and supervisors where wonderful people and made you feel welcomed- taking great care of you. Now embrace your inner "Obroni!" and go for it.

I highly recommend Ghana and this programme. The country is one of the most stable and safest ones in Africa (according to my experience) and the programme supervisors will take great care of you. 10/10!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Hi Iman, thanks for taking the time to review your experience with IVHQ in Ghana. We’re happy to hear that you felt well supported by our local team, and that you made some lifelong friends! We’d love to welcome you back sometime soon!