Volunteer in Childcare in Nepal

Fourteen Days to Make A Change

IVHQ feedback and review
I've always had an ambition to do something, even though what I am capable of may be slight. And it is the support from IVHQ that made this ambition come true.

I have to confess that although inspired to do volunteer work, but I still feel nervous and flurried when I was actually preparing to practice my ambition. But IVHQ provides volunteers with detailed orientation. In My IVHQ everything was made so clear and easy to settle that my worries and fear disappeared gradually while I followed the instructions and prepare my journey step by step. The to-do list and interactive training are creative as well as useful.

Having completed the online training, finally it was time to go. Encountering nearly 30 hours’ delay, I arrived at Nepal tired but excited. The local team found me when I was issuing a SIM card after waiting outside the airport for hours. Arriving at the guesthouse, I met with the hospitable local coordinator Gone through all the ups and downs; my volunteer trip in Nepal smoothly began.

In Kathmandu, I with volunteers from all over the world enjoyed sightseeing, learning Nepalese, glancing at the culture and history of Nepal. During the 3-day orientation, we began to understand this land beneath our feet.

This feeling became truer and truer after I jolted on the bus for seven hours all the way to Pokhara. This quiet town situated by the side of Phewa lake was where I would spend my eight days, for three of the scheduled fourteen days have been spent in Kathmandu. My homestay was not so pleasant due to the situation of the owner, but their enthusiasm can surely make anyone feel at home. My Nepal mother Bishnu runs the orphanage named Pokhara nestling home; her sister Sundra takes care of the children, and even her own children live together with the orphans.

I went to nestling home in the morning to play with children, ate Nepalese brunch with them and took them to school. In the afternoon, I went to pick them up from school, helped them with homework and watched exaggerate Nepalese TV series. Time flied by, I gradually recognized that children here might have a higher living standard than ordinary children in Nepal; they are able to practice English much more frequently, they are exposed to the outer world by rummaging our cameras and phones for photos, they can get cherished chocolate which is so rare that even Sundra took a bite with great pleasure. The orphans lost their parents’ company but are accompanied by volunteers consistently, and love and patience is the only thing we can provide them with.

When I was about to leave, Chloe, another volunteer asked me if I was prepared. I recalled my volunteer journey and finally found out that I didn’t and would never be. I had to confess that I feel really happy when Sundra asked me to wash plates with her or the children asked me to sweep the floor, I feel so good about being admitted as a member of their little family.

The day before my departure, I was with my two girls from dusk until the sun completely sank down and stars twinkled in the skies. Nisha, the oldest girl, always quite and shy, suddenly rounded her arms around my neck and leaned her face to my shoulder. We stood outside the room under the vast starry night for so long that we didn’t say a word but we took the moment to say goodbye. Susmita, the cute, smart little beauty, shot countless selfie on my mobile phone and asked me to check them when I miss her. Maybe they are smart enough to do these little things for every volunteer, but I cherish these so much for they are unique to me.

IVHQ gives me the courage to go on the road, and the journey gave me the shiniest moments in my lifetime.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Hi Sheree, Thank you for sharing your review. We are so glad it was such a positive experience for you in Nepal and we hope to welcome you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

IVHQ Nepal Orphanage Program (2 weeks)

I spent 2 weeks in Nepal, and most of the time spent there was to volunteer at an orphanage in Pokhara (an 8 hours bus drive away from Kathmandu) that was done through IVHQ.

Much support was given from the very start when I decided to register for the program till the end of it. I was facilitated well and was informed about the different procedures. The IVHQ team was always prompt with their email replies which made the process before departing to Nepal a smooth one.

I didn't encounter an unpleasant experience at the airport when I reached Nepal. The locals came to pick me up at the airport, as was told in the email by the representative from Nepal that collaborated with IVHQ. I fully trusted that someone would be there promptly as I exited the airport, so I didn't bother talking to any other taxi drivers who were eager to provide me with a taxi.

The stay at Kathmandu over the few days for orientation was cosy and comfortable. The orientation definitely introduced us well to the culture and customs of the locals. I felt that was important as it would be good to know the different things that may be important while staying with the local family for the entire period of the program.

The support given by the representatives at Nepal too were helpful and were ready to clarify any queries that I had. Though it might have been better if we were told an idea of the orphanage that we would be assigned to even before we leave for the program to prepare materials that could be used to engage ourselves with the children.

The host family that I stayed with was definitely welcoming. It was such a great experience to be staying with the locals and to have had dinner with them every night. It was a good way to experience Nepal 'like a local'.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Hi Mardhiah, Thanks for your feedback! It’s great that you felt supported by IVHQ before departure and welcome and looked after by our partner organisation and your host family when in Nepal. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ and we hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.