Volunteer in Childcare in Ghana

Olive program experience

I stayed in the Olive house for 3 weeks this past July and I had the best time ever. I went there with my older sister both of us being very young, 17 and 19. Being so young, I was afraid of travelling to Africa by ourselves but I never felt unsafe at all.
Going with IVHQ was a great choice, they were very helpful right from the beginning, always making sure that you were comfortable in the placement and that you were getting the best experience possible.
The program in which I stayed in is amazing, I couldn't be happier. The kids at the Olive house are wonderful. I will never forget all the moments there. The staff at the house is also great, always making sure you are happy in the house.
Overall, I totally recommend volunteering in the Olive program as you'll have the best time ever!
Thanks to everyone that helped us!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Hi Itxaso, What an awesome experience to share with your sister! We are so happy to hear that you felt comfortable and safe during your time in Ghana. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to welcome you and your sister onto another IVHQ program in the future.

Silver program July 2016

This was my first volunteering experience and guess what? I really enjoyed the every moment of the time I was there. I went to Ghana with my sister and my friend and even I had my company I was a bit scared of going to another country. But the local staff those greeted us were very approachable and caring. Especially Evans who was one of the IVHQ local team told me a lot of the culture and taught me their language "twi". Our host family were thoughtful and friendly. Mama Pat's food were amazing and I was the only vegetarian and she made special dish for me for the whole time I was there. I even found that her food is better than my mom. (sorry mom) Children in our program were adorable and mature. Those time I spend with these kids will be unforgettable and because of that I wish to go back. I would strongly recommend this program to may friends and I wish to see the kids.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Thanks for your recommendation. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed every moment from your time on the program in Ghana! We will be sure to pass on your kind words to Evans and Mama Pat. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Awesome experience!

I went to Ghana Silver Program through IVHQ with my sister and my friend for two weeks.
Spending time at the Silver program was an excellent experience that I would not forget.
Kids were adorable and respectful. I enjoyed spending time with the children (especially the bathing part :P ) I enjoyed most of the volunteer duties like helping them with homework, bathing and meal servings (except for the dishing part... but it wasn't too bad).

I miss mama Pat's food a lot after I came back to Canada. I could tell that she was trying hard to give us delicious food for every meal. I was planning to lose weight in Ghana. However at the end of the program, I actually gain weight.. LOL

The living condition was not so bad. They had bed, mosquito net and cool refrigerator (which I found they care a lot for volunteers to adapt better in this environment). I did not find any difficulties during the program.

At the first day in Ghana, IVHQ local team helped us a lot with how to communicate with people in Ghana and their culture. Especially learning their languages during the orientation was very helpful ( we used a lot in the market). During the weekend, we went to the canopy walk and many other places in Ghana. Especially Evans helped us a lot during the trip like better price for buying a bracelet and to the famous street food place near our hotel that taste wonderful.

Spending two weeks in Ghana, I felt really safe and being protected by the IVHQ local team and also from the people who are in charge of the Silver program (Mr. Patrick & Mrs. Patrick). This volunteer made me to open my eyes more to a bigger world. I would love to go back to Ghana again in the future!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Hi Helen, Thanks for posting a review from your time on the program in Ghana. We are so glad to hear that you were supported by IVHQ and the local staff. It sounds like you really made the most of your time on the program. We would love to have you join us in Ghana again!

Olive program July 2016

I arrived early before my volunteer placement and was immediately greeted by staff at the airport. IVHQ staff were very friendly and immediately made me feel comfortable upon arrival. We were taken back to the volunteer house in ACCRA and accommodated for the next few days with food, currency exchange, and a day trip to tour ACCRA and provided with a drum lesson. Afterwards on orientation day we were all acquainted with volunteer expectations and taken to our placement. My program was very nice and I enjoyed the local community of Asikuma. My first weekend we were taken hiking at Wli falls. The experience was difficult but amazing! The next weekend staff took us to Cape Coast beach resort. It was a beautiful experience. We were provided with trips and entertainment throughout the entire weekend. We experienced two hotel performances, Kakum National Park Canopy Tour, Alligator petting, and a slave Castle Tour all of which i enjoyed.
My experiences at my placement were great. Staff ensured we were competent while working with the children. I wonderful memorable moments with the kids and staff. Overall this trip was life changing. I recommend anyone to come volunteer with this program!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review August 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Hi Shuanita, Thanks for your review! It sounds like you had an action-packed trip to Ghana and we are so glad to be able to facilitate this for you. We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Love Ghana

I loved volunteering with IVHQ . I had a lot of fears of what volunteering abroad would be like . This was my first time . I must say everything went smooth and much better than I ever expected. Everything was as it explained. The staff from the airport were totally nice and prepared , organized and welcoming . The program directors and staff were all very supportive and helpful. I got the since of family I did not feel alone in this new place . The program itself is very impactful for all involved . The children are really a blessing and I'm glad I got to work with them. The weekends were awesome !! I only spent a week but I definitely want to come back for longer . I love that the program is affordable. This experience changed my life .

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review April 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Hi Marcella, It's great to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience in Ghana. It sounds like you had a really memorable time. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Best Experience Of MY Life

Ghana was honestly one of the best trips I've ever had! I gained so much joy, understanding and love for people and the world . From the people, the children, the food, great local spots just everything about it was just magical i would recommend it 1000% the staff was just amazing and so welcoming always checking up on us making sure we were enjoying ourselves. If you have a passion for helping others and traveling thats definitely step 1 to planning a trip like this when you love what you are doing thats what would give you strength to continue on because you will step out of your comfort zone but thats the beauty of it all you learn so much and build so many great relationships.

Best of Luck on anyone who is a planning to volunteer in Ghana truly the best decision anyone could make

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Hi Denise, thanks for such a solid recommendation of our volunteer program and local staff in Ghana. The team would love to welcome you back someday! Great to have you as an IVHQer!

Life changing experience

During my 1 week volunteer trip to Ghana, I have gained more than I have expected, I grew as a person, both on personal and professional basis. The children and staff we worked with were beyond amazing, they were so helpful and appreciative it makes you feel like you really made an impact on their lives. This is an experience I would recommend to every single person on earth, because if one does not engage in something like this in their lives, than I do not know what the point in living is.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Hi Loujine, we’re glad to hear that your experience as an IVHQ volunteer in Ghana had such an impact on your life. We’d love to have you volunteer with us again in the near future!

Olive Programme

Despite being one of the first volunteers on this programme, from conversations with other volunteers in Ghana, I think we had one of the safest and best experiences. Our accommodation was far better than I expected and because the people who run the orphanage are so keen to accept your knowledge and advice, you really feel that you are making a difference. Ghana is a fascinating place to travel and with the weekends free you are able to make the most of your time there. Obviously this will add to your travel expenses, but well worth it if your consider the cost of going to Ghana in the first place. I found IVHQ to be one of the most affordable volunteer companies. I felt I really knew were all of my money was going and would highly recommend this programme to all.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about volunteering with IVHQ Ghana and for your recommendation. It's great to hear you enjoyed your childcare placement as well as the weekend and free time travel within Ghana. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another program (or back in Ghana) again soon.

I went to change something on their lives and they changed me...

The entire trip was an adventure! Traveling to a completely different country alone is always special. The group I met there was great, people from all over the world. The kids was just adorable. Happy with all they have. I learned that you don't need much to appreciate life. I hope that my presence there added something to their lives, but they need more! They need school, food, medicine, water, things that we don't even think about. Overall the program was great. The accommodation was simple, well... for luxury we have resorts! No snacks! Just three meals, but you get used to (the meals were great! - Tina was amazing cook!). The program can be improved. Volunteers can do more!

I want to send a special THANKS to Evans - he was amazing! I was sick during one of our trips and he saved me. He was there to answer all questions we had and to look for the best interest of the volunteers! Helping with hotel when needed, car transportation, and any other thing.

My group was also amazing! Funny how we all got so connected so quickly. Special!
It's crazy how we can really get to know people when we have no tvs around.
I miss all the games, talks, jokes, laughs...

If you want to do something special, be a volunteer abroad. Will change you for good!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 21, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Hi Lau, Thanks for coming on an adventure with IVHQ! We are pleased to hear that you had a great time in Ghana and were well supported by Evan and the local team. We will be sure to take your feedback on board in regards to volunteers wanting to do more – that’s excellent news. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Despite being sick and in the hospital for over 2 weeks, I still rate my time in Ghana a 10/10!

I volunteered in Ghana with IVHQ for 9 weeks in the childcare program from June 1, 2015 until July 29, 2015.

I arrived to Ghana before any of the other volunteers starting at the same time, and from the moment I stepped off of the plane I felt welcome. The staff of IVHQ Ghana are some of the most incredible human beings I have ever met. They are so generous and welcoming and want to help the volunteers as much as possible.

I was on the pink program at the Potter's Village Orphanage in Dodowa, Ghana, a small town about an hour tro-tro ride from the capital city. When I arrived at the orphanage for the first time, I was swarmed by 102 beautiful children all wanting to hug me and know my name. The children are absolutely amazing and I made a connection with them that I will never forget.

About 2 weeks into my placement, I started vomiting nonstop. I was sick for about a week, throwing up multiple times a day, before I decided to go to the local hospital to get checked out. The other volunteers and I didn't think to inform the staff before I got sick and just went to the closest hospital. I was there for 4 days before the staff was informed, and right when they knew about it, they came to the hospital from Madina straight away to make sure I was alright. They decided to transfer me to a better hospital in Accra to get checked out by different doctors. I got diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and was admitted to the Emergency Room. One of the local staff, Evans, made sure I was comfortable and he and another volunteer ran around like crazy getting all my prescriptions and making sure I didn't need anything. I was discharged the next morning and that afternoon was vomiting again. Evans then took me to another hospital where I was assessed and admitted to the ER and eventually to the female ward. I was there for 5 days before I was better and was able to go back to my placement.

The whole time I was in the hospital, and in Ghana, I felt so well taken care of by the local staff. They really want the best for you and help out so much! Even from Australia, Edward Adeli, the head of IVHQ Ghana, kept in touch with me while I was sick, and kept checking in with me the whole time I was in the hospital and even after I got out. He really cares about the volunteers and wants the best for them! We traveled to Mole National Park by air and the local staff even helped us book our room and the flight! We went to the craft market and the local staff were so helpful in helping us bargain the prices so that we were not over charged.

I highly recommend IVHQ Ghana because the country is amazing, the people are amazing, the staff is amazing and attentive, and the children are amazing!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Hi Shannon, Thanks for the recommendation and for sharing a little from your story while in Ghana. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience volunteering in Ghana despite being unwell as that can always be a little daunting when you are away from home, but the local team sound like they did everything they could to care for you while you were unwell and this is great to hear. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Childcare Pink Program

I was in the pink program for the month of June. Benedict and the rest of the IVHQ staff were excellent and very welcoming. The children were absolutely wonderful and were eager to learn. Volunteers would wake up around 5:30 and go over to the orphanage to dress the kids and get them ready for school. After school, volunteers could go help kids with their homework or play with them. The kids were so happy playing schoolyard games. When one of the volunteers fell ill, Benedict took care of the situation immediately and made sure she was healthy. The living accommodations were nice and not once did I feel unsafe. The cook was very friendly and was like a mother to us. Overall, I would recommend the program. Ghana is an amazing country to visit. Go volunteer with an open mind and an open heart. The experience was truly unforgettable.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Hi there, thanks for providing such a positive report from your time in Ghana with IVHQ. We were happy to read that you felt well supported by our local team, and that you enjoyed exploring Ghana in your free time. We’d love to have you as an IVHQer again soon!

(Bitter)sweet love from Ghana

Arriving in Ghana, the situation wasn't ideal... The volunteers already there seemed tired and unmotivated, thinking the reason is both with themselves and the program situation.

Communication between the orphanage (PINK PROGRAM- potters village) where we volunteered and IVHQ/the volunteers was lacking in a great deal.

It was us as the volunteers who had to sit down with the local staff and teachers to get better communication and clearer boundaries/rules at the orphanage. This was good as this helped us as volunteers be more decisive and action-taking, although it shouldn't 've been a problem in the first place. IVHQ really supported us well though with different other problems that came up (theft in the volunteer house etc.)

After 1 week of trying to adjust to the local culture and people, things started to look clearer. Also with a new batch of motivated and positive volunteers things got so much easier. Without these people things would've looked pretty different.

From then on we could really focus again on being VOLUNTEERS instead of problem-solvers. The kids in the orphanage were great and loving, appreciative. We helped out a great deal from then on, but i feel this could have gone way earlier.

Nevertheless, my experience was awesome despite these setbacks. Ghana is a beautiful country, great culture and really friendly people.

In the weekends we did awesome things like visiting the waterfalls, or beach resorts and relax a bit. Definitely enough freedom of choice!

As a person I've learned a lot during this trip and def. advise people to come to Ghana and experience it themselves.

Love

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Hi, thanks for sharing a little from your experience volunteering in Ghana. It's great to hear that you had the initiative to work through the challenges you identified at at the beginning of your program. Our Ghana program manager has been working closely with our local team in Ghana ensure that the communication breakdown that you experienced doesn't happen again. It's great that in spite of the initial hiccups your time volunteering and exploring Ghana was so special. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another program again in the future.