Nepal: Bhaktapur, Kathmandu
Volunteers can do their medical elective at a hospital in Kathmandu or Bhaktapur where they will have hands on clinical experience in a field of operations relevant to their expertise. IVHQ’s medical elective program is invaluable for a career in medicine.
Volunteers will experience first hand the stark contrast between Western medical practice and the realities of medicine in developing countries. Key requirements for a volunteer on the Nepal medical elective program are initiative, enthusiasm, and readiness to work in unfamiliar circumstances such as surgeries with minimal resources and understaffed hospitals.
NB: For the medial elective, volunteers need to be training or qualified in a relevant medical field. Therefore, volunteers are required to present a copy of their qualifications and certificates to our program partner on arrival in Nepal. The medical elective also incurs a surcharge of US$5 per day to cover costs associated with this program. This will be included in the fees quoted to you when you apply.
10 Great Reasons to choose IVHQ for your volunteering experiences:
* Affordability - Low program fees which focus on getting more and more people to volunteer abroad and help those in need!
* Flexibility - We work with you to arrange your trip!
* Quality - High quality programs and great feedback from past volunteers! 5000 volunteers annually cannot be wrong!
* Support - Dedicated IVHQ volunteer abroad program coordinator to help your arrange your trip!
* Safety - All locations and accommodation, vetted by IVHQ staff!
* Friendship - Over 5000 volunteers annually meaning you will meet lots of volunteers to volunteer and socialize with!
* Need - Hundreds of projects around the world that need volunteers!
* Loyalty - Long term partnerships with communities meaning real change!
* Experience - Over 15000 volunteers placed around the world making us one of the world's most experienced organizations!
* Enjoyment - "The best experience of my life!" Thousands of volunteers say this to us every year - we are sure you will too!
1-2 Week, 2-4 Week, 5-8 Week, 9-12 Week
Starts on the 1st and 15th of each month
Cost in US$:
From USD 250!
Program Fees Include:
Volunteers pay a registration fee of USD 249 which covers 24/7 support from IVHQ staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
They then pay a program fee, dependent on the duration of their volunteer program, which covers accommodation and meals during volunteer placement period, airport pick up, orientation, program supervision, In-country 24/7 volunteer support and In-country administration costs. Volunteers are responsible for their own flights, visas, travel insurance and vaccinations (where required).
- For the medial elective, volunteers need to be training or qualified in a relevant medical field. Therefore, volunteers are required to present a copy of their qualifications and certificates to our program partner on arrival in Nepal. The medical elective also incurs a surcharge of US$5 per day to cover costs associated with this program. This will be included in the fees quoted to you when you apply.
- Community Health
- Health Care
The majority of our volunteers are aged between 18 and 30, but we do have many older volunteers participate on our programs (including 82 year olds!) and we welcome all volunteers regardless of their age.
18 and over
This Program is open to
European, Canadian, Australian, American, South African, Kiwi, Worldwide and Asian Participants.
Typical Living Arrangements
- Group living
Independently or in Groups
Typically Participants Work
Independently or in Groups of between 2 and 20
Application Process Involves
- Online Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network
- Exit Debriefing Abroad