Volunteer and Teach in Tanzania

A Life changing experience

At first, when I signed up to volunteer for a month and a half with IVHQ and TVE in Arusha, Tanzania, a whole rush of emotions went through me the months leading up to my experience. As soon as I landed and took in all the sights, sounds and people I knew instantly that I would fall in love with the place I decided to spend the next 6 weeks at. The first few days of my experience were quite overwhelming as I was thrown into a world that I had no idea about (and only read about and seen pictures, which doesn't do the country nearly ANY justice). As I got to meet the locals, our house mama's, other volunteers, and explore the city, I got so absorbed by the culture that I was yearning to learn more and more about the Tanzanian way of life each day. Every single day spent in Tanzania brought new adventures and even better memories.
The school I was placed at was called Testimony. I feel incredibly fortunate and so lucky that I was placed at this school because the connections I ended up making with my students I know will stay with me for a life time. 95% of the children at our school spoke English which was incredible because we were able to hold full conversations and make amazing, life lasting relationships with our students. Class 6 was a class Breanne (a friend who volunteered with me) and I fell in love with and made absolute best friends with the students. They were always so full of life and smiles and especially questions. Teaching all our students was an absolute pleasure, especially because they were always so eager to learn.
Outside of placement, making friends with other volunteers was truly an experience in its own. Getting to explore a world that is so different from ours, together was really incredible, and I'm glad I made life long friends that I can forever share this experience with.
The whole Tanzanian adventure was life changing to say the least. It was incredibly humbling and made me realize things that I never thought I would take for granted before. I feel like I grew into such a better person thanks to my friends, students and family that I made there, and it will forever be an experience that will stay with me.
So here's to Tanzania and all the incredible experiences it brought with it. Maisha marefu (good life) and asante sana friends!

Emma

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 12, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Hi Emma, Thanks for the review. It’s great to hear that your volunteer experience in Tanzania was such a memorable time. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to see you back on another volunteer trip soon.