Volunteer and Teach English in Ecuador

The World May Not Need You, But You Need It

There isn't one word to describe my experience. It was all incredible, amazing and fantistic at the same time. So I guess if I had to describe my trip in one word it would be: fantazible; all three in one. The program itself is the epitome of how a successful international volunteer program should be run. The entire staff of VCE were natives of the country who understood best how to connentrate outside help within their local communites, making the volunteers' experiences both meaningful and authentic. For instance, being that there is a shortage of english teachers in Ecuador due to legal reasons, I personally felt that my presence there was being utilized as I was teaching english in the school. In addition, by living with Ecuadorian families in the local communites, Volunteers, such as myself, were able to immerse ourselves completley into the culture, making it an enriching learning experience for the volunteers as well. I not only learned about the Ecuadorian culture I have come to love and appreciate, but my spanish has also improved significantly in my short time there. Most importantly, this oppurtuniy to volunteer abroad has humbeled me. I've that you cant save the world in one short journey to another land, but you can save yourself from ignorance and boredom by trying. I know I didnt fix the language barrier problem that currently exists in Ecuador and peraps I didnt change any child's life, but they certiantly changed mine, and for the better. By immerseing myself completley in this program I have learned more by experience than I ever could have in any paper back text book. and that knowledge is proceless. I am forever greatful to those who have given me this oppurtunity to live my life to the fullest. Thank you IVHQ!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Hola Jessica, it's great to read about your volunteer experience. We are so glad to hear you had such a memorable time in Ecuador. We hope to have you back on another IVHQ program soon. Thanks for being an IVHQer!