Volunteer and Teach English in Costa Rica

Teaching English

I was able to volunteer at an after school teaching english program while in Costa Rica. It wasn't easy but as I was teaching the kids it was rewarding to see them gaining confidence in their english skills and building upon what they already knew!

For 2 weeks my name was "Teacher" and I loved it

I had the wonderful experience of volunteering abroad in Costa Rica. For two weeks, my name was teacher and I absolutely loved it. Every day I would take 2 buses to go to the small town of Coronado and teach English to about 15-20 adults. The program was very independent, although the local partner offered resources to help you teach, it was really up to you to take initiative and make the class the best it could be. I really enjoyed my experience because my students really wanted to learn and they wrote everything down. I spent an hour in the morning each day, planning out my lesson. The first day, the community partner gave an example lesson for adults and then the next two weeks were all on me. Be prepared with teaching activities and take the time to plan your lesson. They really appreciated the English teachers being there. I was the only teacher in the classroom. Two other volunteers taught ESL to children.

In terms of my general experience abroad, I would say to go into service abroad with an open mind, ready to take initiative, meet people from all over the world and just put yourself out there. IV HQ was great in coordinating everything but they do not schedule your day to the minute. Resources and opportunities are offered, but it's up to you to take advantage of them. I would do service through IV HQ again.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Hi Christina, It’s great to read about your volunteer experience in Costa Rica with IVHQ. Thanks for sharing your insights into what it’s like volunteering and your recommendations for future volunteers are invaluable. We hope to see you on another of our volunteer programs soon.