Marine Conservation Volunteering with IVHQ in Madagascar

2 months wasn't long enough!

I got the opportunity to start this program as one of the first groups brought into camp and I have had an even better experience than I thought I thought I would have. I didn't come into it with the highest of expectations but I was blown away. Obviously you aren't going to have the same luxuries as you would at home but thats why you travel... To be able to see how other people live and whats it's like in there society and culture. When I was there, the camp wasn't completely built to what I'm sure it looks like now but I loved it. I felt like I got to be apart of something and give my ideas to help make the camp better for the next group of volunteers.

The accommodation is beautiful and you quickly become a family with all the volunteers there. Thats the best part about being in situations like this... You instanly bond with people from all over the world.

In the marine program you get to go on at least 2 dives a day and also get the opportunity to learn about something that many people don't get the chance to. I gained so much knowledge about the marine life that is there (which is unreal). The instructors there do a great job at making you feel safe and comfortable with diving as I was a little nervous in the beginning since I had never dived before this trip. I was never once worried about my safety there because I knew that someone was always looking out for me. I gained a lot of confidence through my 64 dives I got to do in 2 months, and even got to lead some survey dives which was a rewarding experience. You go through quite a lot of training for the research part of it, which helps you collect better data and it becomes second nature after awhile. You get to go out on fun dives as well, where you get to explore the reef. You end up knowing your way around underwater like you would walking through a city. You can really see your impact instantly too because when I was there we were starting to do weekly beach and reef cleans.

The local people there are amazing... and everyone is so friendly towards you. A lot of people don't speak much english so its cool to get the opportunity to learn some Malagasy and French. My experience was one I'm never going to forget... I can't wait until I get to return. There is so much of Madagascar to explore!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Hi Karen, It sounds like you had an incredible time! Thank you for sharing your experience volunteering in Madagascar with IVHQ and we hope to have you back on another of our programs in the future.

My Amazing Volunteer Experience in Madagascar

I absolutely LOVED my 2 months with MRCI (through IVHQ) in the marine conservation program. Though I was in the second intake of volunteers and the program was brand new, I felt like everything was already well organized. Accommodations were very rustic and basic: open bungalows with solar power and water fresh out the mountain for showers... it really was island living and what more could you ask for? Diving twice a day, gathering data on sea life, doing beach cleanups, working towards the awareness and conservation of the ecosystem of Madagascar; I was living the dream. The facilitators Chloe, Liz, & Kyle were awesome and definitely knew their stuff. When choosing this program, please remember you will be living basic island life, doing amazing work for the beautiful country of Madagascar, and you won't want to leave!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 02, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Hi Alyssa, It’s great to hear about your experience volunteering with IVHQ on our Marine Conservation program earlier year. It does sound like a dream volunteer experience in the incredible Madagascar - thank you for sharing.

Marine Research

Loved my time at MRCI, met some amazing people in an amazing location. Diving in the area is beautiful with the experiences I have gained allowing to enjoy my diving all the more. Camp life is in a relaxed environment with friendly staff.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 02, 2014 at 1:36 PM

We love hearing about our volunteers experiences on our programs. Your experience sounds idyllic and it’s great to hear that you shared your time in Madagascar with some of our other amazing IVHQers. We hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

Love it!!!

I absolutely loved my time at MRCI, the location of the camp was absolutely breathtaking and the people amazing. I spent two months there volunteering with the Marine Conservation program, and I couldn't recommend it enough! I absolutely fell in love with the area, and I can't wait to go back!!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 02, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Hi Alex, we can’t wait to have you back!! Thank you for sharing your experience volunteering with IVHQ in Madagascar on our Marine Conservation program.