Incredible Volunteering in Tanzania: Costs from USD 270

Wonderful Teaching Experience in Arusha

Arriving Europe just now, I really missing the days spent in Arusha Tanzania!

I was assigned to Testimony School in Arusha, which is the 3rd largest city in Tanzania. I would like to give three key wordshere: love, friendship, nature.

Love I spread in the school, love Ifeltfrom other vonlunteers, lovefrom director of theschool, love from all officers of IVHQ and TVE. I felt that the kids there are eagerly to learn and dream for the future. The director who funded the school in extremely difficult situations and spent all what he has to maintain the school.

Friendship: we had about 50 vonlunteers during my stay, from Canada, USA, Ireland, China, Columbia, South Africa, UK etc. I love the guys so much that I am missing themnow already. We helped each other, we love each other. Also, we had great friendship established with all the TVE organizers, e.g. house manager, communication manager, etc.

Beautiful nature, kindly people. Although Africa is still a little bitdangerous compared to Europe, once you take good care of yourself, everything gonna be ok. Once you are safe, you could explore the beautiful people and nature. Wild animals, vast african prairie are definitely something you should experience in a safari. Sleeping in the tents, with lions walking around nearby, is so amazing that you dare not to get out of tent in night. Haha, just wonderful and fantastic!

I just love the time there, whenever I have time again, I will not hesitate to vonlunteer there again!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 10:03 PM

Hi Linmu, Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ in Tanzania. It is great to hear from you and we look forward to having you back on another of our programs soon.

Childcare in Tanzania 2013 & 2014

I first went to Tanzania through IVHQ in August 2013 and was there for 4 months in total. In all honesty it was the best thing I have ever done. So worthwhile.
I'd previously done quite a bit of travelling but had never set foot in Africa and I was desperate to explore a country whilst also giving back. All the volunteer programs I looked at online were really expensive and it was clear they were 'taking their cut'. When I found IVHQ I thought the prices made sense and it looked fully comprehensive.
I was placed at Women's Christian Orphanage in Arusha, Tanzania, genuinely 'the poorest of the poor' - to cut a long story short I fell in love with the kids and myself and other volunteers have now committed ourselves to improving their lives (namely we've helped make improvements to the building (electricity and safety) and the well being of the children).
I stayed at a volunteer house and have found myself a new family who are based all over the world, we all grew very close and I love them all to bits.
I had such a great time in Arusha that I decided to return there this year to visit friends who have since moved there after loving it so much, and to check in on the children, who are all doing great.

I cannot recommend it highly enough! Do it!! :)

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review January 08, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Thanks for your feedback on our Tanzania program and on your experience with IVHQ. It’s great that your 4 months volunteering with us back in 2013 has had such an impact on your life and undoubtably on the lives of the children at the childcare placement you worked at in Arusha. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!

The Best!

What an unbelievable experience! Loved my home stay and volunteer placement. A little more dangerous to walk the streets than I had expected, had to learn very quickly to be extra cautious. So sad to leave, can't wait to go back!