OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Affordable Volunteer Abroad Programs: from USD 10 per day

Volunteering in Ghana <3

I have never traveled outside the US, nor have I ever traveled alone, but I have always dreamed of traveling to Africa. I spent 6 weeks teaching and providing childcare in an orphanage this past May/June and it was the BEST experience of my life! It was the most exciting, challenging and emotional experience that I will never forget. I am pinching my pennies so I can return again soon! The children and the locals are so warm and inviting, I immediately felt at home. There were times when I missed my family (and my bed), but being with those kids every day filled my heart with so much love.

Last summer, I began researching different volunteer/ teach abroad programs and stumbled upon the IVHQ website. Upon watching the video testimonial for Ghana, I immediately fell in love. I knew I would do anything to get there. When I compared other programs, nothing compared to IVHQ's costs. I am a broke college graduate and that is what sold me. The information booklet provided me with all the necessary information, contacts, and guidelines to prepare myself for my big journey. chose to come to Africa. Before I even left, I had so many questions. The IVHQ staff was extremely helpful in answering all my annoying questions via email and facebook. (Thank you Louise and Eddie!) I felt so looked after by the program before I even left. During my stay, we were provided with our meals, housing accommodations, and airport pickup on the night we arrived in Accra.

I spent 6 weeks, but it definitely was not enough time. There is so much to see in Ghana, and so much to take in. I think about the little ones who stole my heart every single day. I will definitely be returning soon Ghana is a beautiful country with amazing sights, lively culture, and absolutely beautiful people. Choosing to volunteer in Ghana was the highlight of my life. The children I met have the brightest smiles and biggest hearts and I cannot wait to have them in my arms again.

Peru

I volunteered with IVHQ in Lima, Peru for three weeks in the Special Needs program. It was something that I would do over again if I had the chance. I loved my time there and the people I met. My placement was exactly what I wanted to do with my summer. I worked in an orphanage filled with kids with disabilities. The connections I made as I watched some of the kids grow was priceless. As far as accommodations, I stayed in a homestay. There were seven volunteers, including myself, that stayed there and it worked out perfectly. Never in my life have I connected with others so quickly. The food was amazing, the transportation took some getting used to but was easy enough, and the places to travel on weekends were amazing. An all around good and affordable program.

No Worry, No Hurry, Fiji Time

I had no idea how much of an impact three weeks would have on my life until I spent three weeks teaching kindergarten in Fiji. I was welcomed with a cheerful, “BULA!” accompanied with a smile. The orientation week taught me everything I needed to know about Fiji and more. Even though it is common for people to speak English in Fiji, I was more than happy to be taught the native language (Fijian) during my orientation. I had the opportunity to visit a museum that beautifully explained the history of Fiji and gave me a greater appreciation for the wonderfully unique country I was volunteering in. I was placed to teach at a kindergarten right down the street from the volunteer accommodation in a class with 64 kids. It was a bit overwhelming at first but it was obvious how much the teachers and children appreciated the volunteers helping out. I could feel the love every day when walking into the classroom and being greeted with smiles and a, “Good morning teacher!” I was able to spend time with students one on one, in small groups, or direct the class as a whole. The teachers encouraged me to bring some of my culture to the classroom in the forms of songs and games, which I think the kids enjoyed.
I went completely out of my comfort zone going on this trip and it is true what they say: growth happens outside of your comfort zone. This volunteer experience helped me grow as an individual in ways I did not even imagine were possible. Being immersed into the culture was the most eye-opening experience of my life that has changed me for the better. Seeing how people live in an impoverish country was something I never encountered before but I am glad that I did. I not only met local people but met volunteers from around the world who taught me about their cultures as well. I know the friendships and memories I made will last forever.
A friend told me about IVHQ and I was a bit hesitant to travel across the world by myself. Little did I know that I was never truly alone, I always had the support and resources from the IVHQ staff. Anytime I had a question about anything ranging from the customs, language, public transportation, and everything in between I did not hesitate to ask one of the IVHQ staff members. The staff made me feel incredibly safe and cared for- even when I was across the planet from home. I cannot thank IVHQ enough for this remarkable experience and all of the lessons that came along with it.

Unique adventure & wonderful experience in Bali

Going to Bali via IVHQ is no doubt one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I experienced a totally different lifestyle, built close bonds with the kids I taught, and met some of the most awesome people here. If you still unsure about whether you should come, don't hesitate, just follow you heart and try!
Before I got here, I have many concerns. I had no idea about how Indonesia was like. After I got here, all my concerns just went away. The city we stay, Ubud, is a very safe place. I lived in a home stay with other 23 volunteer. The home stay is clean and comfortable, with hot water and anything you need. Besides that, Ubud is a very convenient place. You could find plenty nice restaurants and places to go outside.
The most amazing part is that I met plenty nice and awesome people all around the world. In the free time, we always hanged out together. During the weekend, we went to other places in Ubud and had so much fun together. I felt sad deeply every time somebody had to leave.
The time I spent with children is amazing. They were eager to learn english and came to hug you every time you came and leave. I missed them very much.

Incredible Volunteer Program

I set out on this trip and thought that I would be able to say that I survived traveling to another country all by myself,
but in reality I cannot say that because IVHQ was alongside me the entire time. They provided me with all of the necessary information before I left, and even checked up on me during my stay. The local program was so supportive and made me feel completely comfortable and safe. Not once did I feel like I was alone during my trip.

I would have to admit that I was skeptical of the registration fee, but had a coworker go through the program and told me that it was legit. I decided to give it a try since it was still the cheapest volunteer program that I could find.

I volunteered in the medical program with very little medical assistant experience in the United States, but the medical clinic in Lima, Peru still allowed me to do a ton of hands on procedures with the patients. I got more medical experience volunteering here for a week than I did working in a clinic for the last year. Partaking in the program would definitely help anyone needing a boost for their application to med/PA/nursing school.

Additionally, the housing accommodation was absolutely wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a better volunteer mom. She cooked us delicious meals and even taught me how to cook.

My trip here has not even ended, but I'm already planning my next IVHQ trip! However, that seems to be a trend amongst all of the IVHQ volunteers :)

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 12, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Hi Hang, It’s great to hear from you! We are so glad to hear that you felt prepared for your volunteer trip and supported by our local team while in Lima. It sounds like you had the right attitude to take the most out of your experience. We look forward to having you back on another IVHQ program soon.

IVHQ Ghana...Amazing!

I have traveled to Ghana through International Volunteer HQ in the summer of 2014 and in May of 2015. My experience was absolutely incredible, so incredible that I went back a second time! From the moment I landed in Accra I felt at home. The local staff is amazing. They are organized, helpful. and are always there to make you feel right at home. The programs are excellent and well organized. Whether you are in a home stay or volunteer house you will feel safe and get a true local experience. The people I met (volunteers and locals), the culture, the music, the landscape, etc truly changed my life. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about my time spent in Ghana. Ghana will forever hold a special place in my heart. I encourage everyone to visit Africa at least once in their life and I HIGHLY recommend Ghana, you will not regret it...I promise!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 12, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Hi Emily. It’s great to hear from you! We love hearing from our returning volunteers. We are so glad that both of your trips to Ghana were such positive experiences where you were able to fully immerse yourself in the local culture. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we look forward to seeing you back on another program soon.

View detailed rating

Home is where your heart is

My journey started with a lot of difficulties. Two flight cancellations, lost luggage and a lot of stress while travelling on my own for the first time. However, my excitement was above everything 'cause I knew that the next day I will be standing on the ground of my long-awaited destination - Philippines! My arrival was in the evening and after a fast pick-up by program coordinators I had a chance to meet my future friends - our great team of volunteers. I was really happy with the conditions of living, it was very basic but comfortable and cosy. I got a room in a volunteer house where we shared a bunk bed with another volunteer. Cold shower under the sky and a company of baby lizards gave me a great mood that evening! Everyone in my house was really welcoming and kindly introduced me to the surroundings as well as to the other volunteers the next morning. Our team was awesome! I was excited to get to know so many different, but very special people. It did not take long until we got close to each other, especially during the week of orientation. Our coordinators put a lot of efforts to make this week unforgetable and full of amazing experiences. We visited historical museum of Davao, National Eagle Center, went snorkeling and explored Samal island, we held huge pythons, learned basics of Philippino language and got some cooking skills as well! All these activities were filled with lots of laughter and joy and we could not wait until we get introduced to the work in our placements. After the first week each of us started our volunteering program. I went to the Hill Tribes, which is about 1,5 hour drive from our volunteer house. My stay lasted until the weekend and I quickly realised that it is way too short.. I was welcomed by the most amazing local family and stayed in their house where I had a chance to experience what is the daily life of tribal people: what kind of food they prepare, what is their religion, beliefs and their everyday work as well. Our living conditions were very different than what I was used to: lack of electricity, bucket showers and the food cooked outside (by the way, the meals were amazing). I just loved it! During my short stay I was trying to gain as much knowledge as possible 'cause the family was very open and ready to answer all the questions of my interest. Our conversations were always a part of a lunch or dinner, later accompanied by the sounds of guitar and beautiful voices of my Philippino family. We organized few "cultural evenings" where all family members did performances with the tribal dances and songs. Besides this great time with my new family and our cultural experience I was introduced with the work (mostly farming) that I came there for. My Philippino mother showed me their agricultural fields, taught me how to take care of banana trees, cacao harvest, how to do weeding and cleansing of the plants. I had a blast! Everything was new and interesting for me, I felt so blessed that I had an ability to experience these things first hand. After our amazing working and bonding week it was time for me to leave the tribes. I cannot explain the sadness and happiness that I felt that day. Even though my time with the family ended, I was very happy that I was able to make all these memories, acquire new skills, share my knowledge and experience, help with everyday work and create this everlasting bond with amazing people of the tribes. We did not say goodbye, we made a promise on "see you later" believing that we will meet again one day. After this journey I realised and learned many things.. First of all, I learned about differences that people have and how beautiful that is! No matter what is your race, skin color, religion, language - we can all develop a great friendship and appreciation for each other. Also, living with tribal family opened my eyes and taught me about true joy of life. It may seem that these people are poor, have limited resources, lack of amenities.. but these are the richest people I have ever met. Their hearts are full of love and kindness, appreciation for small things, family values are incredibly strong and their happiness is just through the roof! I am glad that i did this trip and made even a small contribution to the local family during my visit. I guess, no one realises how beautiful it is to travel, help and experience until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow. So make a wish... Take a chance and make a change!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Thanks for sharing a little from your time volunteering in the Philippines with IVHQ. It sounds like you had a truly memorable volunteer experience. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

View detailed rating

Easily the best month of my life

I had the most amazing time during my five weeks in India. I did four weeks in the Dharamsala program and one week of orientation that I highly recommend. The Dawa family members(who's house we lived in) are the nicest, most accommodating people you will ever meet. They are there to talk to if any problems arise with your placement or if you get ill or really if you need them for anything. My placement was interrupted by multiple week-long ceremonies so Llamo found a local person for me to tutor one on one right away. I felt like I'd been there forever after just two weeks and after four, I didn't want to go home. I can't wait to return.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Hi Mia, It’s great to read that you had such a positive experience volunteering in Dharamsala and were hosted so well by the family that your were placed with. Thanks for being and IVHQer!

Kennedi's Costa Rican adventure

I had a blast!!! I really enjoyed working with the kids. Volunteering abroad is defiantly a life changing experience. I made a video to show everything I did while in Costa Rica.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Hi Kennedi, Thanks for the feedback and it’s great to hear you had such a positive experience volunteering in Costa Rica. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

A wonderful visionary of Peru

I had amazing and once in a life time kind of experience doing my first ever abroad program with IVHQ in Peru. The community , the teams, the home stay who became family, the orphanage and its team, but it most importantly the important and wonderful people I have met had made my journey unforgettable and a pleasant one. Will recommend this trip and experience of a lifetime with Volunteer IVHQ. Not only is it worth the the time and money spend, but everyday motivating and making the impact on the ones who need it the most. LOVE. Te Amor Peru

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Hi Narmatha, Thanks for sharing a little from your volunteer trip with IVHQ in Peru. We are glad to hear that you had such a positive experience. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Fiji Sports Education Appreciation

After experiencing a down time in my life and having people surround me with such uplifting thoughts and words i too wanted to give somebody those same uplifting thoughts and words to make a difference in their lives. That's when i decided to Volunteer in Fiji through IVHQ.
Stepping out of my comfort zone into unfamiliar surroundings, third well culture and away from my norm was a huge change from my high maintenance fast materialistic lifestyle.
From the moment of arriving in Fiji i was greeted with warm friendly smiles and information about what to expect for my time in Fiji.
I have experienced nothing less than beautiful people and a loving, caring culture. Fiji has certainly made me appreciate and see things at a different perspective. I will never forget those excited and full of life faces as i was their to teach and support the children, i believe they taught and supported me. What an Experience of a life time! <3

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Hi Ashlie, It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience volunteering in Fiji. Thanks for sharing a little of your story and your thoughts about the program. It’s great to have you as an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another of our programs soon.

Mayan agriculture project

I was lucky enough to spend a week volunteering in Mexico on the Mayan agriculture project. IVHQ was extremely helpful with answering any questions and concerns I had and I felt that I had tons of support from them. The staff in Mexico were also amazingly helpful and went out of their way to assist me. I think the only problem I had was with some of the other volunteers in the house as they enjoyed partying but I was lucky that I was not living there during the week. The project itself was amazing, the living conditions were simple but comfortable and I met amazing people who shared similar interests as me. The work we did was interesting and every volunteer had different tasks. The farm owner/host, Bernd was wonderful and took care of us. Conversations with him were wonderful! The Mayan workers are extremely special people and I am happy I got to experience working with them. Although there was a language barrier, we all found ways to communicate and work together. It was hard leaving but I cannot express how much fun I had and I am excited to go back!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Hi Adriana, Thanks for the feedback. It’s great to hear that you felt prepared for your trip with the support of IVHQ and that this continued with our local team when you were in Mexico. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we look forward to having you back.

IVHQ Ghana

In two months and four days it will be exactly one year since I touched down in Accra, Ghana. I can still remember every single detail, every smell, every sound, the entire two months I was there will be embedded happily in my memory forever. I encourage everyone to see a part of Africa once in their lives because it will truly change your way of thinking. It will change your life. Every day I am back here in Canada is another day I am wishing I was back in Iron City, Kasoa. I had the chance to volunteer at both the Green program (Achiase Children’s Home in Swedru) and the Amber program (Virgin Kids Academy in Kasoa) while in Ghana, both very different experiences. The amazing thing about the IVHQ program is that you could be away from your friends and family for months and yet you feel 100% at home. I have met some of the best people, and some of my best friends to this day while volunteering in Ghana. If you ever have the opportunity to travel, travel alone, and travel with IVHQ. It is a great way to kick off independent travelling without giving your parents or loved ones a heart attack that you are leaving alone. You will never regret Africa. You will never regret Ghana.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Hi Victoria, It’s really nice to hear from you. It sounds like you had a truly unforgettable volunteer travel experience in Ghana. You are right, volunteering with IVHQ is the perfect way to travel abroad solo because you have that support network before you go and when in country and it seems like you took full advantage of that which is great. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to see you back on another one of our programs soon.

View detailed rating

Just do it! Don't hesitate. Bali experience :)

If you ever thought about doing anything related to volunteering at home or abroad all I can say is JUST GO FOR IT!

It was an amazing experience. I met so many interesting people, both local and from around the world. You get to know more than just the culture of the host country, but also you get a glimpse of culture and language of all those you meet on your travels. I made new great friends, experienced new culture and food.

You also have the opportunity to not only help but to also see how the local, everyday life goes for people in the host country and be part of it for a short period of time.

It is also an incredible opportunity to travel and experience the "turist" side of things on weekends and I encourage you to make plans on weekends to see the country also from this point.

Just be open to allow all the new experiences and I can guarantee you will have and amazing experience wherever you will decide to travel as did I.

I'm back home for few months now and I am already planning my next trip!

So stop dreaming and just go for it and apply today!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Hi Katka, That’s great advice, we couldn’t agree with you more! Thanks for sharing a little from your volunteer experience in Bali. It sounds like you had a rewarding and memorable experience. Thanks for being an IVHQer! We look forward to having you back on another program soon.

Volunteering in Ho Chi Minh City

I absolutely loved the 4 weeks I spent in HCMC, Vietnam. I did the special needs program and worked at a daycare with children with disabilities. I absolutely loved playing with the kids and helping them with their English, Vietnamese and math work!

I felt prepared for the trip with the online training and emails from Reeve and others. I enjoyed working with the staff at the site there and the other volunteers. Also, Anna, Khanh and all the other coordinators do an amazing job.

My time there really means a lot to me and I know I'll definitely be going back!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Hi Megan, It’s nice to hear from you! It’s great to read that you felt prepared for and supported throughout your volunteer experience in Vietnam. We look forward to having you back! Thanks for being an IVHQer.

Tanzania IVHQ

I loved my experience abroad through IVHQ. It is way cheaper then any other program. I really enjoyed the kids I worked with and I felt like I was making a difference. The staff was friendly and helpful. I always got immediate responses to questions. I plan to do another trip through IVHQ in the future.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Hi Katie, We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your volunteer experience in Tanzania. We look forward to seeing you on another of our programs soon. Thanks for being an IVHQer.

Teaching English Cambodia!

I had a very rewarding and life changing experience volunteering in Cambodia. IVHQ was very affordable, easy to contact and communicate with. They provide plenty of help and information to help you with your trip. The local staff were great! Super friendly and happy to help you with anything they can. Being there was a big challenge as it was my first trip abroad, but the people I meet there were awesome, and watching the children excel from me being apart of there lives was the most amazing thing. I would recommend IVHQ to anyone wanting to volunteer through a program!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Hi Brydie, It’s great to hear that you had such a rewarding experience volunteering in Cambodia. We are glad that you felt prepared with the supported by IVHQ before your trip and welcomed by our local team in country. Thanks for being an IVHQer. We hope to see you on another of our programs again in the future.

View detailed rating

IVHQ, the best way to get to know a country!

Going to Brazil seemed like a distant dream before I learned about this program. Luckily, my dreams quickly became a reality after I was accepted into the teaching English program for three weeks. IVHQ gives you plenty of independence while providing you with support when and if necessary. My fellow house mates were a joy to be around. I can honestly say I've never bonded with strangers so quickly than when in that house. After three days I felt like I was living with friends I'd known for a lifetime. Rio is a beautiful country and the program allowed me to learn the street names, great places to eat, the beaches, the places to get the best priced stuff, and they introduced me to the language school which further helped me with my Portuguese studies. My placement at Rocinha was incredible. The students and staff were so helpful. They wanted me to learn about their culture just as much as I wanted them to learn English . Working with them seemed more like a cultural exchange than volunteer work, after classes we even went surfing. I never imagined I'd surf, but on the second day I was out on the water. IVHQ helped me make amazing friendships and gave me an unforgettable experience and for that I am forever grateful.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 9:35 PM

Hi Angelyce, It’s great to hear that you had such an unforgettable experience volunteering in Brazil with IVHQ. It’s sounds like you really immersed yourself into life in Rio while you were there which is big part of what volunteer travel is all about. We hope to see you back on another our programs soon.

Highly recommended

I have volunteered in Africa and Peru with IVHQ and both experiences were amazing. IVHQ is affordable, safe and offers a huge amount of support both prior and during your volunteer placements. I would recommend IVHQ to anyone who wants to any future volunteer.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Hi Laura, It’s great to hear from you. Thanks for the recommendation. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program soon.

Ghana - Just Do It!

I'd highly recommend volunteering in Ghana with IVHQ!

I spent 4 weeks on the Turquoise Programme doing teaching and childcare and loved it. I was out of my comfort zone and thrown into a completely different culture but never once felt scared or worried. IVHQ were supportive from Day 1 and I knew they were never far away if I had questions or concerns. The registration process was simple and once I landed in Accra the support continued.

What I loved most was the ability to help out in many different ways. It wasn't a prescribed programme with people telling you what to do, but rather open to volunteers helping out as and when they saw fit and using their skills.

I met some amazing people, both locals and volunteers and got to travel to different parts of Ghana. I have so many great memories and random stories from my month in Ghana!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Hi Gina, Thanks for sharing a little from your month in Ghana volunteering with IVHQ. It’ s great to hear that you felt supported by IVHQ and our local team both before and during your program. Great photos as well! Thanks for being an IVHQer. We hope to see you back on another IVHQ program soon.

South Africa

I had a great experience doing the teaching program in South Africa.

A typical day of volunteering consisted of waking up, getting ready for teaching, arriving at the school, tutoring students in grades 1-6 for 45-60 minute incriments, and going home. After program, we did things such as hanging out at nearby cafes for wifi, relaxing at the house, stopping by the beach, or going out on an excursion, such as seeing the penguins at Boulders Beach.

The staff before and during the trip was always very kind and willing to help. My favorite part of the trip was bungee jumping, and going on a lion walk during a safari trip along the Garden Route. I was in South Africa for 2 weeks- If I did the trip over again, I would probably stay for a few more weeks.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 8:49 PM

Hi Angela, Thanks for sharing a little about you volunteer experience in South Africa with IVHQ. We hope you do your trip all over again and when you do we will be happy to have you back! Thanks for being an IVHQer.

Unforgettable Experience

The IVHQ program was one of the best choices I have made. It was more of an experience and adventure than I could have asked for. I chose the Healthcare Education Program in Bali for 2 weeks. It was a great first-time trip to engage in, and I wish I could have been there for a longer amount of time! The staff was amazing and always helpful, the living situations were way more than I expected, orientation week was an amazing way to immerse in Balinese culture, and the kids at the school were so inspiring. I met so many new friends from all over the world!

The great thing about IVHQ is that there are programs for everyone. If you like working with kids, there is teaching, healthcare education, kindergarten, etc. If you would rather do more hands-on, there is community outreach stuff like construction, environmental programs, and the turtle conservation. Every program is unique and there is something to accommodate everyone! Having your choice of length of the program is also useful. I wasn't sure how I would feel about traveling alone across the world, so I did the 2 weeks to kid of dip my toes into traveling. If you are experienced, you can volunteer for months!

Lastly, do not be afraid to go alone! That was honestly one of the best decisions I made. You make friends there (there were around 50 volunteers my orientation week) and it is great to be able to do what you want to do and fully engage in the experience to open up to new ideas.

IVHQ is the way to volunteer and travel!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Hi Torey, It’s great to read about your 2 weeks volunteering on our Healthcare Education project in Bali with IVHQ. It sounds like you had a really rewarding experience. Thanks for sharing!

View detailed rating

One of the best experiences of my life so far.

To anyone considering volunteering with IVHQ in Italy, I would HIGHLY recommend you do so. The month I spent in Naples by far exceeded my expectations. I met so many amazing people from around the world who have become life long friends. I volunteered with two different NGO programmes which both provided me with a great learning experience and career building platform. I was fortunate enough to explore the beautiful city of Napoli, wander the little streets, try all the amazing food as well as travelling further to places such as Capri, Pompeii and Amalfi. I've only been home for 2 days now and miss Italy incredibly which goes to show how perfect my time and experience was there and I am sure I will be returning very soon. Arrivederci!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 08, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Ciao Soraya! It’s great to hear from you. We are so glad that you had such a memorable experience volunteering on our Italy program in Naples. Thanks for sharing your experience and we hope to see you back very soon.

Pura Vida

Hard work day in and day out drives the United States' culture. While deciding to travel to Costa Rica I knew I would be in for a culture shock, but I had no idea how much that shock would change my life in such a positive way. From the start, I was welcomed into Maximo Nivel and my Mamatica's home with open arms. With only having taken Spanish in high school, I was nervous for the language barrier. However, my Mamatica was very patient with me and took pride in my improvement with the Spanish language within the two weeks I lived at her house. Throughout my two weeks, I made friends that I hope will last a life time, learned to navigate a beautiful city, and volunteered at a local special needs school. The kids at the school were amazing and, even at four years old, made it a point to include me in their free time activities even if I could not speak perfect Spanish with them. I have never imagined myself working with kids in the past, but the cheerful greetings and big smiles from the children each morning are causing me to reconsider my future career path. I was even able to observe physical therapy at the school. As a physical therapy major, I appreciated the opportunity to view my future profession in a different country. Outside of volunteering, I found the Costa Rican culture to be very laid back and welcoming. The "Pura Vida" lifestyle shown through every person I met. I found that I wanted to bring that mantra back with me to the United States. All in all, my trip uncovered a sense of adventure within myself that I didn't know I had. I want to continue volunteering in Spanish speaking countries in the hopes that I can become fluent in the language one day, and I also want to live a life full of "Pura Vida". Even though I have been brought up to work hard day in and day out, I will from now on remember to take time every day to enjoy life and to indulge my sense of adventure whenever possible. Thank you to IVHQ for making my experience in Costa Rica possible because my life has truly been changed for the better.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 06, 2015 at 10:54 PM

It’s great to hear from you Amanda, we couldn’t be happier to read your feedback and it is absolutely our pleasure! We are stoked that we were able to provide this experience for you and it seems like you had the right attitude to take the most possible from your time in Costa Rica. Good luck with improving your Spanish. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ. Pure Vida!

IVHQ Volunteering Bali

I spent a total of 12 weeks on my volunteer trip to Bali. And all I can say is it was the most amazing experience I have ever had. I did the Turtle Conservation Program and have zero complaints. The program is placed on the small island of Nusa Penida which is absolutely beautiful, not only the landscape and the waters but the people on the island were the kindest people I have ever met. Apart from working with the turtles we also taught 3 times a week. Which for an 18 year old with no teaching experience was nerve-wracking at first I quickly fell in love with it and got so very excited to see my kids each week! The ivhq and local staff were always so helpful, and were ready to help with any questions. I definitely would go through ivhq again to volunteer abroad.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review June 03, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Hi Rachel, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on you time volunteering with IVHQ in Bali. It sounds like you had a very memorable time on the Turtle Conservation project. We look forward to seeing you on another of our programs in the future.