OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Affordable Volunteer Abroad Programs: from USD 10 per day

View detailed rating

Exceeded my high expectations!

I've been trying to think about where I could knock off points for this review so it wouldn't just be 10\10 for everything, but I'm honestly struggling to find something. From the beginning, I was lead through the whole process with every question being answered and being made to feel like I had someone to turn to if I needed. Coming into the country I felt very prepared and continued to feel supported by the in-country organisation. I loved my homestay and was also very lucky to have running water and electricity most days. When we'd run out or have a power shortage, I just accepted it as part of the experience and actually loved it because of that. You definitely shouldn't be expecting a 5-star resort doing this because that's not the point of this accommodation or this trip. Instead you should enjoy the beautiful quirks and differences of living in a third-world country home for a while. It was always very clean, food was delicious and I quickly started calling it home. Social life was also very easy and great. Made friends with both locals and fellow volunteers and met loads of like-minded people who I'll be in touch with for a long-time. You'll typically stay in a homestay that has at least a couple other people, so you're never alone and in general, opportunities for forming connections are endless. And last but not least, I felt like I was able to give something to the community I was working in. It's important to know that you're not going to magically "change the world!" and you shouldn't expect that, but your small contributions can\will have great significance, even if it's on a smaller scale. I felt very satisfied working in my community and I'm glad that I could help where I was needed. My advice to anyone who's contemplating is to do your research and then just start planning and doing. I don't regret any part of this experience and I'm already dreaming of future volunteer trips. This could be the best thing you ever decide to do.

Finding myself in Nepal

After completing my two month volunteering trip in nepal I can confidently say that IVHQ delivered an affordable, safe and rewarding program for me. I felt tduly integrated into the family, village and childrens lives. I'm leaving nepal feeling like I made an impact on the children. Whilst they also affected my life too. I would highly recommend this programme and organisation!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Hi Jack, It is so great to hear that your 2 months volunteering on our Childcare program in Nepal was such a rewarding experience for you. Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts about IVHQ and our Nepal program. We hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

Real Africa

I spent 5 weeks in a small village in Ghana helping at an orphanage and teaching maths. I've been to Africa before but I feel like volunteering has given me a real African experience rather than just being a traveller. I have had no safety or health concerns. The people are lovely and the IVHQ programmes in Ghana are great.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Hi Rebecca, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience about your volunteer experience in Ghana through IVHQ. We are so glad that you enjoyed your 3 weeks teaching in Ghana. We hope to have you volunteer with IVHQ again in the future.

Soul-stirring Adventure

Indelible experience! I've had the time of my life learning lifelong lessons. It has truly been an amazing experience. I've embraced the culture and fell inlove with it.