Affordable Volunteer Abroad Programs: from USD 10 per day

Ghana

I had the most incredible time with IVHQ's trip to Ghana. The staff were all welcoming and so helpful. I never one felt unsafe or out of place. Although I was only there for a short time the staff at Ivhq and the local staff made me feel truely at home and welcomed.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Hi Rebecca, Thanks for sharing your volunteer experience in with IVHQ in Ghana. We are glad to hear that you had such a positive experience. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

View detailed rating

One of the best things I've done

This experience was amazing and definitely one of the best things I have ever done. I got to teach English to kids from preschool to middle school. Everyone was just so loving and excited to meet me. I had a great time spending time with everyone and learning about the Chinese culture and lifestyles. I will definitely do this again in the future!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Hi David, we loved seeing your pictures! It looks as though you truly embraced being a volunteer in China, and we’d love to have you volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks for being such a wonderful IVHQer!

Can't wait to go again

I spent 2 months working at the Youth Centre in Hanoi, Vietnam!
I cannot even explain how unreal my experience was! I worked with children who could barely afford school! They didn't speak too much English but you could feel their improvement even with this small amount of time! I also helped teach maths, although it is universal it was difficult to teach as I had kids from all ages! I also taught uni students- it was amazing! They are now some of my closest friends and they are really good to have there! They are lovely and are always willing to help! Just like everyone else in the IVHQ crew.
I didn't feel unsafe at any point and I found everything well organised and run!
I cannot put into words my experience but I loved it and cannot wait to go again!!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Hi Keely, thanks for the wonderful review on our volunteer program in Hanoi, Vietnam. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed working with our local team, and hope that you’ll stay in touch. Thanks for being such a positive IVHQ volunteer!

Turtle Conservation on Nusa Penida, Indonesia

My experience in Bali was amazing!! The orientation week was so fun and helpful in getting to know the customs of the country, and I made lots of new friends, especially with the girls I was staying with at Kopi Desa (our homestay). The week was well planned out, and our travel at the end of it to Nusa Penida (the small island where we would be staying for the next two months) was also very well organized. My time on Nusa Penida was possibly the best of my life. The program coordinators there were so funny and kind, and made our volunteer group feel like a family. Over my two months I really felt like I got to know our program coordinators and the cooks who made food for us every day, and felt like I was a part of their community. Though the volunteer work was hard at times, I felt that it made a positive impact on the community there. And, of course, we worked hard and played hard. There was lots of time for weekend travel, and I even had time to get my PADI Open Water diving certification, an amazing experience in itself. Our coordinators helped us plan our weekend trips, so we never had trouble getting transportation. I will never forget my experience and the friends I made during my time in Bali.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Hi there! Thanks for providing us with a great insight to your volunteer program in Bali. We’re happy to hear the you found the orientation helpful and the project meaningful. We sincerely hoped that you enjoyed your time on the island of Nusa Pedina, and would love to have you volunteer with us again!

Trip of a lifetime

I could probably write an entire book on my experience with IVHQ, but I'll cut it to the minimum. I am a very spontaneous person so I was just browsing to internet one day and found IVHQ the website was very informative and easy to navigate so I came to the decision of going to Zambia and at that moment I had no idea that this decision was going to change my life for the better. I packed up my bags and left! When I was at the airport I realized what exactly I was doing and it really terrified me but I quickly got over it when I arrived in the beautiful country of Zambia. I was met by the coordinators of the program and felt quite safe, we arrived at the house I would be spending the next 2 months at and honestly I was quite surprised at how nice it was. I was introduced to the other volunteers and was welcomed with open arms and had no trouble socializing and becoming friends with each of them. My volunteers placements were not too far from where I stayed but I could easily get around everywhere by taxi and they are fairly easy to communicate with. Mornings would be spent at a local elementary school teaching and my afternoons would be spent at a local orphanage filled with the most precious children I've ever met. Weekends were almost jam packed because there is SO much to do in Livingstone whether you want to relax by a pool or jump off a bridge with a rope attached to your legs there is something to do for everyone. Overall this experience was the best thing I have ever chosen to do and IVHQ made it an even better experience for me and cannot wait to volunteer with them again!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Hi David, we’d love to read a book about your experience :) We’re so happy that you enjoyed your time in Zambia, and would love to have you volunteer with us again soon. Thanks for being such a wonderful IVHQer!

Street Children Work in Ecuador

IVHQ is an extremely well-structured and well-executed program that provides a wide range of opportunities for any interest. I was amazed at how helpful the program managers were, from my initial questions to arriving in Ecuador for my project. My time volunteering was amazing, and I truly felt like I received the experience I had anticipated-and even more. Making new friends from across the globe, interacting with children with whom I learned so much from, and traveling in a beautiful country were great experiences and I am happy to have chosen IVHQ as my first volunteer abroad program!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Hi there, it’s wonderful to read that your volunteer experience in Ecuador had such a positive impact on your life. We’d love to have you volunteer with us again in the near future!

IVHQ GHANA CHILDCARE--AMBER

Enjoyed my experience. Evans was awesome! Very calm, respectful, helpful, and informative. He even brought my sandals to the house I was living at from the IVHQ base because I had forgot them there, which was at least an hour travel time. He checked on me and the other volunteers daily. Enjoyed the kids! Great experience.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Hi Heather, thanks for sharing such a great story! We’re glad to hear that our local team was able to provide great support, and we would love to have you volunteer with us again soon!

Peru 1 week

I love to travel and make a difference in someone's life. I connect well with children, because I truly care for others that are less fortunate. I found out about this program thanks to social media. Without hesitating I convinced my best friend to join me on an amazing adventure to Peru. It was the most amazing and meaningful experience.The experience with the host family was very positive, I had a great opportunity to connect. I would not change a thing. The house that I stayed at was very nice. I stayed with a family in a two story home. there were at least 20 other college students from al lover the world. The family was very friendly and helpful. They cooked great food every day and made sure that I never went to bed hungry. I regret only staying for a week. I got super attached to the children. I was always emotional. I never expected that a week in Peru would change my life. My mind quickly changed . The meaning of life was more valuable to me. I was heart broken when a orphan boy asked me to adopt him, he informed me that he would wait for me because he knew he wouldn't get adopted. Because of this experience I want to adopt a child. I already paid for my next two trips to Colombia and brazil with IVHQ. This TIME I'M STAYING LONGER. I'M STAYING IN COLOMBIA FOR 3 WEEKS AND BRAZIL FOR 8 WEEKS IN THE SUMMER. I'm planning my next trip to Argentina for 3 weeks with IVHQ. I highly suggest to stay longer than 1 weeks to fully experience the beautiful country and spend quality time with the children. IVHQ HAS inspired me so much that I already got accepted to 3 different programs. I have my own club in FIU, I always inform all the FIU college students about IVHQ. WHEN EVER I HAVE THE OPPURTUNITY I TELL OTHERS ABOUT THIS AMAZING VOLUNTERRING PROGRAM. I'm trying so hard to save up for Argentina, I always a way to make it happen because these experiences are worth it.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Hi Michelle, it’s great to hear that your time volunteering with us in Peru has had such a positive impact on your life! We’re looking forward to hosting you in Colombia, Brazil and Argentina in the future!

One Zambia One Nation

Volunteering is an important part of my life. I have always wanted to volunteer in Africa, so I have decided to spend 6 weeks in Zambia. I have heard it is a peaceful country with friendly people. I was very surprised when I arrived there. People are not friendly!!! That word is not good enough to describe the kindness and spirit of Zambian people. They are always in a good mood, no matter how tough their lives are. They like to meet new friends and learn about different cultures and are always ready to help a person in the trouble.
I was placed in Tutalike day care, which is actually a house of a local woman who made a school for children. There is a first, second a "baby class". I spent most of the time with a baby class, which ranges from 4 to 6 years old. We were learning alphabet, colouring, singing songs, playing and doing many other things. Mercy, Saviour, Delpher, Rance, Ludo, Nawa Nawa, Joshua, James, Mwiiya, Kennedy and Francis are amazing children, who have so much potential. I miss my angels. I really wanted to make the most of this trip, so I also went to Malota community school. Malota is a school that has open couple years ago. The school has around 700 students and only 3 classrooms. Most of the kids are from very poor families and are not able to pay their schoolarships or to buy lunch every day. The school relies on donations. I also went the orphanage named "Village of Hope". I had an honour to meet an amazing kids who prepare their own meals and practically take care of themselves. You can make a child happy by buying it a candy. That's what we did. We sometimes went to the store and bought candies which we gave to the children on the street and at the placement. I have also donated all of my clothes to the "Linda farm" for disabled people and to some girls from school. I wish I could have done more.

The people from the guest house where I was accommodated became like my family. I spent the most wonderful moments of my life with them. I hope to meet the again. I would especially like to thank my friends Kingsley and Oliver (locals) who took me to Mukuni and Musokotwanee village and introduced me to their families. The customs of the villages are amazing and unique.

You can also see my elephant ride and lion walk experiences in the pictures. Zambia has a lot to offer, but I won't tell you about that. You should come and experience it by yourselves.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Hi Aida, thanks for such a positive review on your time with IVHQ in Zambia! We’re pleased to hear the you had an amazing time, and met some amazing people! We’re proud to call you an IVHQer, and would love to have you join us again sometime soon!

View detailed rating

Who knew paradise was real?

Volunteering at this little island in the north of Madagascar has been the best decision of my life. MRCI is a place I will always call a home. Everyday is a new adventure and it's impossible to wake up without a smile. Accomodation and meals are great (maybe too much rice), but it's the last thing to worry about when you are waking up in paradise. A month has past since I left and I keep finding myself daydreaming about Nosy Komba more often than I should. Madagascar showed me how little one truly needs to be happy.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Hi Camila, we’re happy to hear that you’ve found your piece of paradise in Madagascar! Great to have you as an IVHQer!

3 weeks in Sri Lanka

It was my first time travelling abroad by myself and my first time volunteering, to ensure my safety I wanted to go with a legitimate organisation who would help look after me and IVHQ and the local volunteer company in Sri Lanka (Green Lion) did exactly that. Going to Sri Lanka was literally the best experience of my entire life. I had so much fun, and met so many people who were so lovely and easy to talk to. Everyone was by themselves too so all my fears of being alone for the whole trip were quickly put aside and I made friends within the first day. With the orientation week first it was a great time to explore the city and learn about the culture and customs of the country, but things got real when I started my volunteer program (Turtle Conservation). Going to a different town, Ambalangoda was really great as I got to see a different side of Sri Lanka especially one that was less touristy. I absolutely loved the Turtle Conservation program though and felt like I was really helping the community. Almost all of the turtles on the project are disabled, most of them being blind, missing fins or being affected by eating plastic in the wild therefore knew the work I was doing helped make their lives a little bit better as none of them would be alive if they were in the wild. Daily work included feeding the turtles, preparing their food, cleaning the turtles and their tanks and cleaning up the beach. I even got to release some baby turtles as they also look after turtles eggs then release them once hatched. It was a brilliant and very hands-on experience. You can read more about my experience in Sri Lanka on the project and in the country with pictures included here: https://memoirsofalostdreamer.wordpress.com/

As I said it was one of the best experiences of my entire life and would highly recommend anyone to go.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 08, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Hi Natalie, thanks for sharing your experience with us on your time on the Turtle Conservation program in Sri Lanka. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the project and we loved looking through your blog! Proud to have you as an IVHQer!

2 Weeks in Cambodia

Having been my first time out of the country and deciding to go on my own the whole pre departure period was pretty nerve racking. However, IVHQ was able to guide me along the way and really smoothed the process out for me in making sure I was well prepared despite my last minute registeration. Once I got over there it was pretty smooth sailing, I got my placement in childcare and had the absolute best time, it's amazing to be around such tough happy kids that come from very little keen to learn English and also teach a bit of Khmer and handgames of course! I stayed in a volunteer house, the hosts and other volunteers were great to get to know. I didn't think I'd have much time for sightseeing given the fact I'd only signed up for two weeks but I was able to get around to everything I wanted to - Siem Riep, Sihanoukville, Killing Fields etc. Overall, it was an amazing experience and I'd definitely do it all over again.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Hi Bailey, We are so glad that you chose IVHQ to travel with for your first trip out of your home country. It sounds like you had an incredible volunteer travel experience and we love that we were able to facilitate this for you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your experience in Cambodia and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

My trip of a lifetime - Childcare in South Africa

This summer I spent 5 weeks on the childcare program in South Africa with IVHQ and their local partner organisation Dreams to Reality. I cannot recommend them enough! I can honestly say I had the best 5 weeks of my life. From the excellent support I received by IVHQ leading up to the program, to actually spending every day with these children who are so, so loving and need all the attention and love and support they get from the volunteers so much.
I was placed at Sunrise Educare, a very big daycare, in a class of roughly 25 children, all around the age of 2. I helped with feeding, changing, potty training and putting the children down for naps as well as singing with them, teaching them, playing with them and giving them as much love as I could. The feeling of walking into my classroom and having my kiddies run up to me for good morning hugs and kisses was the best feeling in the world and I loved being able to get to know every one of my kids individually, learning about their families, their homes and their reality of growing up in a township and helping them along in their development just by giving them that one-on-one time that they needed. It was an incredibly eye-opening experience and I can truly say that it has changed my outlook on life, as cliche as that may sound.
Being able to spend time with these children and exploring the country in such an authentic way was the perfect mix of volunteering and adventure. Apart from being with the kids, my highlight definitely included petting cheetah cubs and hiking up the mountains in Cape Town. It was very easy to book tours in my free time and the organisation helped me with this too!

To anyone who seems a bit intimidated by travelling by themselves or going to a country where the culture and customs are so drastically different from what they know - don't worry! You'll have amazing support before and all throughout your volunteer stay, you will meet people from all sorts of walks of life who all share the same love and passion as you do and who will become your best friends and don't be afraid to just completely immerse yourself in this new and exciting experience. If you just put yourself out there and you meet everyone with a smile and a positive attitude, I promise you, you will have an absolutely amazing time! I am still in contact with my housemates, whom I got to know and love very much, as well as one of the teachers in my class, who I got very close to in my time there.

Although you cannot expect to change the world in a few weeks, this program really made me feel like I made a difference - if small - in some of these children's lives and it was so rewarding to see them make progress in their speech and to see their confidence growing and their little hearts growing from the love they received. I cannot wait to go back and will definitely be travelling with IVHQ again!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Hi Veronika, You summed it up nicely and we love that your experience volunteering in South Africa was just what we hope for all of our volunteers - 'the perfect mix of volunteering and adventure'. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and recommendations about our program in Cape Town. We can't wait to have you back, see you on another IVHQ program again soon. :)

Guatemala for 4 weeks

I was a bit reluctant to volunteer in Antigua, Guatemala. However, I now miss every second of it. The local people, staff, and other volunteers were all so welcoming and sweet.

Volunteering let me see some towns outside of Antigua and really taught me a lot. Also the kids and elderly didn't really care that I didn't speak fluent Spanish. Everyone was just grateful I was there. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. I highly recommend this program!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Hi Samantha, Thanks for the recommendation. It's great to hear you felt welcomed by the locals and completely safe and comfortable while in Guatemala. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ and for sharing your thoughts from your experience.

Vietnamese fairytale with IVHQ volunteering program ♥

Hey everyone! I want to share my incredible volunteering experience with IVHQ in Vietnam, Hanoi. I did Teaching English for 7 weeks, and from the first minute I got there I realized that 7 weeks was not going to be enough. I taught university students and children from the neighborhood for 4 weeks and kids in the kindergarten for 3 weeks. Every day was so special. Everyday I would learn something new from my students and the culture. And I never felt like I was working or tired, it was more like spending some beneficial time doing something good and fun that was not tiring or boring at all! I felt really welcomed and the hospitality always revolved around me and other volunteers. On my way to Vietnam, I somehow knew that this trip will be AMAZING, even though I had no idea that I will have a chance to travel on weekends. Then traveling every weekend to different destinations turned to be one of the best traveling that I have ever done. I personally thought that I will just stay in the volunteer accommodation hehe. Speaking of accommodation, I really loved it! On my first day I was a little bit concerned but as soon as I unpacked my luggage I did not want to leave my room because it was comfy. You get used to everything so don't judge anything by it's first impression. I was the youngest on my program(18) and if your parent's are afraid to send you somewhere alone tell them that Southeast Asia is very safe and very touristy, and IVHQ family will never let you get in trouble :) I have met so many unique people throughout this journey: other volunteers, my Vietnamese students , backpackers, people who I will never forget and who are my great friends now. Summer 2015 volunteering in Hanoi yahooo ♥ ♥ ♥ !

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Hi Emily, What an amazing trip to have when you are 18! It sound like you had an incredible time volunteering but also exploring on your weekends and downtime. Thanks for sharing your story from your volunteer experience in Vietnam - Hanoi and we hope to see you back on another IVHQ trip at some point soon. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Costa Rica Sea Turtle Conservation

What an amazing experience! Working with the turtles seep in the Costa Rican jungle taught me so much. I have never had such a deep enlightening experience with nature. I would do it over a million days. IVHQ helped me with everything I needed and my travels and living situations were absolutely spot on. The turtles were coming up every night we were so busy!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Hi Madeleine, It's great to hear you had such a rewarding and busy volunteer experience with our local team on the Turtle Conservation project in Costa Rica. Thanks for sharing the photos as well. We are glad that you chose IVHQ and we hope to have you back on another of our programs (or back in Costa Rica) at some point in the future :)

View detailed rating

Amazing Experience! JUST GO FOR IT!

I spent 5 weeks working with an NGO in Cambodia and it was, hands down, the best experience of my life!! From the moment I first applied, IVHQ made sure to provide me with all the information I would need to prepare for my trip, were very quick in responding to my inquiries, and just provided me with continuous support all the time. It was no different once I arrived in Cambodia! The local staff there were very organized, friendly, supportive, helpful, and made sure that they tried their best in making us feel right at home and they sure did succeed! I even had to get my knee stitched at some point and they came with me all the way to the hospital and helped me with all the necessary procedures. While working with the NGO, I truly felt that I was needed there and that they appreciated everything I was doing. This eye-opening experience triggered so many things in me and made me even more keen on working in the development sector later on! The accommodation provided at the volunteer house was excellent. The general atmosphere was amazing, the people I met there were all amazing! I had a blast and I wouldn't have minded staying longer. Actually, I wish I had stayed longer!! I learnt so much during my volunteering experience and I could confidently say that this trip really did change me! Don't hesitate and go for it! Cambodia is an amazing country and I definitely will be traveling with IVHQ again in the future!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Hi Rauda, 'don't hesitate' well said, we couldn't agree with your more! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time volunteering in Cambodia and that both in the lead up to your trip and while in country you were fully supported by IVHQ and our local team. It sounds like you had a truly memorable trip and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program soon.

Kuyuki Do-Wasi in Cusco

My experience at the teen mom shelter in Cusco was nothing short of amazing. I connected with the children as well as the mothers, making me feel as if i had really made a difference. Everyone was so kind. The staff support during my time in Peru really helped as well, when i was sick i was looked after and checked in on. I will definitely be volunteering again with IVHQ in the future.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Hi Cassidy, Thanks for sharing your thoughts from your experience in Cusco. It's great to hear you enjoyed your time and that you were supported by our local team when you were unwell while in country. We hope to see you back on another IVHQ program soon.

My Bucket List - checked

My program was life changing for a 73 year old American. My take away from this program is that life is more than "things or stuff" but giving and being a part of life experiences. I spent 6 weeks at IVHQ Victoria Falls and found that animal conservation program quite exciting. The accomodations and staff were great and I found it quite hard to leave. Made a lots of friends among the locals as well as the volunteers. Working with the Masuwe Primary School was one of the highlight of this program. Since I returned home I have made group presentation recommending IVHQ and this program. The best six weeks of my life.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Hi Clara, Thanks so much for sharing a little from your experience volunteering in Victoria Falls. We are so glad we could be part of such a memorable and positive experience for you. We hope to have you back on another IVHQ program again soon.

Volunteering in Ghana <3

I have never traveled outside the US, nor have I ever traveled alone, but I have always dreamed of traveling to Africa. I spent 6 weeks teaching and providing childcare in an orphanage this past May/June and it was the BEST experience of my life! It was the most exciting, challenging and emotional experience that I will never forget. I am pinching my pennies so I can return again soon! The children and the locals are so warm and inviting, I immediately felt at home. There were times when I missed my family (and my bed), but being with those kids every day filled my heart with so much love.

Last summer, I began researching different volunteer/ teach abroad programs and stumbled upon the IVHQ website. Upon watching the video testimonial for Ghana, I immediately fell in love. I knew I would do anything to get there. When I compared other programs, nothing compared to IVHQ's costs. I am a broke college graduate and that is what sold me. The information booklet provided me with all the necessary information, contacts, and guidelines to prepare myself for my big journey. chose to come to Africa. Before I even left, I had so many questions. The IVHQ staff was extremely helpful in answering all my annoying questions via email and facebook. (Thank you Louise and Eddie!) I felt so looked after by the program before I even left. During my stay, we were provided with our meals, housing accommodations, and airport pickup on the night we arrived in Accra.

I spent 6 weeks, but it definitely was not enough time. There is so much to see in Ghana, and so much to take in. I think about the little ones who stole my heart every single day. I will definitely be returning soon Ghana is a beautiful country with amazing sights, lively culture, and absolutely beautiful people. Choosing to volunteer in Ghana was the highlight of my life. The children I met have the brightest smiles and biggest hearts and I cannot wait to have them in my arms again.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Hi Christina, It's so great to hear that you had such a positive and memorable first adventure overseas and solo traveling experience. It's great to read that you felt fully supported in the lead up to your trip and that the local team exceeded your expectations when in country. Thanks for taking the time to review your time in Ghana and we really hope you will be able to to join us on another IVHQ program (or back in Ghana again) soon :)

Peru

I volunteered with IVHQ in Lima, Peru for three weeks in the Special Needs program. It was something that I would do over again if I had the chance. I loved my time there and the people I met. My placement was exactly what I wanted to do with my summer. I worked in an orphanage filled with kids with disabilities. The connections I made as I watched some of the kids grow was priceless. As far as accommodations, I stayed in a homestay. There were seven volunteers, including myself, that stayed there and it worked out perfectly. Never in my life have I connected with others so quickly. The food was amazing, the transportation took some getting used to but was easy enough, and the places to travel on weekends were amazing. An all around good and affordable program.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Hi Rachel, It’s great to hear your thoughts from your volunteer experience in Lima. It sounds like you had a truly memorable experience. Thanks for the recommendation and we hope to have you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

No Worry, No Hurry, Fiji Time

I had no idea how much of an impact three weeks would have on my life until I spent three weeks teaching kindergarten in Fiji. I was welcomed with a cheerful, “BULA!” accompanied with a smile. The orientation week taught me everything I needed to know about Fiji and more. Even though it is common for people to speak English in Fiji, I was more than happy to be taught the native language (Fijian) during my orientation. I had the opportunity to visit a museum that beautifully explained the history of Fiji and gave me a greater appreciation for the wonderfully unique country I was volunteering in. I was placed to teach at a kindergarten right down the street from the volunteer accommodation in a class with 64 kids. It was a bit overwhelming at first but it was obvious how much the teachers and children appreciated the volunteers helping out. I could feel the love every day when walking into the classroom and being greeted with smiles and a, “Good morning teacher!” I was able to spend time with students one on one, in small groups, or direct the class as a whole. The teachers encouraged me to bring some of my culture to the classroom in the forms of songs and games, which I think the kids enjoyed.
I went completely out of my comfort zone going on this trip and it is true what they say: growth happens outside of your comfort zone. This volunteer experience helped me grow as an individual in ways I did not even imagine were possible. Being immersed into the culture was the most eye-opening experience of my life that has changed me for the better. Seeing how people live in an impoverish country was something I never encountered before but I am glad that I did. I not only met local people but met volunteers from around the world who taught me about their cultures as well. I know the friendships and memories I made will last forever.
A friend told me about IVHQ and I was a bit hesitant to travel across the world by myself. Little did I know that I was never truly alone, I always had the support and resources from the IVHQ staff. Anytime I had a question about anything ranging from the customs, language, public transportation, and everything in between I did not hesitate to ask one of the IVHQ staff members. The staff made me feel incredibly safe and cared for- even when I was across the planet from home. I cannot thank IVHQ enough for this remarkable experience and all of the lessons that came along with it.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Hi Hayley, Thanks for sharing your thoughts from your volunteer experience in Fiji. It is great to hear that you felt supported by IVHQ in the lead up to your trip and by the local team when in Fiji. We are glad that we were able to provide you with this opportunity and it sounds like your attitude toward the whole experience really made it for you. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program soon.

Unique adventure & wonderful experience in Bali

Going to Bali via IVHQ is no doubt one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I experienced a totally different lifestyle, built close bonds with the kids I taught, and met some of the most awesome people here. If you still unsure about whether you should come, don't hesitate, just follow you heart and try!
Before I got here, I have many concerns. I had no idea about how Indonesia was like. After I got here, all my concerns just went away. The city we stay, Ubud, is a very safe place. I lived in a home stay with other 23 volunteer. The home stay is clean and comfortable, with hot water and anything you need. Besides that, Ubud is a very convenient place. You could find plenty nice restaurants and places to go outside.
The most amazing part is that I met plenty nice and awesome people all around the world. In the free time, we always hanged out together. During the weekend, we went to other places in Ubud and had so much fun together. I felt sad deeply every time somebody had to leave.
The time I spent with children is amazing. They were eager to learn english and came to hug you every time you came and leave. I missed them very much.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM

It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience volunteering in Ubud. It sounds like you took advantage of your free time while in Bali as well which is great. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Incredible Volunteer Program

I set out on this trip and thought that I would be able to say that I survived traveling to another country all by myself,
but in reality I cannot say that because IVHQ was alongside me the entire time. They provided me with all of the necessary information before I left, and even checked up on me during my stay. The local program was so supportive and made me feel completely comfortable and safe. Not once did I feel like I was alone during my trip.

I would have to admit that I was skeptical of the registration fee, but had a coworker go through the program and told me that it was legit. I decided to give it a try since it was still the cheapest volunteer program that I could find.

I volunteered in the medical program with very little medical assistant experience in the United States, but the medical clinic in Lima, Peru still allowed me to do a ton of hands on procedures with the patients. I got more medical experience volunteering here for a week than I did working in a clinic for the last year. Partaking in the program would definitely help anyone needing a boost for their application to med/PA/nursing school.

Additionally, the housing accommodation was absolutely wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a better volunteer mom. She cooked us delicious meals and even taught me how to cook.

My trip here has not even ended, but I'm already planning my next IVHQ trip! However, that seems to be a trend amongst all of the IVHQ volunteers :)

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 12, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Hi Hang, It’s great to hear from you! We are so glad to hear that you felt prepared for your volunteer trip and supported by our local team while in Lima. It sounds like you had the right attitude to take the most out of your experience. We look forward to having you back on another IVHQ program soon.

IVHQ Ghana...Amazing!

I have traveled to Ghana through International Volunteer HQ in the summer of 2014 and in May of 2015. My experience was absolutely incredible, so incredible that I went back a second time! From the moment I landed in Accra I felt at home. The local staff is amazing. They are organized, helpful. and are always there to make you feel right at home. The programs are excellent and well organized. Whether you are in a home stay or volunteer house you will feel safe and get a true local experience. The people I met (volunteers and locals), the culture, the music, the landscape, etc truly changed my life. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about my time spent in Ghana. Ghana will forever hold a special place in my heart. I encourage everyone to visit Africa at least once in their life and I HIGHLY recommend Ghana, you will not regret it...I promise!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 12, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Hi Emily. It’s great to hear from you! We love hearing from our returning volunteers. We are so glad that both of your trips to Ghana were such positive experiences where you were able to fully immerse yourself in the local culture. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we look forward to seeing you back on another program soon.