International Service Learning Header Image International Service Learning Header Image

Global Health Teams (Nursing & PreMed)

Change your life, Colombia awaits.

I went on the ISL Colombia experience my Jr. year of nursing school. It had been an especially rough semester and I was seriously questioning my future as a nurse. I decided I wanted to go and have the opportunity to help people.

This trip saved my nursing career. I came back completely energized and excited to finish nursing school. We were in country for 14 days and at least 9 of them were in direct patient care. We did house visits, health screenings, community clinics and pharmacy support to communities that had little or no access to healthcare.

ISL provided classes on tropical diseases, medical Spanish, and suture techniques. The accommodations were excellent and the food was prepared and served home-style by a real Colombian family.

It wasn't all work either. We had some awesome recreational opportunities including; zip-lines, horse-back riding, hot springs, and cultural touring. If you have the opportunity to take this trip I highly encourage it.

Just so you know I was so impressed by ISL-Colombia I took another ISL trip my senior year and plan on taking another after I graduate and pass my NCLEX. You may not come back as excited as I was, but I challenge you to not let the experience change your life.

Beautiful land, beautiful people, beautiful experience!

Our time in Colombia was so busy! We had daily engagement with the community for 14 days; the Colombian doctors we were bilingual and so good, so knowledgeable and kind; so excited to equally serve their community and teach our visiting team. This was the best abroad-volunteer experience all members of our team had ever had. There's nothing like Colombia!