International Medical Aid  Header Image International Medical Aid  Header Image

Global Dentistry Volunteer Placement Programs

A radically different yet incredible experience

If you are you looking for a radically different yet incredible experience next summer, stop looking. This is it. Granted that this was my first time in Africa. And the first time I volunteered as a dentist. So the experience would have probably been a memorable one either way. That said, it was not just memorable, it was simply life-changing. IMA gave me a unique opportunity to both work as a doctor, and learn as a student. There was obviously some ramping-up to do, but it was just a matter of days until I started getting hands-on experience, working with dedicated mentors, and really wonderful colleagues. The organization was also great in helping me to explore, learn and live the city and culture of Mombasa. Locals are incredibly welcoming, and while you might think safety is an issue, the in-country support was just exceptional at making sure we did not take any unnecessary risks. And don't get me wrong. I did take risks. But they involved holding snakes with my own hands, driving by lions at Maasai Mara, and skydiving over the Mombasa valleys. And I can tell you those risks were totally worth taking. The worst part is that all of this happened while staying and living at genuinely one of the most wonderful dorms in the city, with great people taking care of you, and delicious food waiting on the table. Hope this does not sound too good to be true, but I really could not speak any better of my time in Kenya, with IMA. It has been an incredibly enriching experience, and one I will never forget.