International Language Programs (ILP) Header Image International Language Programs (ILP) Header Image

Volunteer with Kids in China for a Semester! (ILP)

I only left China because I had to!

I've always been one to travel, so when I heard about the chance to teach English and travel the world, I was hooked. ILP gave me the chance to not only experience another culture, but to truly be immersed in it. My semester in China left me wanting so much more; I couldn't get enough of the people, the students I taught, or the adventures I had. After coming home, I've not only been inspired to change my career path, but to see as much of the world as I can. ILP gave me the opportunity to give back to the world, experience a part of this planet so magically different than where I grew up, and be a part of the lives of so many students that I miss everyday....I also came home with some mad chopstick skills! Go with ILP- you won't regret it!

Challenging and Charging in China

Leaving your home for months at a time isn't an easy thing to do. Let alone go to a place as different as China or Russia. ILP is such a personalized program, and makes it so much easier to transition to another country. There is someone there to help you every step of the way, before and after departure. The in-country training is great and its nice having other Americans with you. The immersion in the country is amazing as well. You work directly with native coordinators and you will make foreign friends everywhere you go! Not to mention the kids you work with are absolutely adorable. They will steal your heart and you will not want to leave by the end of your semester. I have been on the program 3 times and I plan on more trips in the future.

Teaching English in China

I've never enjoyed living more than during the 6 months I lived in China. Dedicating my time to teaching my sweet students and helping them learn English was so fulfilling. I recommend this program to anyone and everyone who wants to teach abroad. Traveling around China and becoming comfortable in an unfamiliar environment was also a huge growing and learning experience for me.

Life changing experience!

I grew in so many aspects of my life I had no idea I needed. Every day was an adventure and there was free time and travel days very frequently. I love this program because it attracts my kind of people; Adventurous, down to earth, and fun people who value traveling and I know will be friends for life. I was able to backpack to 5 different countries after my semester with ILP.

Love with all my heart...

ILP seriously was one of the greatest opportunities I've ever participated in; which is a bit ironic considering I went there to serve others, but I feel like I ended up getting the most in return.
I went to China with ILP, and honestly I've thought about my experiences there every day since my return. The whole 4 months changed me a lot! Most of my presumptions about China, and other countries in general--as I met quite a few people from all walks of life-- where wrong, challenged, or changed. There was no tour guide to tell us when to get up, what trains to take, where we could eat, where the nearest bathroom was, and I much preferred it that way. It really challenged my independence and decision making, as well as our groups ability to work together and remain positive. And I don't mean that to at all sound negative. Every experience was an adventure; whether we were getting lost, hiking in Yangshuo, or running for a bus/train. I wouldn't change anything about my time there.
From an academic perspective I learned a lot, but as an individual it felt more natural then just dumping information into your brain from a book so you can pass a test. It was an immersive experience, and I loved it all. The people where so helpful and kind every where we went, and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was!
There were hard days-- teaching kids can be a challenge-- but leaving them, all the friends I made, and China broke my heart. I truly fell in love with China, differences and all.
If you're questioning whether or not you want to travel, especially with ILP, just go! Jobs, school, etc, can wait; you may only get this chance once.

I love ILP!

ILP is such an amazing program! I always felt safe while abroad. They kept in contact with us the whole semester, and always made sure we were safe! I loved all the People I met and friends I made. But most of all I LOVE my students! I've been home for 4 months and I miss my students like crazy! If you go with ILP prepare to fall in love! Choosing to go to China with ILP was the best decision I've ever made!

China is a must!

This program is amazing. I was in Nanjing this past year and absolutely loved it. While there for six months, not only did I grow to love the country but I grew to love the kids I taught as well. Those kids are really what made the experience worth it. Through a change of heart, I've grown to love kids like never before. Aside from teaching though, ILP is great. They are so helpful and through them we were given tons of travel time. Through this program, you are placed with a certain number of other teachers who you will live with, and all of us became such good friends. You are immersed in the culture, we lived right outside of Nanjing which is huge. I highly recommend going through ILP to teach English, and if you do, go to CHINA!

#chinaforever

I volunteered in Nanjing, China for six months this past spring. I had no idea what to expect on the other side of the world, but ILP prepared me for the volunteer opportunity. I learned about the culture, food, people, and education. We were also offered awesome language, kungfu and art classes by fellow Chinese teachers. I gave my heart to teaching the students and found myself more and more in love with China! By the end, I didn't want to leave. China had just as much of impact on me as I did on it. I would recommend ILP to anyone, and I do, EVERYDAY! #chinaforever

Live and Volunteer abroad in Ukraine - amazing experience! Changed my life!

Serving abroad with International Language Programs (ILP) in Ukraine was honestly one of the best, most life-changing and eye-opening experiences of my life. I have volunteered abroad with ILP in Ukraine on two different semesters and the experiences and things I learned are worth every penny, worth the semester I took off school, and worth every amount of effort to get there. The program is very affordable! The program fee is only $2520 and includes airfare, housing, food, language and culture classes, training, and your visa! There is a great amount of support from the very beginning. There was always someone affiliated with ILP to help me with my questions, with the application process, departure, during my entire stay in Ukraine, and when I returned. There is an amazing amount of support which really makes a positive impact on the experience you have with ILP. Native city coordinators and native school coordinators were there with me in Ukraine or available 24/7. You are trained by ILP prior to departure and have continual training by a Head Teacher on how to teach English to kids, so you are never left hanging with problems or questions. Teaching the kids is so much fun and so rewarding! I know this is totally cliche, but I truly do feel like I learned more from teaching the kids than I ever taught them. Teaching kids English as a second language opens so many doors for them and allows them to have a brighter future. You are also able to contact ILP or the ILP directors back in the U.S. at any time.... seriously, any time! The native coordinators help you understand how to get around in your city (using the metro, buses, trams, routes, etc.) and help you feel comfortable in the area you live. I lived with a host family who are native to Ukraine. They are like my second family and it was an incredible experience to live with them and make those lifelong relationships. My host mom taught me to cook traditional Ukrainian cuisine, she took me on tours of the city, she and my host sister taught me Russian, I went on vacation with my host mom... they are the best and it made the experience so much more rich. With ILP you also volunteer in a group of American teachers who become your new friends and travel companions and live in the same area as you. Some of my best friends now are people I met while on the program. Everyone in the group agrees to abide by the same Code of Conduct which is put in place to keep you safe and to have an enjoyable time abroad. Many parents of the kids we taught mentioned they bring their kids to ILP schools because of the high standards we agree to live by. It really does make a difference. While abroad you also get time to travel. During my first semester in Ukraine I traveled all over Ukraine which was incredible and allowed me to see so much more of the culture and history of that great country. During my second semester I traveled throughout Eastern Europe: Budapest, Hungary; Vienna, Austria; Prague, Czech Republic; Dresden and Berlin, Germany; Krakow, Poland. I can honestly say my semesters abroad in Ukraine were some of the very best experiences of my life and helped me become who I am today. I am so grateful for the opportunity and so glad I went!

The Best Semesters of My Life!

I do not regret for a second the time that I've spent on ILP. I've gone three times (to Mexico and China twice), and am seriously considering another time. The students are amazing, the program is affordable, and the kids really do learn English. Many of the students that I taught spoke like natives!

Overall, fantastic program and would recommend it to anyone.

Teaching in Weihai, China

Overall, teaching English with ILP was a fantastic experience for me and I'd love to go again if I get the chance. For a relatively low cost, we were provided with food and a living space on the school campus. We spent about 4 hours with the kids, 5 days a week. That schedule gave us plenty of time to interact with them and to explore the city. We also received three vacations - two long weekends and one full week off - to travel anywhere within the country. The only complaint that I would have is that our living space was definitely less than ideal. We had a lot of problems with plumbing and the rooms were in pretty poor condition overall (although I believe that this was a problem specific to the school I worked with, rather than ILP).

China fever

I loved it in China, I am so excited to go back. There have man options on where you can travel and help out at. I decided on China, the down fall I had a hard time with the humidity in the summer and I kept getting colds. I loved the kids I got to teach and the teachers were all so welcoming to the school. We got to go and hang with other volunteers that were in the same program but different schools they were teaching at. Like I said I liked it so much I am going back one year after. Spring 2014 and in Fall 2014 I am going to I hope go to Russia and be a head teacher. I can't wait!