InterExchange participants InterExchange participants

School Teaching Assistant Italy

Teaching assistant Macerata, Italy

I cannot say enough good things about my experience in Italy. I have never been pushed so far outside my comfort zone, but it had payoffs in ways I never imagined. The Marche region is so beautiful and the staff at the Convitto school will always hold a very special place in my heart. I always felt cared for, valued, and loved by the students and staff. It pushed me to become a better educator and human being. If you are looking for an opportunity to learn about diversity, experiencing a beautiful culture, and tasting the most amazing food of your life while also building relationships that will last a lifetime then this is the experience for you!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Thanks for the review Linsey! I'd have to agree with you about the beauty of the Marche region. Incredible. And I'm especially glad you were pushed out of your comfort zone in a way that has paid off so richly! ~James (InterExchange)

Teaching Abroad in Italy

I truly loved my experience as an English teacher in Italy. I chose to live in a small town and was sent to an amazing city along the sea, Civitanova Marche. Marche is known for its beautiful country side. Moreover, the people there are just as amazing as the food, culture, and everything else. My host family was amazing and became my second family. As for the school, the students were so sweet and curious to learn. The teachers there helped me out, and I even became close with one of them. Teaching wasn't a job, but an adventure that I was excited to experience. Outside of the classroom and lesson planning, I made two great local Italians, both who are my good friends. We text on an almost-daily basis and maintain the friendship that we started. I am glad that I found such a great opportunity as this. I've grown so much as an individual and I would not take back this opportunity for anything.

If you seek family and friend oriented relationships, and appreciate food, culture and language, then the teach abroad program in Italy is definitely an option for you to consider!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 12:46 PM

So awesome to hear that you made some great Italian friends that you are keeping in touch with! Civitanova Marche is the real deal - glad you loved it as much as we do! ~James (InterExchange)

Marvelous Marche

Excellent placement in a beautiful part of Italy; surrounded by rolling hills and former hilltop garrisons-turned-towns. My host family was amicable, welcoming and loving, and I couldn't have asked for a better primary school. The students were relatively well behaved, wanted to learn, and the teachers tried hard to make me feel comfortable. My Italian dramatically improved (mostly because my host family spoke no English and most of my teachers neither), and I really got to experience daily life in Italy and Italian culture like never before. Not to mention Marche's proximity to amazing locations like Loreto, San Marino, Venice, and Bari. Would definitely reccommend this program to anyone with any level of teaching experience!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Thanks so much for the review and we're so glad you would recommend the program! Glad you got to travel a bit as well! ~James (InterExchange)

Best Italian work!

This was a magical experience. I would do it again if I had the time. The staff were very supportive, and the family was amazing. The culture is rich, and there are many opportunities to travel once you have been placed.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Thanks Nathan! Glad it all worked out so well with the school and family. Hopefully you'll keep in touch with your contacts there and have the chance to revisit before too long! ~James (InterExchange)

Best Experience of My Life

I am extremely happy that I decided to do this program. I have been back in the states for about 6 months and still think about my experience over there all the time. It truly let me see what it's like to live in another culture and has given me life-long friendships. I thoroughly enjoyed the Marche region—a little-known, gorgeous area of Italy. I could not have asked for a better school placement. I loved my school, the students, and the teachers. The students were respectful, ready and willing to learn; the teachers, who couldn't have been more supportive and nice, became dear friends. There were tears on my last day.
The only issue I had was my location. My school was in Fermo, but I lived in Campiglione, which is a little city at the bottom of the hill. I didn't actually live where I taught, so I had to commute by bus since the school was not within walking distance. The location was also inconvenient because the nearest train station is in Porto San Giorgio, about a 15-20 minute drive from Fermo/Campiglione. I took the bus to the station when I could; however, the bus schedule to and from the station on weekends was a bit rough, so I was compelled to rely on my host family for rides when they were able.
I loved my host family. They were very kind people and tried to make my experience memorable; however, I'm not sure if they were completely ready for something like this considering personal issues they had going on at the time. This could have been better researched by InterExchange. But overall, I look back on everything with overwhelming fondness.
The country of Italy is beautiful, every inch of it, and the people are warm, generous, and full of life. Take advantage of this opportunity to see as much of it as you can! If you're seriously contemplating this program, I encourage you to just do it! You will learn so much about others, but also about yourself. You absolutely will not regret the memories you make, the intercultural and education experience you gain, the people you meet, and the places you see. This is truly the experience of a lifetime.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Thank you for this feedback Jaclyn. We're glad everything worked out and that you embraced the challenges that arose! Hope you've been able to build upon this experience in your subsequent endeavors and that you look back on the experience with lots of happy memories! ~James (InterExchange)