InterExchange participants InterExchange participants

Conversation Coach in Italy

When in Asti....

I loved this program and everyday thank InterExchange for giving me this opportunity. I was placed in Cita de Asti, which is between Torino (45 minute train) and Milano (75 minute train). The family I was placed in was so kind and provided me everything I expected and more. Italy was so beautiful and learning the language was a nice plus because most non-tourist places are really nice to you. Also who wouldn't love living next to Alba, the city that created Nutella! This experience was nothing short of amazing. I got to explore Italy, gained experience and mad everlasting bonds. Thank gosh i threw 1 euro in the Fontana de Trevi because I surely will be returning back. Just a little advice! Get to know Italo/ Triene Italia real fast and cities like Firenze and Torino, to me, were way more exciting then Roma and Milano because I had no expectations compared to the others!!!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Thanks Jennifer! These are good tips and it's nice to know you'll be returning - don't forget (the Fontana di Trevi will remember)! ~James (InterExchange)

Best. Decision. Ever!

I had an ABSOLUTE blast! My family that I was placed with were incredible! They had 2 teenage daughters and I basically hung out with them and their friends the whole time! They were all amazing! We got along SO well! The food was amazing, the people were so kind and welcoming, I LOVED being in Civitanova! I couldn't be more grateful for the kindness and generosity of my host family! I'm hoping to raise money and visit them again next year! I HIGHLY recommend the conversation coach program and I'm so glad I took the leap of faith to go! I was able to find transportation to my church each Sunday and travel and visit Rome for my birthday! The only challenge was not really having any guidance on what to teach my girls. They had a few games online. But my girls were older and much more advanced so I wasn't sure what to teach them. Plus the previous tutors in the program knly taught younger children so they didn't have any experience teaching advanced lessons either. But luckily my family was super patient with me and I feel I helped make a difference :)

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Thanks Rebekah! We're happy you feel it was the right decision and grateful for the energy you brought to the program.

I would note that we've developed some extensive tutoring resources for participants that we're happy to share with all participants. It seems you were able to provide a great experience for the host family children nonetheless, and I'm glad you had the chance to join them in Rome for your birthday!

We appreciate the review!

Conversation Coach

I had an unforgettable time during my placement in Rome. I was hosted by an extremely nice and generous family. I taught an 8 year old girl, a 9 year old boy, and an 11 year old girl for an hour each per day. I had the weekends free to travel, and oftentimes my host family invited me along with them :) It was an amazing experience!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Thanks for the energy you brought to the experience for all of the host family children! We're so glad it worked out well for you in Rome and that you had time to travel! ~James (InterExchange)

Teaching English to young children

I lived in a condo owned by my host family which was located next door to their condo. I taught a 3&4 year old girl and boy English from 3-9 nightly. And weekends I traveled. While the children were difficult to teach, it was a great experience to be surrounded by Italian culture.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Thank you for embracing the challenge of tutoring for young children and thank you for the great review! We're glad you enjoyed the experience!

• Teacher Support

My time as a conversation coach

I had a wonderful experience with interexchange! All the coordinators are very helpful and flexible, and really helped me out when I was having troubles. This is such a great way to see another part of the world in a way that you cannot get from mere travel. You get to live the day to day life of a family in another country, and the experience is such a rewarding one. I highly recommend this to someone who is not a professional teacher, nor are they looking for a very long term commitment.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Thank you Francesca, for your thoughts! This is indeed a good option for those seeking a less formal commitment to tutoring, and who may have experience working with young people but not teaching experience specifically. I'm glad it all worked out for you and I hope everything continues to go well! ~James (InterExchange)