Intercultura Costa Rica participants Intercultura Costa Rica participants

Spanish Immersion Programs - Beachfront and city locations

Get ready to keep a permanent smile on your face!

I have never studied abroad before in my life, so getting the opportunity to go to Intercultura as my first experience was the greatest treat. The program was set up very wonderfully ! The teachers made the classes as much fun as possible with activities in the park, group improvisation, and games to improve our vocabulary and speaking skills. The weekend excursions were also amazing! I did so many new things that I will always remember. Getting to go zip-lining, rafting, and seeing monkeys all in one month? Can't beat that! Overall, I would do to this program every year if I had the time!

• The Campus

Fantastic Immersion Experience in BOTH locations!!

I had the good fortune of traveling in Costa Rica during the green season and was able to spend one week with a host family while studying at Intercultura in Heredia and two weeks with a host family while studying at Intercultura in Samara. I had very little Spanish prior to starting the immersion program and felt comfortable, by the end of the first week, having a simple conversation with my host family (with the help of a Spanish dictionary and their endless patience). By the end of the three weeks, I felt more at ease attempting conversations with the locals while out and about. Both Heredia and Samara are great locations...Heredia offers the feel of a bigger city while still being small enough to explore mostly on foot, while Samara offers the quintessential beach and surf experience. If you have the opportunity to do an immersion program, I would highly recommend Intercultura!

Two weeks at Playa Samara

I spent two weeks in the Spanish immersion program this summer. I brought my mother-in-law, my 10-year-old daughter, and a 16-year-old friend of the family. We all stayed together in a house with a lovely, welcoming hostess. The classes were very informative on both language and cultural aspects, and the teachers sharp, well prepared, and helpful. The administration was exceptionally helpful and friendly. The price for the schooling and the home-stay were very reasonable. The town is small but with good restaurants and enough fun things to do. The school offers weekend excursions which are outstanding - our group of 12 people from 6 countries, ranging in age from 10 to 70, went on unforgettable adventures one weekend to hot springs, a waterfall, a cloud forest night walk, zip-lining through the canopy, and more! I have previously done a Spanish immersion program in Guatemala, which was also excellent, but this was more social and better organized. One of the students did have a backpack stolen at a beach while I was there, so do follow the common sense guidelines for protecting yourself, which of course you must do everywhere in the world. I did not feel unsafe, even with my daughter. I didn't visit the Heredia campus at all, so I can't comment. I highly recommend Intercultura for learning Spanish and a bit of Tican culture. If you go, book an excursion early in your trip to make friends with other students quickly, and definitely do the homestay to have a more complete experience.

Week long Spanish course - Heredia

Before going to Intercultura, I hadn't spoken a word of Spanish. At the end of the week I was talking to my host family and although my Spanish wasn't perfect (obviously) it was MUCH easier to communicate. The lessons were extremely helpful, and the teacher was fantastic. I thought the lessons were the right balance of fun and hard work, and I was put in a class which perfectly suited my level and challenged me.

I loved the excursions, which included nights out in San Jose, and staying with my lovely host family was amazing and we are still in contact.

I couldn't recommend Intercultura more.

Three times in Intercultural - Samara

Since three years I spent fews weeks in Samara school . This place is look like a family for me ! All the staff (professors, administration, etc.) are always cheerful , friendly and above all always available to assist our stay. Moreover , the teachers are very nice but demanding at the courses, which is essential. I noticed that for three years the obligation to speak only Spanish on the school's site is better monitored and frequent reminders are made by the school staff . This attitude, and in my opinion is essential.
The residence in families is in my opinion the avenue to focus and really complete training at school. However, in discussion with several students , the quality of living in families can be very variable. Some were very disappointed but against others ( like me!) were delighted . I think there should be a little tighter as the exigeances given to families hosting students.
It would also be appropriate in my opinion than older students (like me !!) have access to families where comfort is a bit higher . The standards are a bit different for a person of 18 years for a person 55 years !
It might be interesting that the school plans to offer one or more courses focused primarily on the needs of travelers in countries where Spanish is used. Less focus on grammar and verb tenses , these courses allow participants to better manage in Spanish while traveling . Would focus on vocabulary words and common expressions used in travel. I think there will be in the coming years more and more older people who want to learn Spanish in a school like Intercultura and believe that offering really focused on the Spanish language to use during a trip, would an asset for school.
Another point that deserves to be analyzed by the school and that my opinion is shared concerns having in the same class young students and much older students. At first glance I would say it is very interesting to mix the age levels in the same way but also I realize that older students do not necessarily have the same ease and even learning speed. I have no solution to propose but I consider that it is a reality that I lived through my three visits to Samara.
Finally, consider the experience to Intercultura is really very positive. In my case , it's not easy, however to practice the Spanish language throughout the year but possibly it will give me the opportunity to return more often at Intercultura in Samara !!!
Paquito

First class!

An awesome experience, great location on the beach, very well thought out/organized in all aspects, excellent teacher and overall truly memorable.

Not only did this one week immersion yield great results, it more importantly inspired the motivation to come back next year fully fluent ( or close ) and ready to take things to another level. I've eagerly studied every day (3 months) since returning home and look forward to coming back for two weeks next year.

¡Pura Vida!