1-2 weeks, 2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
- Help care for Asian elephants in the only elephant haven on the island
- Learn about elephants and elephant management skills
- Experience the culture, learn to cook a curry and get to know local people
- Support local underprivileged children by teaching English
- Work on an Eco farm producing fruit and vegetables
This project is unique in Sri Lanka, only volunteers are able to visit this private elephant haven. The elephants have been bought to the haven for many reasons but mainly to take them away from the tourist elephant back riding business. You have the opportunity to help Sri Lankan mahouts look after their elephants and give them a better life. As well as a hands-on experience you will also be taught lots of interesting information about the worlds' largest land mammal. Three afternoons a week, you'll support local underprivileged children by teaching English and other useful skills.
We understand that when you are volunteering all week you want to relax and have some fun at weekends. We also appreciate that when you come to Sri Lanka to volunteer you should not have to pay 'tourist' prices for everything you do. We have identified some of the most popular activities that are feasible to reach from our location for a weekend. We have found some of the best accommodation and activities and negotiated really good volunteer rates and sorted out transport. All you need to do is tell us which weekend you want to do when!
The project is located in Mirigama surrounded by lovely views of lush jungle and rice paddy fields. The local area is full of very friendly people and is a very relaxed area of Sri Lanka. Nearby we have shops, ATMs, bus station and a train station. We are very well located for further exploration of Sri Lanka and are only 45mins to the airport so not long till you meet your elephant after you land!
Just a love of Animal,wildlife, working outdoors and flexible in approach. Willing to work in a hot place!!
See website for latest offers
- Project experience as described
- On site English speaking project coordinator making sure you get the best experience
- 24 x 7 x 365 emergency helpline & accommodation security
- Airport pick up and drop off any time of the day or night
- Shared, comfortable accommodation with fan and mosquito net
- Volunteer café with TV, free WIFI, small library, games, swimming pool
- 3 meals a day Monday to Friday - a mix of Sri Lankan and Western meals
- Access to a washing machine with detergent provided
- Transport for project related activities
- Inspire volunteer discounts scheme at local attractions and shopping
- A Sim card for your mobile pre populated with key numbers
- Opportunity to attend Perahera if your elephant is participating
- Volunteer T-shirt and wrist band
- Certificate of participation
Hands-on, fun, lots of humour, willing to learn and enjoy other cultures.
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Independently or in Groups
To send groups of people to Kenya and Sri Lanka to contribute to the people and culture in a productive and meaningful way.