ImpacTrip - Volunteer Experiences in Portugal Header Image ImpacTrip - Volunteer Experiences in Portugal Header Image

International Volunteer Experience in Porto and/or Lisbon

Voluntourism in Portugal

This was an amazing experience. In terms of the volunteering, ReFood is such a well-oiled volunteer machine, its revolutionary concept and administration will have you wondering why this program hasn't been implemented globally. In terms of the tourism, Impactrip is the best! The Impactrip leaders were so down-to-earth, and very helpful. They are always there to answer any questions, and help you see and experience the best of Portugal. The accommodations are wonderful, right in the heart of Estrela - and the food is always fresh and available. Overall, I would recommend this trip with this organization to anyone and everyone! The people, the food, the culture,

Youth support volunteering in Lisbon

I spent 4 weeks volunteering with Impactrip and my time flew by!

I was volunteering in the youth support programme where I was allowed to help volunteer with the children throughout the week from the morning till after lunch time leaving my afternoons free to go to the beach or go exploring.

The city of Lisbon is very easy to travel around using the trains which do not cost a lot when you purchase the travel card!

I stayed in a volunteer house with up to 11 other volunteers and I was able to share a room with other volunteers of the same gender who were luckily around a similar age.

Most of the volunteers were between 18-24 years old so it's great for young people to make some friends from all around the world!

Compared to other volunteer programmes the Impactrip team are very friendly and helpful with all your needs!
I would recommend this organisation as they do their very best to make you feel welcome in their country and will help you in any way they can!

I loved my time there and hopefully others will go and see how fulfilling this experience truly is!

Don't think...Just DO IT!!!

Off the plane and into a city filled of wonders. The staff Rita and Diogo were very helpful in greeting me initially when I arrived at the airport and getting me to my accommodation. I spoke absolutely no Portuguese so I was worried if I would have trouble getting around in the country. They made me feel extremely comfortable and answered any questions that I might have had during my stay putting my mind at ease. The project I was working on was food distribution. The staff who were at the ReFood center were very nice and caring individuals passionate about what they did! It was a pleasure to be have been able to work among such friendly locals! We were also able to have enough time to take many wonderful day trips around the city. The program coordinators went above and beyond to show us the loveliest, most interesting parts around town and explain the history behind them. Was the perfect balance of volunteering at the project site, and still getting to be a tourist in the wonderful city of Lisbon. It is a very vibrant city with something to do for everyone. Getting to work with the other volunteers, meet with locals, and immerse in Portuguese culture was truly invaluable. An experience I will not soon forget and would recommend to anyone thinking of trying it.

My ImpacTrip in Portugal!!

I volunteered in Portugal for a week last summer with my sisters working on the food rescue project in Lisbon. This was such an eye opening experience for me and I loved being a part of the amazing project that the local community has committed themselves to. The tasks that you assist with during your volunteer hours include organizing bags of food for families in need, handing out the bags to the families, washing dishes, and sometimes making trips to the grocery store to pick up food that would otherwise be thrown away (Which by the way was an unbelievable amount of food! SO grateful for all of the people who dedicate their time to this!). The organizer coordinators, Rita and Diogo were very accommodating and are so much fun to be around. You two are doing an amazing job and my sisters and I are so thankful for everything that you continually do for the volunteers! Anybody looking into volunteering in Lisbon with ImpacTrip do not forget to check out the day trip/tour adventures that Rita and Diogo offer (Beaches, Wineries, Castles)! Portugal is so beautiful and they provide ways for you to see much more of it than you normally would on your own time. We will definitely be seeing you two back in Portugal! Thank you ImpacTrip for the entire experience.

Excellent experience in Lisbon

I did food rescue project with my boyfriend. We did job in the morning, and explored the city in the afternoon. The job is not hard, but you need to be more patient. People there are really nice, and they gave us a lot advice about travelling Lisbon. Rita and Diogo provided volunteers with some interesting activities, which helped us know more about the city. That is really a good experience!

Lisbon experience

Great experience, incredible life changing impact working with special needs clients!! The people I met were amazing both in the program and working at the client. Rita and Diogo did a great job organizing it and providing activities!

Amazing experience: food rescue

I had the most amazing time in Portugal. Volunteering at the food rescue project made me realize how little things can make a difference. People were very warm and welcoming, and it was a very fruitful experience. It also allowed me to grow on a personal level. I would do it again and encourage everyone not to miss such an experience.

Re-Food Estrela; Impactrip is amazing!

From the moment I arrived in Lisbon I was warmly greeted by both Diogo and Rita. That first interaction allowed me to know that I was in great hands. I was volunteering in the neighborhood called Estrela which is an amazing part of the city with great food and beautiful jardims (gardens/parks) around every corner. The project I was working on was the food rescue at a food bank very close to the accommodation. The day I began I knew I was in for an amazing experience where I would truly make an impact in the community. Even though the first week was a little difficult to adapt to, it quickly became natural. I would help with various task from, organizing bags of food for people, handing out the food to the people when they arrive, washing dishes and even making deliveries to people who cannot access the bank. It was absolutely amazing to see the gratification and appreciation of the people who received the food. There were definitely some interesting characters. As for the staff they were simply delightful, many of the locals who volunteered there quickly became great friends. I even began to pick up some Portuguese. Ultimately, I highly recommend working with Impactrip to create a unique and meaningful experience not only for yourself but for others as well. Rita and Diogo are amazing people and more so amazing friends! They are highly hospitable and do everything they can to make sure your are enjoying your time in Portugal. Thank you so much to the both of you! See you next time! Ate proxima!!

Great experiences for the refood program

I've been to Lisbon this summer for the refood program and was excited to be the first Chinese volunteer in Lisbon. Hope in the future more Chinese people will join this program. At the moment you arrive there you will find that you are so welcomed by a lovely girl Rita and a optimistic gentlemen Diogo
This is a meaningful program. People like us never experience starvation, and what troubles us everyday is which kind of bags I would buy or which restaurant I would go tonight. However, there are lots of people in this world have no food in their life. Therefore we should stand out and help those people get out of it.
The work itself is not busy, I was working the morning shift and it usually finished at 2:00 pm. Therefore you are free for the rest of your day and can travel around and experience different culture.
Trust me you will definitely have a memorable experience here.

The refood project (Estrela center) in Lisbon, Portugal. (Greetings to Impactrip) :)

Current people in their easy going life be like: i need this and still need that , i want to buy these and those,... However they don't see that not very far from them, human beings are trying to survive because they don't have even water do drink, or food to eat and mostly they don't even complain about it. They are just waiting for someone to help them, to give them the right of being alive and being healthy, they are waiting for humanity to save them. So ,as humans we should reply their simple request, and give them what they actually need :food. That's when great people reunited and created the Refood project, located in Lisbon. Their idea is so easy that everyone could do that: they take food from the supermarket which is still good for the consumers from the day before (that without this NGO this food would go to trash) and give it to needy people.

It was an honour being part of this project, for giving me an amazing opportunity to help the neediest directly, and meeting at the same time extraordinary people.

When you see people saying to you (« obrigado » which means « thank you » in portuguese) or just smiling to you, this is an unbelievable feeling that I will never forget. Hope the next volunteers will enjoy this project as I did, and Bom dia for everyone !!:)

Incredible experience!

I had an incredible time with ImpactTrip! It was wonderful working with the children at the program and getting to know the other volunteers. Rita and Diogo are very welcoming and created such a lovely and warm atmosphere. If you are thinking about volunteering, just do it! You won’t be disappointed!

First volunteer experience

I have never traveled without my family before this experience so I was quite scared even though I was bursting with excitement. When the IMPACT team met me at the airport all my fear evaporated. They were just so friendly and welcoming! They were there to help every step of the way. All the other volunteers were extremely nice and it was easy to make friends. I had a blast and I wish I could have stayed longer. It is an amazing feeling to be working with a group of people to help others and to try to make a change.

Lisbon is a gorgeous city full of culture and history. It is a perfect choice for volunteering abroad. I can't wait for the opportunity to visit again!

Diving and helping out the locals

Had a great experience with Impactrip this past March. Loved lending a hand to have an impact on the place I was visiting. Met a lot of locals, and learned some essential skills that I used when I got home. Quite the experience!!!

Volunteer adventure with Vencer Autismo in Porto

From the moment I made enquiries about the possibility of volunteer work in Porto, I felt I was supported to pursue my dream. I was contacted by Rita Marques from ImpacTrip and immediately felt comfortable.
They organized a program suitable for my needs and constantly kept in touch with me.
I arrived in Porto to the smiles of Rita and Diogo Areosa. They took me to my new home for the next 10 days and showed me a short presentation of the work that ImpacTrip do. I was then taken to meet Sarah from Vencer Autismo, where I would be doing some volunteer work. More smiles. Then after a quick supermarket shop for some basic groceries, I was driven back to my flat and left to settle in.
The days that followed were exciting, emotional, educational and fun.
On my first day, I enjoyed an amazing full day tour around the Douro Valley. Our lovely tour guide told us about all the history around this breathtaking area as we soaked in the magnificent views. The scenery and the friendly welcome at each winery was beautiful.
I also enjoyed an Eco friendly Tuk-Tuk ride around old Porto City. The history and architecture explained to me as we stopped off to walk around and have a closer look.
In between my tours, I was welcomed each day to take part in some volunteer hours with Vencer Autismo. I may only have worked with the lovely staff and children for a few days, but I left feeling I had made some beautiful new friends to take back home with me to Scotland.
I would definitely recommend a wee adventure with the friendly help from ImpacTrip. They will talk through all your options and support you all the way.
Thank you to Rita, Diogo, Sara and all the lovely staff and children from Vencer Autismo. I left feeling so much a part of this beautiful community.

Muito Obrigada