OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Teach & Travel China Program: TEFL in China

View detailed rating

Ended staying for a year!

I joined this programme initially for one semester but ended up staying for the full year. The support received by the team in Beijing was second to none. The school they placed me in was excellent, the facilities and help provided really made my stay in China an enjoyable one. Right from the beginning I found the service provided first rate, the week long orientation helped me to settle in and prepared me for everything very well. Throughout my stay TTC were on hand to help deal with any problems or even just to advise me what to see when travelling!

I would highly recommend this programme to anyone wishing to start their TEFL career, whether they plan on staying in China long term or just using it to gain experience. As for teaching and living in China, it was the best move I ever made. After the initial culture shock I settled into life very quickly, the people are warm and friendly and with all the holidays through the year there was ample time to travel and see all the wonderful sights the country has to offer. The added bonus of doing this TTC programme is of course that you are never truly alone, and you will meet many new friends, most of whom I am still in touch with now.

Go on, take the leap, I promise you will not regret it!!

View detailed rating

Gave me an awesome experience

Teach and Travel China (TTC) gave me the opportunity to have an awesome experience and one that I found unique and intriguing. I was in North East China, which I knew nothing about and i enjoyed it immensely. I made great (lifelong) friends who I will stay in touch with for the rest of my life. I taught Senior High, really cool, when you have 50 kids re-enacting 'Robin Hood' you know you have a great job!

You have to see the Great Wall, Terracotta Warriors and (if you are luck enough to be here at the time) the Harbin Ice Festival! Once in a lifetime sights! 100% recommend it as a great introduction into China.

Incredibly well detailed

I travelled to China at the start of 2010 not really knowing much about china and more than a bit panicked over what i was going to do when i got there. However there was nothing to be worried about at all, from the outset IES Global did everything in their power to make our stay as brilliant as possible. Any worries you had or problems you could just tell them and it would be almost instantly sorted out. The TEFL qualification we gained gave us the ability to deal with any problems we encountered in the classroom, and for only a months worth of training was incredibly well detailed.

I've now had two teaching intern placements all organised by IES Global and have had no problems with them. Each placement has been amazing and the program itself has not only given me a chance to see China, but also meet some amazing people who are now friends for life.

I would definitely say to anyone who was unsure to just go for it, there is nothing to worry about and you really will have the time of your lives.

Be open-minded as possible

So far, I have gained a lot of self confidence from the ImmerQi program, not to mention met some amazing people and generally just having a great time. ImmerQi provided me with a lot of support to make it as problem-free and enjoyable as possible.

After being here a while, I now know that it really takes a lot to get things running smoothly in China and I would have been completely lost without them! The teaching is great; I have learnt a lot more about working with young people, meeting and moulding to the culture here.

My biggest piece of advice is to keep your mind as open as possible, and be ready for knocks and shocks because you will get them. But, at the end of the day, they make the experience all the more interesting, and it definitely makes for brilliant stories back at home. Be patient with the culture and the people here, they are more helpful than necessary sometimes, but they always mean well and are amazing fun if you go with the flow.

Crazy wonderful!

After feeling a little bored with my usual life back home, I came across the ImmerQi and was automatically intrigued by what I saw. Feeling a little apprehensive and nervous I booked the TEFL course and began my journey.

The on-line course was intense, but brought me back to my school days and also refreshed my knowledge. Now using that knowledge here in China to teach these wonderful children was worth all the hours I put in.

The feeling of satisfaction when a child in the classroom gives you that look of totally understanding what you are telling them is very fulfilling. It can be tough sometimes but it wouldn't be a worthwhile challenge if it was too easy.

China in itself is a crazy but wonderful and beautiful country. I have had the pleasure of visiting some wonderful cities and meeting some wonderful people. All the people here are very friendly and they make the experience even more special. Being stared at is not uncommon and the constant Hello's to strangers will leave you parched.

The ImmerQi staff have been amazing and are always on hand for any issues or questions I have had. I have made some lifelong friends here whom I met during the orientation week in Beijing. Being here now has made me realise there was nothing to be afraid of and I know after this amazing journey I will never be that afraid of anything again. If you're considering doing it, stop considering and get it booked!

View detailed rating

Indescribably exciting...so I came back!

I originally came to China in 2008, the Olympic year. Along with the usual attraction of the Far East it also promised something unique. It was the coming out party for one of the world's largest and least understood nations, it was indescribably exciting and there was a palpable atmosphere, to me at least. Beijing was the place to be! (I taught at a middle school in a village just outside of Beijing and was fortunate enough to have a timetable that allowed me to have long weekends off. I made the most of it. Trips near and far, trains and planes filled the months leading up to Christmas. For me the teaching was good, but seeing China was great. North, South, East and West, all had a different delight to offer. Each left me wanting to explore that little bit more. It was like having Europe, Africa or the Americas as my canvas, China is so vast and there is so much to see I wanted to see it all in one go but sadly time did not allow. (After spending New Year in Hong Kong, I returned to England where I went back to a more traditional way of life, a typical 9-5 office job in a bland cubicle of a generic office building situated in a nondescript business park. It became apparent very soon that China had left an impression.

Fashions, customs, social interactions, foods and even restroom facilities and functions are all very different. When visiting a foreign country how much do we really consider about the possibility of this difference. I know for me, what annoyed me at the time, after a week back home only endeared me to the experience and called for me to return. So I did. (Now back in China, I plan to stay at least another year and I am currently working for IES Global, the company behind the Teach and Travel China program, which first brought me to begin my China adventure in 2008.

Working as a Project Coordinator for the company I now look after and advise participants on a daily basis and help them to overcome and settle into this fascinating and unique country. It's great to be able to now share my own past experiences of life in China with new people each semester as well as creating whole new experiences for myself

View detailed rating

The course was pretty intense

Through ImmerQi I've had the opportunity to experience China for 8 months. It's been a great time. I've learned a lot about the country and it's people, but also about myself.

In February I did the TEFL-course in Beijing. It was a good opportunity to meet people from all over Europe. The course was pretty intense, but there was enough time to explore the city as well. Visiting the Great Wall, celebrating Chinese New Year, shopping at the silk market, it was all worthwhile.

In my opinion the true China experience didn't start until we were moving to the schools though. I would be teaching at a kindergarten in Fujian province down south and luckily my roommates from Beijing were placed in the same school. Again it was an amazing experience, especially because we were part of Chinese society now.

You can visit as many tourist sites as you want but it will never give you the experience that living and working in China will. As a foreigner you're something special in a good way and the people were all very nice to us. In no time I made lots of friends, foreign as well as Chinese.

Working as a teacher opened my eyes to a lot of things. Especially with small children (I taught 6-7 year old) it takes a lot of energy and creativity. If you're having a bad day it can be a real hassle, but when a lesson works well and the kids are into it, it's very satisfying. I really got attached to the children and the Chinese teachers I worked with were very helpful. In the end I had a really hard time saying goodbye.

One thing about China I really had to get used to was the way they organize things. Long term planning simply doesn't exist. You really need to be flexible. No way will the school tell you things in advance. Also if you need to get something done don't expect them to handle it right away. Staying patient and flexible are traits I got to work on a lot.

All in all it was an amazing experience I will remember the rest of my life. I'm grateful ImmerQi helped us through the first weeks to make the transition a little smoother. I've seen lots of beautiful temples, climbed mountains, trained kung fu with Shaolin monks, competed on a television show, but most important of all I've met many wonderful people and I really hope I can go back one day!

View detailed rating

A great way to live and immerse

I came to China to do something a bit different, to kill my boredom that was my life back in Australia, to learn about a culture and have some fun teaching English at the same time. Nothing could have prepared me for the amazing, fun, quirky and off beat roller coaster ride living and teaching in China has been.

There's nothing quite like getting a true Chinese food baptism of fire from the school cafeteria serving up some delicious foods, some downright strange foods and some foods I would not bother going back for seconds let alone eating ever again. There's nothing like walking down the school corridors to a chorus of excited Chinese kids screaming Hello at you as if you were some kind of Rock star! There's nothing like miming your way through conversations and realising that it's not important so much what is said but that you're both still smiling or better yet laughing at the language barrier predicament you're both in.

Teaching English in China is not only a great way to fund your travels but also a great way to live and immerse yourself in the Chinese lifestyle. Simply there's nothing quite like the experience you will get living and teaching in China. China is the place to be!

View detailed rating

An exciting and adventurous journey

Travelling in China has proven to be an exciting and adventurous journey, and I was glad to have the Teach & Travel China program there at the beginning to give me an introduction to the Chinese culture.

Not only is China a great place to travel, but it is also a great starting point for anybody who wishes to experience teaching English abroad. In my experience, the school I joined was helpful in providing sufficient housing and the international office was always easy to reach for assistance.

I also liked that I had the freedom to practice different teaching methods in the classroom. The best advice for any new teacher in China is to get involved with your school, keep an open mind, and try to keep a positive attitude with every situation you have to face.

I've met many life-long friends through the program, and it's also been beneficial to have the ImmerQi there to answer all of my questions throughout my stay. Truly is a great way to teach and travel China!

It's all incredible

I came to China to get a real image of a country I knew nothing about. I really wanted to avoid the tourist trips in a hurried two week stop off on an oriental tour. Teach & Travel China offered the best way of doing this.

It's really not the China I was expecting, not the Kung Fu Panda scene of idyllic villages and ox drawn karts but mental buses, deep fried Sea Horse and friendly taxi drivers who take the Highway Code as a bit more of a guide. That's not to say the idyllic villages don't exist, you just have to find them. There's so much to explore it's impossible to settle into a routine.

There's this impulse to get out for the weekends and take the train down to Sichuan or Hong Kong. Every province, almost every town has a really distinct feel to it, the good bits and the bad. The people you meet really make the trip too. There's already a plan to go on a train journey around China for a couple of months with some of the people from the program. It's not just the other teachers either. The students at our placement are always friendly and we constantly get cheery shouts of hello or invitations to their houses, out for meals or to join games of basketball.

It's a totally different culture, and it's all incredible. Of course you have to be open-minded, but if you can manage that, the whole experience will be one of the best you will ever have.

Truly fantastic!

The TTC staff, as well as being a truly fantastic bunch of people, put themselves out to help you when you have a problem. They are very accommodating and I'm glad I had that support behind me.

My school was incredible and if I could take it home with me, I would! The teachers were extremely friendly and the students are affectionate and inquisitive. Everybody wants to be your friend and learn English from you.

Two students have even told me that I should live in China permanently instead of going home. Living in China certainly tests you sometimes; plans change last minute, often without an explanation; it can be especially frustrating when others shrug everything off saying 'That's China ' but it's just a case of accepting the Chinese way of life and rolling with it. It's a fun ride.

The whole experience has been made of both good and bad parts but when things go wrong, it only adds character and priceless memories. Overall, it has been absolutely amazing. Teaching in China was not what I had intended doing with my gap year, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Exceptional!

Teach and Travel China (TTC) has been the most exceptional experience of my life so far. I went from being a typical 18 year old in Essex, to a kindergarten teacher that the kids love. I have never been happier working and I wake up every morning ready to handle the children (with or without lesson plans).

This experience has set me up for university because I was tackling the challenges of living away from home head on. Although I felt scared and really homesick at the beginning, now I am in love with China and I cannot think of leaving. It's the trip of endless possibilities, just go for it, come here with an open mind and you'll have the experience of a lifetime.

Incredible!

I was back at home feeling bored and decided I wanted to do something interesting and exciting. China had a lot of appeal to me and the Teach & Travel China program sounded perfect for my situation. When I got here I didn't know what to expect but that anxiety was quickly extinguished.

The ImmerQi staff was incredibly helpful, I met some great friends from both China and overseas and thoroughly enjoyed my placement where I got to teach a bunch of enthusiastic kids.

To properly see another part of the world, experience the culture and its people and considering the skills and memories I got to take away, the program truly was worth every penny I spent.

View detailed rating

One of the best decisions I've made!

China is amazing, but even better if for some time you can really be part of it. I decided to go to China although I wasn't really sure. Looking back it is one of the best decisions I ever made. Comparing different cultures is great, I learned a lot about the eastern cultures and about my own.

I was placed at a kindergarten, and although it wasn't my first choice it was fun every day and I'm still amazed by my students level of English. The students in the kindergarten pick up new English words very quickly and they love having English classes with a foreign teacher. For my classes I used a lot of songs and flash cards to teach them new English.

ImmerQi even helped me with a part-time job so I could teach adults in the evening. I still talk/email every week with people all over the world who I met during my Teach and Travel program, and made friends for life.

I'm not sure I'm going to use my TEFL ever again, but the skills I picked up, the confidence I gained and having it on my CV can only be a good thing.

Highly recommended

I would recommend TTC to anyone, of any age, who wants to completely change their life for the better, but have the comfort of knowing that someone will be there to look out for them. Moving to a different country can be extremely scary, but TTC made every step easy to understand and were always happy to answer any questions or concerns I had - whether in preparation at home or once arrived in China. My time in China has been one of the biggest adventures of my life and it's thanks to TTC that I feel comfortable enough to take on any challenge I'm faced with.

View detailed rating

One amazing experience after another

I've been here for 5 months now and it has been one amazing experience after another. From the training in Beijing and the amazing history there to getting to my school and meeting all the kids for the first time, I've been getting involved in the local English corner which has led me to meet some fascinating and helpful people that will offer to be your guide at the many historic sites and cultural attractions where ever you are based. I came to China for the experience to help me get a teaching job back at home and to have a chance to earn money whilst I travel around one of the world s oldest surviving people. TTC has been great for this with plenty of time to go travelling and helpful staff to work out any issues with the school etc.
It hasn't been all great! There have been days when I've just wanted to be back at home in my own bed with some real western food! But you are placed with another intern that will help you get through the hard times. Between my partner and the TTC team everything has been worked out and I am looking forward to future teaching in China!

Congratulations on deciding to join the program because i know you are going to have a wonderful time!!!!

Simply Great!

I was placed in the Chengdu area, and it is simply great. The vibe and the people are great, and it is said to be the area with China's most beautiful women! In China, there is something to do everyday, from sightseeing to trying to get understood by the locals. TTC will help you if you have any issues, either with the school or the accommodations, to make sure that you do not have to worry about anything and be able to focus on your lessons. All in all, I've been seduced by the Asian lifestyle and can't see time go by. Thank you TTC!

An incredible experience

The TTC program is an incredible experience, you meet new people, make new friends, discover a new place, but most important of all, you learn new skills.

This program offers a good balance between working and travelling, teaching Chinese students is a tough challenge but a rewarding experience despite all the difficulties. If it was possible I would do this all again, the people you meet on this program, some will be friends for life and others will teach you something new and definitely valuable.

Cannot compare!

I should begin by saying that I have enjoyed my experience so much that I have decided to stay on longer and would gladly spend the rest of my days in this wonderful country. It is THAT good, and I shall send most of my thanks to TTC. Without them I would never have had the confidence (let alone the knowledge and know-how) to take a trip half away across the world, leaving everything I knew and loved in the UK. But now I have found new things and people to know and love. The TTC introductory two week period specifically was fantastic. I met countless people and made new friends that are guaranteed to last a life time and fell in love with a country that is overflowing with culture and beauty.

TTC helped me every step of the way, whether it was advice on how to deal with problems at my placement, future opportunities in China or simply where the good bars were! The staff are friendly and professional and will go above and beyond in attempts to make the interns feel more comfortable and secure.

I can't help but imagine what my life would be like had I not applied for the internship. It certainly does not compare!

• Program Location

• Placement

ToLoveToLive in China!

We've been placed in Wuxi in the Jiangsu province of China after spending a week in Beijing completing our practical training. The level of training as provided by i-to-i trainer James was exceptional and the support from ImmerQi was so beneficial. Even on arrival in Wuxi we were met and shown around by very helpful school staff who helped us get orientated and locate the basics. Highly recommend this programme to others.

• ImmerQi responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 1:19 AM

Thanks for your lovely comment! We are so glad you enjoyed China and the program, you guys are wonderful teachers and its been a pleasure hearing about your China adventures. Stay in touch!

A little challenging

My school has welcomed me very well. Their local English teachers are very interested in improving their English, especially by talking to a foreign teacher. Some of the teachers are very helpful by showing us around in the city etc. I am also improving my Chinese as I have been talking to them every day.

My students are aged 2-6 years. The 2 years old are a challenge to teach as some of them don't even speak Chinese yet and they can't sit still or keep focus but they are adorable! The 3 years old and up are easier to teach and are a lot of fun to teach.

A good program

I think ImmerQi is a good program. Without them, I wouldn't have had the chance to come to China, let alone have the chance to teach English here, because I never could have organized it by myself. I think it's hard to get in contact with Chinese people, because of the language and cultural differences. But with ImmerQi it was possible. That's really great.

Fulfilling and exciting

The Teach and Travel China experience has been one of the most fulfilling and exciting things I have done in my life. The program offered me a chance to see and live in China for an extended period of time and discover the richness of Chinese culture. The program trained me how to teach English and I am now qualified to teach English as a foreign language.

The staff at ImmerQi were fantastic, helping with all aspects of settling into a new lifestyle and culture. This program allows participants to meet many interesting people and make friends from all over the world.

For anyone considering this trip, my advice would be to just go for it, I've had some amazing experiences and made some life long friends, it's been thoroughly enjoyable.

What an adventure

At the start of 2009, I found a program for young people called Teach and Travel China. I am not a teacher and I am not a native speaker, I am an old lady. At the end of the year I will be 69 and I used English a lot during my professional life.

What an adventure I thought, to live for half a year in China as an English teacher. I have never been a teacher, the same as most of the other people on the program, and we did not speak Chinese so we needed some very special preparation for teaching English to Chinese students.

Our task was to help the Chinese students with their pronunciation, understanding and speaking of the English language. After this training, TTC sent us to a school. Participants were placed all across China and so we were sent on our travels to our new home. I was placed with a 27 year old Scotsman. I was sent to Tangshan, around 220km east of Beijing. Initially I thought that I could go alone to any place in China. However, time told me that I needed the company of this intelligent, friendly and funny young man.

I became more patient, more modest and I learned a lot about China. If you want to know more about China, come and join the Teach & Travel China program!

A year teaching in China

My overall experience was good, there were a few things that the school was responsible for that were kind of shit, but that's not ImmerQis fault.
We had a person from the company in our city which was really good and helped a lot when you needed help with something. I was very lucky to end up with a great group of people as well.