ImmerQi Header Image ImmerQi Header Image

Business and Consulting Internships

The real China in Beijing

As soon as I made my decision to come to China, I had become increasingly anxious about the 6 months I would spend there. My colleagues asked me questions like where I would stay, what I would do, how would I be able to communicate with my limited knowledge of Mandarin. Unable to answer all those questions, I started to worry a bit myself. I decided it would be best to play it by the ear and see where it would take me.

Luckily, I didn't have to worry for too long. The program provider I decided to make this journey with, Immerqi, realized my anxiousness and guided me step by step till my arrival to Beijing. From applying for my visa to answering general questions about life aspects in China, I felt ready as I crossed through immigrations and met my intern manager, Asiya, who then accompanied me to my accommodation.

By the time I had to go to work the next week, I felt prepared after the presentations and different cultural/social tips given by Immerqi. Throughout my time here, I was always assisted by Immerqi when I came across situations beyond my Mandarin skills, starting from operating the washing machine properly (all the labels were in Chinese characters) to yelling at Uber drivers when one of my friends forget his phone in the car and the driver decided to keep it for himself (we got the phone back in 3 days!!!).

Professionally, I believe I have gained experiences that I would not have been able to gain anywhere else. I worked for the Chamber of Commerce for the Private Sector and during my first three months, my manager promoted me to project manager for two of our international projects. Through my work here, I have had the opportunities to meet mayors of multiple cities in China (Nanjing, Panjin, Shenyang, etc.), Senators and Ministers from different European countries and also entrepreneurs in different fields. My network has grown multiple folds in the last few months and I believe they would be invaluable connections later in life.

One incident in particular that has to be mentioned would be the time our apartment complex was having problems with water connectivity. We were given notice that there would be no hot water for an entire month. I bought this development to Immerqi's attention and they booked me a hotel room very close to my apartment so that I could shower there. The priority on my well-being that Immerqi had displayed had truly made me happy and I had the comfort of knowing that they had my back in China.

Overall, at the end of the six months, I am happy I made this decision to come to China and my life has forever changed due to experiences I have gained and the friends I have made. My opinion of China has changed completely in these few months and I'm certain that I will be back here for more.

Two internships: A developed start-up & a new start-up

The time that I've spent in China has been honestly amazing and truly life changing. Although cliché, my approach to life professionally and personally has changed since coming to China. The things that I have experienced and saw, as well as doing, has changed my understanding of China and the people that live behind the closed red doors permanently. I now understand why Chinese businesses are growing quickly, and how most online-based companies are doing it. It involves personal and professional ethics that differs vastly from our American counterparts, albeit questionable by American and western standards, it is one of the main reasons for the accelerated global presence.

I have been exposed to an international team during my first internship that primarily focuses on social media marketing. We had one person from each major country (such as Russia, France, Italy, Singapore, Korea, America, and a lot more), and it was interesting to see how stark the differences were between everyone. Although it has been difficult, I had to learn how to communicate best with some of my co-workers because there were constant communication and expectation clashes. One of my most memorable experiences was my attempt to learn how to communicate better any Russian or French co-worker that I might have in the future. I learned the value of maintenance work for brands as well as branding/promotion, but I learned that this was not what I wanted to do in my future. Being able to learn what I want to do, and what I don’t like was my most important lesson from my first internship.

My second internship has been the most enriching experiences that I had during my time in China. I was able to check off a lot of my requirements and expectations of any internship experiences in China at my second company. I was able to use Mandarin on a regular basis and I was expected to carry out some tasks in the language as well, my mandarin understanding has improved tremendously. I learned so much about how to start a start-up as well as how to get funding from Chinese investors, and how some might experience their encounters with them. My boss was not only my mentor but he was also my friend as well, and has taught me so much about life and how to relate life to starting your own company. I have learned a lot from him, and about the current start-up environment.

I would love to come back and continue to learn more about how I can have a better future in this confusing country that still has its moments of absolute clarity.