ImmerQi Header Image ImmerQi Header Image

Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu Summer Internships

special months in Shanghai

it is a very usefull and fun experience. Shanghai is a very cool and vibrant city. I like it! I really like my work place, it's very friendly and the collegues are very nice. In addition I live in a very beautiful area where there are many clubs, bars, and I usually meet other friends. The apartment in which I live is nice even if sometimes is a little bit dirty. My room mates are very fun we sometimes go out together. In addition during this experience I had the opportunity to take part in some events with my host company. The last one was in a very cool and rich hotel here in Shanghai. Shanghai is a very nice city even if there are many differences in culture compared to Italy.

Beijing internship

The internship I did in Beijing was great! I got the opportunity to work with an NGO and it really opened my eyes to the "behind the scene" ongoings of non-profits, I felt like I learned a lot from my internship abroad in Beijing! The ImmerQi team were also always there to help me when I was facing issues with my apartment and having trouble getting to the airport!

An unforgettable memory

It is so amazing how time flies by so fast and how much I've learnt and grown up in such a short time. I believe this is just a beginning of my journey and I'm always prepared to learn whatever that's coming ahead. I'm so thankful and lucky enough for this internship experience.

Business development assistance

I had the great opportunity to gain an invaluable experience and skills through working independently and as part of a team in a multicultural business setting in Beijing. It was very a wonderful experience in order to give a more consolidate professional expertice and cultural knowledge. Beside the work itself, thanks to Immerqi team i was involved in many educational activities and professional events

Highly recommended for a new cultural experience

After my intensive Mandarin course, ImmerQi found me an internship that matched my preferences. They placed me in a small company, which I prefer because I can learn more and get the real Chinese experience. I have great workmates that help me every day in my job.

I had the opportunity to take company trips, to get some insight on what the company is about. I got to visit the suppliers in the Shanghai region, as well as the major clients and the commercial teams from other regions. My intention is to return to Spain and use my new knowledge and experience to create a new company, or even work for an import company. Maybe I can extend my life in China because it is a really amazing place with a different point of view. It is an exciting place to be, especially with the Olympics just around the corner and the country constantly changing without losing their cultural roots.

I would like to thank the ImmerQi staff for giving me personal attention for all my necessities. They helped me find accommodation, start my life in Beijing, organize activities, getting me involved in the country. I recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a new cultural experience.

An excellent choice!

I had always set a goal to obtain international experience before I finished my undergraduate degree. I had one semester left and I wanted to utilise my summer holiday break. Having local experience in my field was not enough in this day and time especially with the world's economic crisis. In order to stand out from the rest, I believed international experience was the key. (Why international experience? Well why not? Firstly, I wanted to prove to myself that I could survive in another country. An internship in China was an excellent choice for this kind of experience as it was totally different to what I was used to in Australia.

Different culture, different lifestyle and most importantly, a different experience. A three month experience would definitely test my adaptability and versatility. Skills and attributes that all future employers look for.

After my language training I was placed in the technical team at China Radio International in their English department for two months. (I was given a variety of technical tasks to complete throughout my two-month stint at CRI. These included things such as implementing an email server, attending to IT issues around the office and to developing an online broadcast platform for the department. Each task had a time frame, which I had to adhere to.

To complete these tasks, it required me to apply previous skills I had acquired at University but also I had to learn a lot of new things as well. For example I was familiar with the first task where I had to build an open source email server, but the second task required me to develop a Microsoft Silverlight application. I had never experience any Microsoft programming so this required some intensive research and experimenting. In the end I produced a prototype with full documentation for what my supervisor could further develop and implement. (Apart from the technical tasks I was given, I also had the opportunity to be involved in some media tasks. As I came from an English speaking country I was sometimes asked if I could read English articles that some of the local editors had written. This was an extra precaution just to make sure their articles made sense. Most of the time their articles were excellent and never needed any correcting, but I was pleased that they involved me in their writing process.

Another non-technical task was when they needed someone to do English voice-overs. I was put in a recording booth to do voice overs for an ad or story they were creating. And thirdly I was asked to be in an advertisement video, which I also assisted with the video editing, which was a lot of fun.

An interesting and rewarding experience

Working in China has been an interesting and rewarding experience. I worked at China's largest international radio network, which broadcasts in over forty different languages worldwide. I was positioned in the online English department. My four week internship was divided into the news team and the webcast team. In the news team my role was to translate and polish articles from Chinese to English as well as writing my own articles to be published on the website. Whilst I have some basic Chinese language foundation, I found these tasks challenging because the Chinese news writing style is different from English in structure and content. The most fulfilling part of the internship is being able to attend media events and practice interviewing techniques. For the webcast team, I participated as a journalist in the opening ceremony for the Olympic Family Hotel, a media promotion for a Cairo Opera at the National Centre of Performing Arts and a media conference for the launch of Olympic commemorative bank notes. I was responsible for writing the news feature, making audio recordings and editing photographs which were published on the website. I was also fortunate enough to film video recordings of news and feature stories to accompany written articles. Without any formal camera presenting training, the filming process proved to be an eye-opening experience. I was astonished by the amount of time and effort that was put in to produce a ten minute segment. The filming practice played a crucial part in developing and improving my confidence levels and speaking skills. During my internship, I have established good connections with my colleagues and they are always eager to learn more about the west. With the support of the company and ImmerQi I was able to integrate smoothly into the Chinese working life, sometimes working overtime on weekends to meet deadlines as well as participating in their annual swimming competition. I have thoroughly enjoyed the internship and through it, I have gained a better understanding of my future career direction.

Offered a wonderful opportunity

After graduating from Monash University with a Bachelor of Business Management and Economics, it was rather difficult to find a job in the real world as a manager. I turned to ImmerQi for help. They offered me a wonderful opportunity to learn from the fastest growing organization in China and the world's third largest computer manufacturing company: The Lenovo Group. Lenovo is the major Olympic partner for the 2008 Olympics Games here in Beijing, China. The best thing about working in China is that you learn a lot more about yourself. The rich Chinese culture makes living here so different from home and learning how the Chinese do business is probably one of the most valuable lessons I have learnt here to date.

You learn how to manage from an Eastern perspective and once you combine this with what you've learnt from the West it will be of great importance. My role at Lenovo is working in the Service Delivery Department reporting to the Director who is in charge of all Service Related issues in China. My primary role is to learn how each of the other the managers do their job, but there is only one specific task that I am given to do: The Lean Six Sigma. The best aspect of the internship is not only do I have great support from the people here at Lenovo Shanghai, but that ImmerQi are on standby to help whenever I need the help. They keep consistent contact with you to ensure that you are doing well at your host company. I felt like they really cared about the well being of my work-state. This I felt was very important. When I return home later this year, I hope to continue my Chinese language studies as well as start work full-time. Where I work is yet to be written! But I know how I will get there. Thank you!

Busy and exciting

China is busy, exciting and there can be a bit of a culture shock if it is your first time in an Asian country. One piece of advice I would give to other interns is that they attempt to learn some Chinese phrases before arriving in China, you will find them incredibly useful! Also, it's vital that you be open to new experiences. My China experience taught me many vital skills in my field, including how to make a basic skirt and dress. One of the best aspects of the internship was being able to meet like minded people in China.

Given plenty of opportunities!

Coming to China was a big decision but it's not one that I regret at all. I came here looking for a job and I am now employed by the company I did my internship at. My company was very accommodating and full of very helpful people. IES checked up on things frequently to ensure the internship was progressing smoothly. I was given plenty of opportunities to network with other foreigners and locals for future career development. I was shown a new way of life that is definitely different from the way things are done from my home in the UK.

Legal Intern in Chengdu

Overall experience was amazing! Cassie (my program supervisor in Chengdu) went above and beyond to make sure that my time here was memorable and well-spent. The internship itself was great aside from the fact that the hours per week didn't match with the workload (47.5 hours per week at the office vs. approximately 20-25 hours worth of actual work). Towards the end of the internship, I arranged to work less hours to have more free time to experience Chengdu, and it was absolutely fantastic! I wish I had done that from the beginning. That is my only (minor) quibble with the entire program. Every other aspect far exceeded my expectations! I can't speak for the programs in Beijing or Shanghai, but Cassie makes Chengdu the experience of a lifetime. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to come to Chengdu, or China in general.

Priceless!

I started off my internship with summarizing articles and writing questionnaires. As time went by I received more and more responsibility and I started writing my own articles from interviews I made together with a Chinese colleague.

Being interested in the clothing industry I focused on writing reports that related to this topic. So far I've had interviews with the owner of one of the few vintage stores located in Beijing, the director of the official website of Beijing Fashion Week -09 as well as the chief designer of a major Chinese label.

When I wasn't busy reporting in Beijing I was sent out of town to take part in trips. Travelling as the only foreigner in a group of 20 Chinese reporters from different media gave me an exclusive insight on China through the eyes of a reporter, an experience which in today's society I consider being priceless.

Through the internship I visited places like Shanghai, Hangzhou, Wenzhou and Suzhou to mention a few, and practiced my skills as a reporter when interviewing important people at press conferences and events taking place throughout the journey.

The other side

This program was absolutely one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My placement was amazing I worked with an Iranian-Chinese company.... Helped them launch a store and manage English speaking marketing. I met so many friends and loved the culture!