Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad - IKPVA Header Image Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad - IKPVA Header Image

Most Affordable Environmental Program in Brazil

If only I was born in Brazil

Iko Poran truly showed me the authentic life of a Brazilian. The warmth, the layback'd-ness, the everyday "Bon Dia's".... It was an experience that I will never forget. I am going to return to Brazil as soon as I can!! The people you meet, both local citizens as well as the foreign participants, have become friends I will never forget and hopefully see soon!

All in all, Iko Poran was an opportunity I would do again and again (especially to see Lola, the dorm cat).

Great experience in Rio

I was in Rio de Janeiro for 4 weeks helping out in the Tijuca rainforest and at the community garden in a favela. I met so many different people from all over the world and as a result, I not only learned about Brazil but many other cultures. It's a great way to get to know a city and have more of a local feel and the program itself is very reasonably priced. I would definitely consider coming back to Iko Poran for volunteering again.

Amazing experience

I chose to volunteer for the environmental program in Rio for two reasons; one to experience an exciting and vibrant city. Secondly because I’m about to study a course in Urban Planning and wanted to gain experience in environmental sustainability. Both were achieved and surpassed my expectations.

The environmental program is split into two areas, the community garden and the Tijuca National Forest. Both are placed near the Tijuca neighbourhood, which can take some time to get to especially coming back during rush hour traffic. However, it its defiantly worth it, as you experience other parts of Rio that other tourists would never see and feel even closer the Brazilian everyday life style. The national forest in itself is a great place to work, being alongside a team dedicated to sustaining the environment.

Overall my time at Rio could not have been better. I would defiantly recommend this program to anyone that is interested saving the environment in the most beautiful settings.

Happy travelling!

• Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad - IKPVA responded to this review July 15, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Hi Warren,
    Thank you very much for your review. It makes me really happy to know we surpassed your expectations and your time with us could not been better in our beautiful city.
    It was great to have you in Rio de Janeiro and we look forward to receiving you in other destinations. Returning volunteers have 50% off the registration fee.

One of the best experiences of my life!

Volunteering in Rio with Iko Poran was one of the best decisions I have ever made! I came to Rio to study Sociology abroad but wanted to stay longer in order to further immerse myself in the culture and make a social impact, so I decided to volunteer with Iko Poran for two weeks after my studies were over. I was able to experience the city of Rio more in two weeks with Iko Poran than I was able to in three weeks studying! Volunteering with the environmental program gave me the opportunity to see first hand the ecological challenges that Rio faces and make a difference myself while also having the chance to witness the incredible beauty of the city and parks as I was doing it! I also loved the independence that Iko Poran gave me! I was able to navigate the city by the time I left, communicate with locals, and had made life long friends in my fellow volunteers! I had plenty of time to explore after volunteering and on the weekends so I was able to see many sights and museums while also indulging in the social scene. The Rio Hostel was also wonderful! The employees became friends and the hostel became home! All in all, I loved my experience with Iko Poran and am so thrilled that I chose to experience Rio with them!

• Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad - IKPVA responded to this review July 08, 2016 at 5:38 AM

Thank you very much Destiny!
    We are happy to know you had a great time with us and look forward to receiving you again in one of our programs.
    Best wishes!!

Take me back!

I could not have imagined having an experience as great as I did. The project was very enjoyable. The lovely couple Ricardo and Dora who ran the community garden were so lovely and always strived to keep you entertained during your working hours, which amazingly finished at midday giving me the time to relax at the beach afterwards. The other project in the national forest again was very enjoyable, and provided beautiful scenery for doing more work fun work outside with a lovely team (also helped to build a great tan too!). Felipe the owner of Iko Poran was wonderful and very helpful. A very informative introduction day in which he shows you to your project and how to get there, plus a guided tour of the Rio city centre was a great way to break you in to your Rio experience. The volunteers and hostel just helped to make this experience more than I could have imagined. The staff at Rio Hostel are the friendliest bunch ever, more like a very welcoming family. And the volunteers become friends for life!

Community Conversation in Rio - Loved It

I loved my time volunteering in Rio with Iko Poran, it was a great way to see more of Rio than just the beaten tourist track. The project was split into two experiences, one in a favela and one in a national park, so you get two completely different opportunities. I loved the project in the favela more because you are so hands on and you can make a big impact in a short time. Felipe and the team give you a great orientation and tour of Rio - which is a beautiul and amazing city! The accommodation is great and my only regret is not staying longer...

First time volunteering

While I was coming to Brazil I wanted to discover something new, I didn't want to see this beautiful country just as a tourist, that's why I chose volunteering. And this turned out to be a wonderful experience at all points; working with locals you meet great people who show you the culture, the language and beyond that, meeting volunteers from abroad was such an experience that I recommend it to every people who want to make a useful and exotic break with daily life! You won't regret it!

My first time in Brazil

My goal was to get to know the culture, the people, the life, the language of Brazil and I am sure this is not possible as a normal tourist. Beside those things I wanted to do something good for people who need help and so I came to this program. And I can say all my goals were completely achieved. I had a great time in Rio regarding everything. Beside the volunteering work you even have enough time for sightseeing, to travel around and just to enjoy the time there. So I can totally recommend such an experience for everyone who really wants to get to know the culture and wants to help!