Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad - IKPVA Header Image Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad - IKPVA Header Image

Most Affordable Arts & Design Programs in Brazil

Two weeks in Brazil

My name is Barbora and I am from the Czech Republic. I spent 2 weeks in Rio as a volunteer at an art school Spectaculu. Everything was perfectly organised, when I came, Felipe was waiting for me at the airport and took me to the hostel. I was nicely surprised the hostel was clean and as I was in my room just with volunteers, I did not need to be worried about my things when I was not there. All the people there were very friendly and kind. It was my first experience as a volunteer, first time in Brazil and in a hostel and I am more than happy I chose going there through Iko Poran. During my time in Brazil, I had an amazing time and met dozens of people. It was an amazing opportunity to spent time with locals, much different than just to be a tourist. As I followed the safety rules which Felipe recommended, I did not have any single problem during my stay. Almost nobody speaks English there so it was a great challenge to practise my portuguese and in the end I noticed how much it improved. Although I worked during the week, I still found a lot of time to experience many places in Rio and get to know the people. Felipe was willing to help in every situation and also made time for us to make a barbecue with Brazilian food on the roof of the hostel. I definitely recommend Iko Poran to everybody and wish you a great time! :)

Unforgettable experience

Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad gave me the opportunity to work in an art project called Morrinho Project. I took part in the construction of a 3D model of a favela with bricks that we painted and we added positive words onto them in order to change people perception of the favela. The exhibition attracted a good audience and we received many congratulations. This collaboration was the best way to interact with locals and thanks to them discovering the real Brazil. Living in the same hostel as all the others volunteers was another side of the experience very complementary. We all worked in many different areas (environment, childcare,health, language lessons,etc). I will definitively recommend Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad because it made my trip excellent and a real human experience which gave me more happiness and self esteem for the rest of my life. Thanks to Felipe who is unbelievably available anytime and share his 20-years experience in volunteering with much devotion.

Best experience of my life at Spectaculu thanks to Iko Poran

I had for many years thought about volunteering abroad, but never got the courage to actually go ahead and do it .. that was until life was coming with responsibilities, my 27th birthday had hit and I realised I needed to do it. I got searching for different types of volunteering projects and then set my mind on volunteering in Brazil. I cam across Iko poran and read the great work and different projects they ran in Rio de Janeiro - The arts program seemed like a perfect fit for me with my skills and work experience in the arts field.

The whole project was amazing from start to finish, from the accommodation, the great support that Felipe Iko poran's coordinator was and the project itself. I loved every minute of my voluntary work at the Spectaculu college, the teachers, administrator and all of the students were absolutely amazing, they made me feel so welcome, they had such a passion to learn and the work they produced was outstanding!

One of the biggest things I cherished about being at this project was the warmth of everyone, there was never a time that I was left alone, everyone got me involved and they had lots of questions for me, when I gave a workshop on photography and portfolios I could feel the acute awareness of them wanting to know how to progress and do things to the best standards ... Everyone at the project would include me in every aspect of their day and the break out times the students were keen to learn about life in England and learn English :). Even the cleaner and the cook would make sure I was ok everyday giving me a hug and making sure I had eaten .. I have never felt so welcome in my life and I appreciated that so much.

I would recommend anyone who wants to volunteer to definitely work through Iko plan and anyone who has a passion for creative arts, photography and marketing to definitely give this programme a try, it was by fat the best experience of my life!

Thank you so much to everyone at Spectaculu and to Felipe at Iko poran.