if i could... Internship Programme Header Image if i could... Internship Programme Header Image

Communications Internship

Communication and Programme Assistant

2013 was when I discovered my fascination towards South Africa. Thanks to my Indian friends working in Cape Town, the terrific pictures of Table Mountain and Camps Bay they posted really had me. And when I further realised that the city was a mix of both, the first and the third world (unlike the rest of Africa), I became hellbent on looking for an opportunity to work there.

I started out by randomly browsing on the web to find organisations that look for international interns in the development sector and to my surprise only one one them responded to me - if i could... I was amazed at their short turn-around time and the way they so quickly and efficiently offered me an internship of my choice. From doing back to back Skype calls to discuss my role during the internship to ensuring that I carry with me the right kind of clothing for Cape Town weather, the if i could... team was beyond helpful. Needless to say, my arrival and settlement in Cape Town was very well taken care of by them.

I have now been here for over four months at iic... and I never wish to leave Cape Town already. Working on a programme and communications internship I have truly gained a multitude of experience in writing, blogging, social media, communication strategy and more. And I only look forward to keep contributing to the amazing work this organisation does, that is, give meaning to your travel.

Internship with if i could...

I decided to undertake this internship in order to gain experience in the tourism sector. I am currently studying this at university and wanted to get practical experience, I wanted to put into practice the theoretical knowledge I have picked up during my time at university. I also wanted to learn more about communications and marketing during my time at if i could…I was previously involved in some promotion work, so I was very excited to learn more about the other aspects of marketing. I chose to intern at if i could… because it gives me the opportunity to meet new people and learn about other cultures. I am also learning a lot about the transport sector and gaining insights into customer service. I am having a lot of fun and it has made me want to learn more. This internship will definitely help me in the future. It will help me become a better tour guide and will give me the confidence to speak to others about travelling destinations. Marketing and communications plays a big role in the tourism sector, so this internship will help me in this regard. It will also be helpful when marketing my own tourism business one day.